Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2008 Summer Olympics

Go down 
+11
Lily
Rob
Misti
Rhonda
Carol
Kristina
Coach Jon
Savannah
Trixie
EllieJane
Teresa
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286
Mood : 2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Happy010

2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 9:03 am

Oh my gosh............did anyone see the men's swimming relay last night? The US men barely edged out France for the gold. Another gold medal for Phelps!! They're calling it the greatest swimming relay of all-time. I was jumping up and down at the end, screaming under my breath because my kids were asleep. LOL!!! GO, GO, GO, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was AMAZING!!
The women's gymnastics did well. The US gymnasts had a couple of bobbles, but at least they got the kinks out. I saw a wonderful story about a woman gymnast from Germany. She's 33 years old, and is competing in her 5th Olympics. Can you believe it? 33 years old and still able to compete at that level in gymnastics!!!!!!!!!!! I'm only 3 years older and couldn't even imagine doing that. LOL!! She has a young son who is in remission for leukemia. I watched her compete on the vault last night and she was great. She was so good, that she will be able to compete in the individual round on the vault, with a chance to win a medal. I hope that she does. What a wonderful story!! I love hearing about athletes from around the world.

2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : 2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 11:27 am

Oh my gosh Teresa, the men's swimming relay was just AWESOME!!! :woohooo: I couldn't believe Lezak's speed...even at the end of 20 meters...the French was still ahead! I thought my heart was gonna stop! I have to admit, I thought the French was going to get the gold, but I'm so glad I was wrong. How about Katie Hoff, OMG...I felt so heartbroken for her. No

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : 2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 12:05 pm

I'm sorry I missed that! I haven't been watching---too busy getting my son ready for college!!---but I'm hoping to get some viewing in this week. I only care about swimming and gymnastics. That is quite the story about the 33 yr old gymnast Teresa! Makes me feel even more out of shape than ever! grinsmiley

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : 2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 12:53 pm

Lily wrote:
How about Katie Hoff, OMG...I felt so heartbroken for her. No

Who is she? My maiden name is Hoff......
:think:

2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Rhonda102008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 1:11 pm

Rhonda,
Katie Hoff is a 19 year old swimmer from Maryland.

Oh my gosh, she was sooooooooooo close to winning the gold last night. Did you see her mom in the crowd? 7 tenths of a second.....................

Bob Costas was saying that one of the French relay swimmers was quoted as saying that they were going to "smash the Americans," last night. Hmmm.......needless to say, he hasn't said much since. LOL!! I believe his last name is Bernard.

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : 2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Needless to say, I was at work, not getting to watch the Olympics like I would like to....... No

2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Rhonda102008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 1:25 pm

:alright:
Back to top Go down
Coach Jon
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Coach Jon

Number of posts : 465
Location : The Harriet Oleson Institute for the Advancement of Blind Children

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 5:14 pm

What in the world is with the Rumanian Olympic Team? Is this some weird alternate reality?

Please bring back Octavian Belu because so far watching them just depresses me.

But add me to the list of folks who were on the edge of their seat last night cheering for that US swimming relay team. Fantastic! I literally yelled "Yeah!" at the finish... which probably woke some people up here at the hotel. But shame on them for not staying up to watch it!

Looking forward to tonight's events.

Anybody watch the US/China Basketball game this past weekend?

2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 NelliesRestaurantAdvertisement
"Only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain."
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 5:29 pm

Yes, I watched the basketball game. The first quarter and a half were close, but then the US team pulled away. LOL, Jon!! I was yelling too last night during that relay, but as I said before, I was in whisper mode. It's just so exciting watching all of the events, isn't it? My 5 year old daughter could hardly wait until the women's gymnastics started. Her eyes totally lit up when she saw Shawn Johnson and Nastia. I even got tears in my eyes when I saw Shawn. It has to be so surreal for them. They train so incredibly hard.

Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 9:23 pm

I was watching some tonight and its news to me they have the pairs diving. You imagine the training that goes into that??

2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Hummer2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 MistiKeeper2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Bookclub52008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 9:40 pm

The pairs diving would be VERY difficult. So many of them are right on though. I guess that's what years of practice will get you. I'm excited to see Michael Phelps swim again tonight.

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 11:39 pm

I am FREAKING OUT right now!!!!!!!!! The US men's gymnastic team is kickin' it into high gear tonight! They are doing soooooooo awesome! They would love to just win the silver, but they could actually win the gold. The Hamm brothers had to pull out right before the Olympics because of injuries, so it was looking a little bleak for them. But they are bringing it tonight!!
And then there's Michael Phelps! He just blows my mind. He is one of the most AMAZING athletes I have ever seen. By far the most amazing swimmer. Another gold medal tonight, and he's only half way done. He just finished 8 of his 17 events.
My goodness, I haven't been this excited since American Idol! LOL!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so excited to watch the women's gymnastic team tomorrow night!

Back to top Go down
Coach Jon
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Coach Jon

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 8:16 am

Last night was definitely cool. The Chinese men on Rings were outstanding, which they make look ridiculously easy. Of course, they make just about every event look ridiculously easy, so it's always fun to watch them.

But the US was outstanding too... especially on High Bar. Up until the Pommel Horse, they were neck-and-neck with China, so it was a very exciting competition to watch and worthy of shouting at the screen. When you consider that the US team is made up of all Olympic newcomers as well as the last minute alternates, their winning a bronze is pretty impressive. I thought they really had a chance at Silver through most of last night, but Bronze is still an impressive feat. So who knows what next year holds, right?

In any case, it was great for the China team to win on their home turf. They definitely earned it.

"Only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain."
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 9:41 am

Yeah, I thought the US men had the silver wrapped up, but they were so happy with the bronze, considering they weren't expected to medal at all. I was very proud of those guys. They put everything they had into their routines last night. The Chinese men did an awesome job!

Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : 2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 10:57 am

The Chinese were fantastic last night! But I have to give it all to our American team, they went out against all odds without the Hamm twins, weren't expected to win any medals at all. Alexander Artemev was just awesome! :woohooo: He secured the bronze medal from his amazing pommel horse, his high air style was such a breathtaking sight to watch!!! Cloud 9

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : 2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 6:02 pm

I happened to see an Olympic sport being played this afternoon... and I have no idea what it was. It kind of resembled field hockey, with a net and goalie, but it was played indoors, and without sticks. The players run around with a ball that looks a little smaller than a volleyball, and dribble it occasionally, and try to get past the defenders and throw it into the opposing team's net.

I checked the official Olympics website and didn't see any sports that seemed to fit that description. Anybody know what it is?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 6:44 pm

Rob, I'm pretty sure that it's handball. It's listed as a sport in the Olympics, and they showed a small pic of it.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : 2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 7:04 pm

I'll be darned. I just checked out the handball pic on the Olympic site, and I do believe you're right. The only handball I was aware of was the one where you play with one opponent, and smack the little rubber ball off a wall with the palm of your hand.
Back to top Go down
EllieJane
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
EllieJane

Number of posts : 542
Mood : 2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Scared10

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 12:10 am

Devastating.
Back to top Go down
Coach Jon
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Coach Jon

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 12:34 am

Michael Phelps Did It!!!!!!!!!!!

(not that I ever doubted he would, but it's much more cool now that it's concrete and in the past)

As for gymnastics, this was definitely China's year for team competition! Very, very impressive, even with their minor hick-ups early on. I think the best point of the show was Jiang Yuyuan on floor. Reminded me of Moceanu's Floor Exercise from the 96 games, how she used charisma to steer the crowd and just made the whole routine look fun. Tonight's no doubt a good night to be a Chinese gymnastics fan! So congrats, China! Applause

Back to top Go down
EllieJane
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
EllieJane

Number of posts : 542
Mood : 2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Scared10

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 1:00 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! I'm so happy!!! Yay Nastia and Shawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Applause
Back to top Go down
Coach Jon
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Coach Jon

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 7:23 am

Nastia was outstanding! Her Bars, her Beam, and her Floor were essentially pure grace and she certainly earned it. Like a lot of other people, I thought Johnson had the edge... but right after the second rotation it was pretty obvious Nastia was taking it home. She just had the right discipline, the right mindset, and simply seemed to want it more than anyone else out there. You could tell her father was certainly happy! And now the US has back-to-back All Around gold medals because of it... not to mention the silver Johnson picked up for herself. On China's side, I was very upset about Yuyuan's early fall... but quite impressed with her attitude in finishing the events. She really kept it together all the way through, which a few other athletes could certainly take some pointers from. And it was nice to see a Romanian coming close to the Individual All Around podium again... even if they did fall short.

The other thing from last night was the women's beach volleyball. That very close first set between the USA and Belgium (what an excellent team Belgium turned out to be to make the US women work harder than I've seen them this Games). But the second set was quick for the US, clearly having the momentum and having adapted to Belgium's strategy.

Great night of Olympics all around... much, much better than Wednesday night!

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 10:18 am

I was so excited for Nastia and Shawn last night!! I hope that Shawn is able to win at least one gold medal in the upcoming individual events. She certainly deserves it!!!! After the medal ceremony, Bob Costas said something like, "Shawn Johnson, the girl from Valley High School." LOL!! That was my high school, so it was funny to hear Bob say it on national TV.

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 3:32 pm

I'm impressed you guys saw the gymnastics. I was trying but kept falling asleep. I did manage to see the floor exercise to see who the winner would be.

2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 6:43 pm

And how cool was it to see Mary Lou Retton in the stands and I'm not sure which one of the girls acknowledging her?

They said Nadia Comaneci was in the stands, too, though I was running around doing things & I didn't check to see if they showed her and Bela Caroli as a commentator?

I'm sure everyone knows that Nadia is married to fellow Olympic champion, Bart Connor. Hasn't he been one of the commentators for this Olympics and past ones, too?

Watching Bela's reactions to Nastia's routine was so cool!

2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Hummer2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 MistiKeeper2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Bookclub52008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Summer Olympics   2008 Summer Olympics - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

2008 Summer Olympics
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next