Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND"

Go down 
+12
Honeybee
alexczarn
Krissy
Prairie Dweller
Kristina
Carol
bethandmanly
jes9
Vanesa
JW
Samantha
georgiagirl1993
16 posters
AuthorMessage
georgiagirl1993
Town Business Owner
Town Business Owner
georgiagirl1993

Number of posts : 1585
Mood : "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Bokmal10

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Empty
PostSubject: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 6:09 pm

[Note from Carol regarding Editing]
Since I do the Episode Reviews, I have been given acces in the Episode Reviews forum to edit, move posts so that all posts regarding an episode stay together. If I post an episode review that has some post already started.... instead of me using the quotes feature... I will just edit the first post of whoever started the thread about that episode to include the pictures of the episodes at the top of the thread. That way, all comments and posts remain in their original form. [End of Carol's Note]

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND"
"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Trees

Mary and John have fallen deeply in love and want to get married, but John has a problem. He must decide if he will accept a scholarship and go to college or stay with Mary. At first Mary doesn't want him to go until she and John both realize that he must take the scholarship to try to make his dreams of becoming a writer a reality.

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" RideWind1

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" RideWind2

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" RideWind3

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Booksca

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" RideWind4

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" RideWind5

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" RideWind6

------------------------
(starmonkey said....)

I'm sitting here watching this episode now on Hallmark and I had to do a quick calculation in my mind when Charles tells John in a year and half when Mary is 15 she's his. I'm thinking "wow! she's only 13 1/2 and engaged". It just seems so young even for back in those days.

(Kalin said...)
I was thinking the exact same thing while I was watching it. It was way to young to be engaged, at least I thought so. I mean, he made Laura wait till she was seventeen, he almost made her wait till she was eighteen. I guess them being around the same age had something to do with it, but when Charles told John he had to wait he looked suprised, like it was no big deal she was only 13.

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Keeper
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney
Back to top Go down
Samantha
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Samantha

Number of posts : 199
Mood : "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Mornincoffee

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 7:16 pm

Being engaged at 13 1/2 back in the Prairie Days was not unusual...nobody expected women to do much besides get married and have children in those days...and people didn't live as long...so you got married early..

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" SamanthaKeeper

"Music is a Kind and Truthful Speech"
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Happy011

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 9:17 pm

That's one thing i don't understand Why did Laura have to wait so long and mary was engaged 13 1/2 already and got married when she was 16 and Laura have to wait till 17

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Jacobk10"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Jacob210
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyWed Jul 04, 2007 5:24 am

Well I guess it had something to do with Mary's first engagement to fail. I guess Charles had learned through bitter experience that it was too early to get engaged. Furthermore it came ahrder on him to let Laura go. I thiknk it was about the personality of the two girls. Laura always appeared a bit younger than Mary when she was her age. Actually that was what Laura had to struggle wit quite a long time: To make clear that she also had grown up, even if she had a different way than Mary.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptySun Jul 08, 2007 6:52 pm

I think this epie was made to show that we must not rush into a thing, but think a lot about it. Evidently John Jr. was not the man for Mary, and John wouldn't deserve a girl as good as her, LOL.... mad He was a womanizer and a liar...Poor Mary was not lucky with men, as you may notice: she had more suitors than Laura and she couldn't marry any of them! Poor thing....And she wasn't lucky with her babies either: at first moment, she suffered a miscarriage and after having a beatiful baby boy, he was dead among the fire...Mary has the sadest storylines of the show...She was a kinda of tear-jerker.... :think: mad

Vanesa.

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 10:05 am

I just saw this one again yesterday after not having seen it in a while. This is a great episode. There's a lot in it -- the difficult decision John had to make, the tension between him and Isiah, and Mary growing up and realizing the right thing to do was to tell John to go to college. This episode is good with continuity, which as we know is quite lacking in other episodes. It continues the John/Isiah dynamic from His Father's Son and sets up the breakup of John and Mary in Times of Change. I can't help but wonder how things would have turned out if John had turned down the scholarship, married Mary, and become a farmer. Would he have been satisfied? Would he always have wondered "what if"? Would he have cheated on Mary? How would he have handled Mary's blindness? Interesting things to think about. I also can't help but feel sorry for Mary. Blue

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 4:31 pm

I don't go out of my way to watch this episode because I know that John Jr. will later be made into a bad guy and is killed off in Season 8 without getting a chance to redeem himself. That's why my first fanfiction, "Second Chance" was about John returning to WG after finding out Mary was going blind and admitting that he realized his mistake and wanted to beg her forgiveness but felt he didn't deserve it.

All the things you mention, John, are great parts of this episode, as is the way Grace realizes that no matter how much Isaiah and John love each other, they are destined to live very different lives. Mary is forced to grow up very quickly in this episode, as she is forced to do in Times of Change. And actually, I spend a lot of the series feeling bad for Mary because she deals with so many illnesses and disappointments in life that it is good to find her in love with Adam. But the hard times continue to plague her: almost not marrying Adam because of her fears of the future, the closing of the blind school in Winoka, her miscarriage, the loss of Baby Adam and the fire at the blind school in WG, hoping she would regain her sight but having to stand by as Adam regains his sight and goes on to live his dream of becoming a lawyer, and finally being taken away from her family so that Adam can pursue his career. Mary must have had the strength of Job not to let some of those things break her.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Happy010

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 2:20 am

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Reporter2 I thought this was a sad episode. Mr. Edwards and John are so different. The look Mr. Edwards gives John at the beginning of the episode when John is talking about wondering what the eagle thought about them is kind of funny.
Anyway, I felt so bad for Mary. It showed how much she loved John... I mean, she was willing to let him go so that he could be happy. It's too bad they drifted apart... well HE did... Mary remained faithful which is something John didn't do. mad

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Horses10
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7887

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 10:32 am

13 1/2 was really young to be engaged! though I have to say I'm glad Mary and John didn't get married, because then Mary wouldn't of had a close relationship with Adam, and I liked Adam's character
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 6:44 pm

I remember watching this episode when I was little and thinking that Mary seemed old enough. Now I think, "She's just a kid! No one should be engaged at thirteen!"

I do like how this episode continued the tension that would flair up between John and Mr. Edwards.
I'm also glad that John did end up taking the scholarship as that definitely was the correct choice.

I, personally, don't care for John, but this is one episode that I don't mind him in.

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Headac10

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 11:56 am

That's too young to be geting married. women really got married young back then..I did't really like john.Sad Episode

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:28 am

Haven't seen it but all I'd say is, "Poor Mary."

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3579

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 10:23 am

Wow, only 13 1/2 years old in engaged. Things has change over the years. I like this episode. I didn't know, Mary was engaged to John.

It's a good thing, I'm re-watching LHOTP Some of the episodes, I remember & others I totally forgot about.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 5:54 pm

I'am so glad that times has changed. It's so nice that the society accpects more from women then just getting married and giving birth.Cooking and cleaning. I don't think I"d be happy with that type of life.

I'am glad they didn't get married either. I'am glad mary gets married to adam latter on.They suited eacher better.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:40 pm

JW wrote:
That's one thing i don't understand Why did Laura have to wait so long and mary was engaged 13 1/2 already and got married when she was 16 and Laura have to wait till 17

I said the same thing to my husband tonight.....we are currently watching the episode He loves me........Percival's first apearance

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
Ruth
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ruth

Number of posts : 2916
Mood : "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 2:59 am

I guess Mary was a little more mature than Laura..That's probably why.

Leaves "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" RuthKeeper Leaves
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Ruth wrote:
I guess Mary was a little more mature than Laura..That's probably why.

Yeah,I think she was. Thumbsup

Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1060

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 10:31 pm

I never thought Mary would end up with John when I watched this years ago, not because she becomes blind but I knew he would change and she would hate the city and he would not be able to survive in a place like Walnut Grove.
I liked the Sanderson children, if they stayed in Walnut Grove, I don't think the Cooper children would have been necessary.
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 553

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptySat Feb 06, 2021 11:14 pm

I just finished watching this one, and I don't really remember it from seeing it previously, although I probably had seen it before. It doesn't seem to be one that people talk a lot about, but it is a good episode. I also am glad that Mary realized that John wouldn't be the same if he gave up his dream of being a writer. And I actually think it was good that Mary let him go, as later on we find out that he apparently didn't really love Mary the way that he thought he did. Maybe they were both still too immature to be making all those plans of marriage and the future, even if people did do that back then at such a young age.
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3579

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyMon Nov 22, 2021 4:30 pm

^That was heart breaking, when John told Mary come to Chicago. Then Pa found out, what John was doing. I think Mary found out, as well. Or did Pa told Mary what he saw on the Terrance. Cause she really loved John, at the time.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7887

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" EmptyTue Jun 25, 2024 5:11 pm

I watched this entire episode for the first time. I appreciated the moments of humor between Charles and John Jr. in between the more serious parts of the episode. "Don't you want to have that talk now?"
I did not agree with Mr. Edwards I this episode, and thought he behaved the same way towards his son as he did in the second season episode when he bought John Jr. the gun. He just couldn't accept who his son was and wanted to be, which was a writer and not a farmer and hunter. I'm glad he came to terms with this before the end of the episode, because it helped John Jr. when Mr. Edwards finally accepted him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "I'LL RIDE THE WIND"   "I'LL RIDE THE WIND" Empty

Back to top Go down

"I'LL RIDE THE WIND"
Page 1 of 1