Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Paul Harvey passes away

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112
Mood : Paul Harvey passes away Happy010

Paul Harvey passes away Empty
PostSubject: Paul Harvey passes away   Paul Harvey passes away EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 3:27 pm

Rest in peace... Love

Famed U.S. broadcaster Paul Harvey dies at age 90
Paul Harvey, who captivated millions of radio listeners daily with his staccato delivery, firmly set opinions and old-fashioned outlook, died on Saturday at the age of 90, ABC News said.

Harvey died at a hospital near his winter home in Phoenix, the network said. No cause of death was immediately available.

He was on the air for more than 60 years, becoming a fixture across the United States in 1951 when he joined ABC Radio.

Working out of Chicago, Harvey started his show each day by barking, "Hello, Americans, this is Paul Harvey! Stand by for news!" and would sign off with a forceful "Paul Harvey ... good day!" In between, he flung out a variety of trademark phrases that listeners came to expect like, "Stay tuned for the rest of the story" and "May I have your undivided for just a moment."

Harvey's twice-daily radio broadcasts at one time reached an estimated 22 million listeners who tuned in for his observations, homespun wisdom and opinions on the news.

"I don't think of myself as a profound journalist," he told an interviewer. "I think of myself as a professional parade watcher who can't wait to get out of bed every morning and rush down to the teletypes and pan for gold."

Harvey also was a marketing powerhouse, interspersing his broadcasts with commercials he narrated. He said he agreed to plug only products he used himself, which meant turning down 10 sponsors for every one he endorsed.

Products that met Harvey's expectations could almost always count on a surge in sales after he read their commercials.

In 2006, Forbes.com quoted an ABC executive as saying Harvey was bringing in more than 10 percent of the network's $300 million in advertising billings. The network was so pleased with Harvey's work that he was given a 10-year, $100 million contract in 2000.

Former President George W. Bush said in a statement that he and his wife, Laura, "are saddened by the death of Paul Harvey. Paul was a friendly and familiar voice in the lives of millions of Americans. His commentary entertained, enlightened, and informed."

STARTED IN RADIO AT AGE 14

Paul Harvey Aurandt was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on September 14, 1918, the son of a police officer who was killed in the line of duty when Paul was 3.

He was only 14 when he started in radio in 1933 at KVOO-AM, a small Tulsa radio station. He was later a program director there while attending the University of Tulsa and went on to work at stations in Salinas, Kansas, Oklahoma City and St. Louis.

After joining the Army Air Corps for four years, Harvey moved to Chicago, then a major U.S. center of radio broadcasting, and spent his career anchored there. The city honored him by naming a section of a downtown street Paul Harvey Drive.

At one point, more than 1,300 U.S. radio stations and 400 overseas carried his reports. A mix of conservative, liberal and libertarian, Harvey always was an optimist who loved to share a giggle about an oddball event or the little guy who beat the system.

Harvey met his wife, Lynne Cooper, who he nicknamed Angel, while working in St. Louis after admiring her car. Harvey proposed to her on their first date.

"As I looked at him, I thought, this man is going to go places," Angel Harvey once said.

They worked together for decades and their son, Paul Jr., later joined them as writer for the "Rest of the Story" segments. Angel Harvey died last year.

Harvey rarely took time off for a vacation and often said he would never retire from broadcasting.

"What would I do? Play more golf? The way I play? My goodness that's real torment," he once told Reuters. "And I certainly don't enjoy sitting on a creek bank drowning worms more than one day a year. I'd rather be sitting at that typewriter painting pictures. I'd rather be doing that than anything else.

Paul Harvey passes away HummerPaul Harvey passes away MistiKeeperPaul Harvey passes away Bookclub5Paul Harvey passes away Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Paul Harvey passes away Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Paul Harvey passes away Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Paul Harvey passes away   Paul Harvey passes away EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Love I always loved hearing his broadcasts. I'd sit spellbound, waiting to hear "The Rest of the Story" with everyone else. He had such a gift!

And now that Paul Harvey has reached heaven, he knows the rest of the story. Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : Paul Harvey passes away Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Paul Harvey passes away   Paul Harvey passes away EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 4:35 pm

I read this in this mornings paper. Paul Harvey always intrigued me with his research and stories. I had no idea he was 90 years old, what a wonderful long life he lived, and as you said Savannah, he knows the rest of the story. My condolences to his family and close friends. Love

Paul Harvey passes away Rhonda10Paul Harvey passes away Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Docfan
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 225
Mood : Paul Harvey passes away Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: Paul Harvey passes away   Paul Harvey passes away EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 7:27 pm

I didn't know he was that old either. My thoughts go to him, his family and friends...he will be missed.
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Paul Harvey passes away Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Paul Harvey passes away   Paul Harvey passes away EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 11:30 pm

Wow he was 90? i never new that My condolences to his family and close friends

Paul Harvey passes away Jacobk10Paul Harvey passes away Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paul Harvey passes away   Paul Harvey passes away Empty

Back to top Go down

Paul Harvey passes away
Page 1 of 1