Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Maureen's Marathons

Go down 
+13
Lori
flatbroke
EllieJane
Amy
Vanesa
pamh36
Lily
bethandmanly
Rob
Savannah
Rhonda
ChristinaAL
carolineingalls
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

Number of posts : 1209
Mood : Maureen's Marathons Pbucket

Maureen's Marathons Empty
PostSubject: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi everyone! I'm back and I DID IT!!! 4 hours 52 minutes it took me but I ran in and completed the New York City Marathon last Sunday. What a fantastic time my 4 friends and I had. We all completed what was our second marathon within 30 minutes of each other and what a place to do it in. The atmosphere was electric and I can't speak highly enough of the massive crowds who turned out to support all the runners. It was like being carried along on a massive wave of cheering and applauding. I've never experienced anything like it in my life. We were all on a high for days afterwards, even through all the pain and blisters, but it was worth it and I hope we'll get the chance to do it again.

We were all sa to learn of the death of Ryan Shay, the American runner who died the day before the Marathon and he was in most peoples thoughts on the day.

When the 5 of us had recovered slightly we hit the New York Shops and did a good bit of Christmas shopping! It's truly amazing how much cheaper certain things are in US and we were all able to save quite a bit on the gifts we brought home.

Although myself and my friend Janet had been to New York before, the other 3 girls hadn't, so we did the site tours for them - Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building and took a trip to Washinton DC and Arlington.

It was a fantastic trip all round and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your kind words of support.

Maureen's Marathons MaureenKeeper

"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 4:38 pm

Wow Maureen, what a cool experience for you! I'm glad you completed the marathon and had such a fun time in New York City! :)

Maureen's Marathons ChristinaKeeper2 Maureen's Marathons 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : Maureen's Marathons Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 4:59 pm

WELCOME BACK!!!! Glad you had such a wonderful time.......and your running time was good!!!Thumbsup

My older brother ran the Boston Marathon a few years back and he did so well, they invited him back.....I don't kow if he went back, but he is certainly a running fool........grinsmiley

I was amazed at the woman who did win it.....they say she was 9 months out from giving birth to her 2nd child, so that would make her training while being pregnant....and lot of controversy over that, but amazing story.......Huh?

Maureen's Marathons Rhonda10Maureen's Marathons Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!

Last edited by on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Maureen's Marathons Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Maureen's Marathons Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Welcome back, Maureen! I'm glad that you had a safe trip, and a good time!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 5:31 pm

Welcome back, Maureen! Glad you did well.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : Maureen's Marathons Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 6:41 pm

Congratulations, Maureen! So glad to hear you did well and that you had fun in NYC. Come again! Thumbsup

That was sad about Ryan Shay. He came from a town pretty close to where I live, so his death was very much in the news here.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Maureen's Marathons Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Maureen's Marathons Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 8:13 pm

Oops! I forgot to say Congratulations on completing the marathon!! That's a wonderful accomplishment.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Maureen's Marathons Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 8:24 pm

That's great Maureen. Congratulations! If you ask me, there is nothing like shopping for Christmas in New York.

Glad you're back.

Cheryl

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Maureen's Marathons LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Maureen's Marathons Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 10:43 pm

Welcome back Maureen and congratulations!! Thumbsup

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyMon Nov 12, 2007 7:52 am

Thanks everyone for all your kind words. Wish I could have hooked up with you all why I was in US. Maybe some day!! That would be fun. We were made so incredibly welcome by everyone we met. I don't know if it's the Irish/American thing or what but on behalf of my 4 friends and myself, thanks USA. What a great place. It's no wonder you're all so patriotic.

Rhonda, the girl who won the ladies race, Paula Radcliffe, is one of the UK's top runners. She's not pregnant at the moment but gave birth to her daughter 9 months ago. What an incredible lady. Who says women are the weaker sex!

"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyMon Nov 12, 2007 8:30 am

carolineingalls wrote:
Rhonda, the girl who won the ladies race, Paula Radcliffe, is one of the UK's top runners. She's not pregnant at the moment but gave birth to her daughter 9 months ago. What an incredible lady. Who says women are the weaker sex!

That is what I meant, it just didn't come out that way.....she was pregnant during her training and that is what the controversy was about.....many doctors felt it was too strenuous a workout for a pregnant woman and others sais if her body was used to the workout there ould be no problem......Her baby she is holding in the news picture is the one she gave birth to, and to look at her skinny body, it it amazing she just gave birth. Wink

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyMon Nov 12, 2007 1:35 pm

Welcome back Maureen! And congratulations on running the marathon!! I'm glad to hear that you had a good time in NYC.

Maureen's Marathons PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Maureen's Marathons Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyMon Nov 12, 2007 10:50 pm

Welcome back Maureen! What a good thing you enjoyed your travel. I wish I could go to the USA's just to know Ingalls Homesite...and visit all my LHOTP friends, of course! happy1 Congrats for being in the Marathon! :woohooo:

Vanesa.

Maureen's Marathons Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Maureen's Marathons Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyTue Nov 13, 2007 10:31 am

Congratulations Maureen!!!

You are quite the inspiration! That is an amAzing feat and you make us all proud! Thumbsup You can be very proud of yourself, not only for an awesome running time, but just for setting your mind to doing something so huge. Applause I'm glad you had a such a good time, and I'm very pleased that you felt a wam welcome from the American people. Thumbsup

I had heard about Ryan Shay...I can imagine how that affected everyone running and I'm sure so many were running in honor of him. What a sad tragedy.

One question...were you running with any famous people, that you know of? Just curious!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyTue Nov 13, 2007 1:33 pm

Amy wrote:
[size=18] One question...were you running with any famous people, that you know of? Just curious!

I heard Tom Cruise's wife ran in it......then attended a night out all dressed up in an evening gown and didn't look worn out or tired.....must be nice....:haha:

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyTue Nov 13, 2007 3:10 pm

Really?! Wow...talk about wonder woman!! OhMy Between her and this mother of the 9month old, I'm feeling pretty inadequate! Whistle

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
EllieJane
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
EllieJane

Number of posts : 542
Mood : Maureen's Marathons Scared10

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyTue Nov 13, 2007 3:25 pm

Yeah, I heard that too! I wonder if she had body-guards disguised as runners to protect her from mobs or crazy fans. :think:
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptySat Nov 17, 2007 1:16 am

Amy wrote:
Congratulations Maureen!!!

One question...were you running with any famous people, that you know of? Just curious!

No one that I knew personally, Amy, but as with most big marathons nowadays there were quite a few celebrities running the race.

Thanks again, everyone, for your kind words.

Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

PostSubject: Another Marathon Completed!   Maureen's Marathons EmptyTue May 06, 2008 6:27 am

Just thought I'd let you all know I took part in and finished my third Marathon yesterday. It's the second Belfast City Marathon I've done and I did the New York one in November. It was a good day for the run, slightly overcast, though I still managed to get a bit of sun on the parts I missed with the sunscreen! I knocked 26 minutes off my time compared to last year, finishing in 4hours, 4 mins and 30 secs! My four running partners and I managed to raise over £1,000 (approx $2,000) for Womens Aid, a charity that deals with physically and mentally abused women, a cause which many of you know is very dear to my heart. My body is sore all over today but the accomplishment of achieving another medal for my collection makes it all worth while.

Any other runners out there?

Last edited by carolineingalls on Tue May 06, 2008 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : Maureen's Marathons Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:05 am

Congratulations, Maureen! What an accomplishment! Applause
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:14 am

Thank you, Rob.

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:39 am

That is wonderful Maureen!!! You should be proud, especially for the charity you raised the money for....... Thumbsup

I'm not a runner, I did track in school, but had to quit, inherited dad's bad knees No .....but, my older brother is a runner and he has done many, many marathons, including the Boston Marathon......... grinsmiley

CONGRATS AGAIN!!! Applause

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyTue May 06, 2008 8:16 am

That's terrific, Maureen!! Thumbsup

Maureen's Marathons PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : Maureen's Marathons Party010

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyTue May 06, 2008 8:45 am

Great job Maureen!

The last time I ran was out to the shed and I was winded before I left the porch.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons EmptyTue May 06, 2008 9:12 am

LOL Larry! :haha:

Maureen, you are quite the inspiration!! Good for you! Maureen's Marathons Champion

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maureen's Marathons   Maureen's Marathons Empty

Back to top Go down

Maureen's Marathons
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Little House on the Prairie :: Walnut Grove Community :: Doc Baker’s Health, Diet & Fitness Consultation-
Jump to: