Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Forty-FOUR years ago today....

Go down 
+8
carolineingalls
Susie
Farmer Girl
pamh36
bethandmanly
Carol
Amy
Savannah
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62620
Mood : Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Goodsi10

Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 pm

Welllll, technically I didn't fife them. Moviemistakes.com did. I merely passed the info along. Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 811339
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Those are really neat. I've watched that movie a ton of times and never noticed most of those. Thanks for sharing. Smile

Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Little
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 9:39 pm

OK....Raise your hand if you are digging out your Sound of Music DVD to watch and catch the mistakes....... Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 440956

Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Rhonda10Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 10:16 pm

Rob wrote:
Welllll, technically I didn't fife them. Moviemistakes.com did. I merely passed the info along. Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 811339

Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 129986 Oh, I knew that you had to have copied and pasted.......
Because you missed something, Fife. Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 68167 Actually several somethings.....

Fife's post wrote:
mouthes

Fife's post again wrote:
Frauline
(This one is repeated a few times. Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Kopfschuettel Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 135245 )

And,

Fife's post yet again wrote:
Eidelweiss

I'd say "Write yourself a ticket..." but since you technically didn't write it, I suppose I can't hold you responsible......Even though you posted it..... Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 129986 But I must say that I love it that the only triple-header of the year came in a post from our dear Fife. Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 135245

Rhonda wrote:
OK....Raise your hand if you are digging out your Sound of Music DVD to watch and catch the mistakes....... Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 440956

Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 135245 See....I'd start out with that intention, and get so caught up in the movie that I'd forget to watch for them!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Savannah wrote:
Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 129986 Oh, I knew that you had to have copied and pasted.......
Because you missed something, Fife. Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 68167 Actually several somethings.....

I gotta admit that I skimmed the piece, but didn't read it with a vigilant Fife eye. Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 68167
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 11:16 pm

Rob wrote:
Savannah wrote:

I gotta admit that I skimmed the piece, but didn't read it with a vigilant Fife eye. Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 68167

Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 702150 Your compassion toward the writers is commendable.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 11:23 pm

Oh, I wasn't being compassionate. I was just in a hurry. Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 129986
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 85958 Well there went that idea.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 11:31 pm

Next time don't rush to judgment so quickly. Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 129986
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 11:33 pm

Sorry. My mistake. It won't happen again. batEyes
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 12:13 am

Lily wrote:
Hey do you guys know that the real Maria appeared in the movie? It's during the scene when Maria was leaving the convent house to head over to the Von Trapp's house, she was singing "I'm in Confidence" song where she was right under the archway thingy, all the way in the back, you will see the real Maria with her daughter and granddaughter walking by. I read it somewhere that said during the filming, the Von Trapp family stopped by and the director Robert Wise offered that part to Maria. Smile

Yes, that's on the special features...that is such a neat little moment! But I didn't know she was with her daughter and granddaughter!!!

Farmer Girl wrote:
Those are really neat. I've watched that movie a ton of times and never noticed most of those. Thanks for sharing. Smile

I don't think I've noticed a single one of those, EXCEPT for the one where Christopher Plummer can't find the tear. That one is one of the more obvious ones. I'd say they did a pretty great job with this movie, since some of these are so over-the-top nitpicky!! That was super interesting though Rob---THANK YOU for sharing those!! Thumbsup

Rhonda wrote:

Wave But LOL, like Savannah I think I'll forget to watch for them too! That movie tends to carry me away. Smile

So, what are some of everyones' favorite scenes? If you had to pick ONE, what would it be?

My #1 favorite scene has got to be the Edelweiss scene. It is SO hard to pick just one favorite, but I just find that SO touching and Christopher Plummer is fantastic in it. The way he looks at Julie....*SIGH* Love

A close second would be the dance between the Captain and Maria on the terrace....ah, THE most romantic thing I have ever seen! happydance

I also love "So Long Farewell" that the children sing to the guests. dancegirl

I DO fast forward a scene, LOL....I really can't stand the scene where Leisel is dancing with Rolph in the gazebo. I don't mind parts of it, but I HAVE to fast forward through the "WHEEEEEEEEEE"!! HeeHee

Last edited by Amy on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 8:01 am

One scene that always baffled me a little is when Rolph (Rolfe? Rolf? Rolphe?) discovers the Von Trapps hiding in the abbey. The Captain takes his gun away and says, "You'll never be one of them [the Nazis]." He means that in a good way, I'm sure, but there's a bit of a sneer in his voice, as if he's mocking him for being weak and giving in. So naturally Rolph is gonna react to that and yell, "They're here!" Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 29545
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 8:59 am

Rob wrote:
One scene that always baffled me a little is when Rolph (Rolfe? Rolf? Rolphe?) discovers the Von Trapps hiding in the abbey. The Captain takes his gun away and says, "You'll never be one of them [the Nazis]." He means that in a good way, I'm sure, but there's a bit of a sneer in his voice, as if he's mocking him for being weak and giving in. So naturally Rolph is gonna react to that and yell, "They're here!" Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 29545

When that scene is coming up, it always makes my stomach get tense......I never could figure out why the Captain did that! Up to that point, it looked like Rolph was hesitant to bring them to the Nazis' attention - but that sneer (such a perfect word for it!) in the Captain's voice was the turning point....If he'd have said that same sentence, "You'll never be one of them", in a different tone of voice, I tend to think that Rolph may have been more likely to have responded in a different way.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 10:30 am

Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that odd.

I'd have had the Captain say, gently, "You were one of us before you were one of them." Then another Nazi would yell offscreen, "They're here!" Rolph would say to the Captain, "Take me with you," and escape along with them.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 11:00 am

That would be perfect Rob! It would make MUCH more sense. I agree with both of you, that scene has always been strange to me...Rolph (Rolf? Rolphe? LOL)...we know that he had been brainwashed basically, and it would make sense that he would turn on the Von Trappe family. But I would have liked for one of the Nazis to just have found them, so Rolph didn't have to be the bad guy. It made no sense that the captain egged him on like that. If anything, he would have been proud of Rolph for being a big enough man to let them go. Just no sense at all. No

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Rob wrote:
I'd have had the Captain say, gently, "You were one of us before you were one of them." Then another Nazi would yell offscreen, "They're here!" Rolph would say to the Captain, "Take me with you," and escape along with them.

I like that so much better! Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 39447

Amy wrote:
But I would have liked for one of the Nazis to just have found them, so Rolph didn't have to be the bad guy. It made no sense that the captain egged him on like that. If anything, he would have been proud of Rolph for being a big enough man to let them go. Just no sense at all. Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Kopfschuettel

Exactly!
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Amy wrote:
I DO fast forward a scene, LOL....I really can't stand the scene where Leisel is dancing with Rolph in the gazebo. I don't mind parts of it, but I HAVE to fast forward through the "WHEEEEEEEEEE"!! HeeHee

Well, I fast forward through the part where the Mother is singing Climb Every Mountain. That just sends shivers down my spine! lol

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 5:23 pm

Farmer Girl wrote:
Amy wrote:

Well, I fast forward through the part where the Mother is singing Climb Every Mountain. That just sends shivers down my spine! lol

LOL!! I understand Farmer Girl! HeeHee I do love that actual song though (when it's not sung in operatic Wink ), especially at the end when it's played as they climb the mountains.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 8:13 pm

Did you ever notice that in Climb Every Mountain, the melody of the line "for as long as you live" is suspiciously like the melody of "like a lark who is learning to pray" in the title song? Richard Rodgers kind of plagiarized himself. Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 68167
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 9:19 pm

You're right, Rob! I never noticed that before but now that you mention it I know what your talking about.

Yeah, Amy, I don't mind the song at the end, because it fits the scene good. HeeHee

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 11:00 pm

I noticed that a few years ago. I'd just seen the movie, and was kind of singing Climb Every Mountain to myself. It was like: "Every day of your life, for as long as you liiiiiive... I go to the hills, when my heart is lonely." Then I thought: Wait, those are two different songs! Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 135245 They are kind of interchangeable, though.
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 11:34 pm

I thought that the last time I watched the DVD I heard conflicting reports of some of the "behind the scenes" antics. I did know that the real Maria appeared briefly when Julie Andrews was leaving the Abbey and headed to the Von Trapps. I don't think I had heard that her daughter & granddaughter appeared with her. That is so cool!

One thing I did hear was she appeared in the scene because she came along to visit the set lots and lots of times and kinda got herself cast in the movie. I think the thing was she had sold the rights to the story and so she felt she should appear in it. It almost sounded like a well intended but annoying neighbor kind of mode. I'd have to watch the commentary again.

Another thing was reports about how they got Kurt to smile so big in the scene in Maria's bedroom. Julie Andrews said she made him do it but I thought a crewman said that he had. So I'm not sure what the deal was.

I do know overall that the children adored Julie Andrews and I don't blame them. Funny how Julie wasn't much older than Charmaine.

Oh, another movie to report: we finally sat down & saw, "To Kill A Mockingbird." I had the exclamation from my son, "It's in black & white!!!" He really didn't want to watch it but by the end, he thought it was a pretty good movie!

I did get choked up when Atticus lost the case and before he left the courtroom, all of the black people stood as a sign of respect. cryB

Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 HummerForty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 MistiKeeperForty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Bookclub5Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 11:14 am

Rob, I haven't seen that movie...that is pretty funny though!!

Interesting Misti...I didn't know that Charmaine is only 7 years younger than Julie Andrews!! WOW!

Well, Savannah, you weren't completely off with your 'monumental' anniversary date. It IS the 50th anniversary of the original music, performed by the broadway cast, starring Mary Martin!

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0059742/news#ni1199001

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 11:55 am

Amy wrote:

Oh, I was talking about The Sound of Music, Amy, and the similarity of the title song and Climb Every Mountain.
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 3:30 am

Rob wrote:
Amy wrote:

Oh, I was talking about The Sound of Music, Amy, and the similarity of the title song and Climb Every Mountain.

We'd better watch it or we will compare "Climb Every Mountain" to "Go Tell It On the Mountain!" Whistle

Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 HummerForty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 MistiKeeperForty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Bookclub5Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forty-FOUR years ago today....   Forty-FOUR years ago today.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Forty-FOUR years ago today....
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2