Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Balanced Diet

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : Balanced Diet Purple2

Balanced Diet Empty
PostSubject: Balanced Diet   Balanced Diet EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 1:08 pm

This is some info that came to me in an email from the South Beach Diet site. Balanced Diet 129986

You’ve heard the term before and know how important it is. But what exactly makes a diet balanced? For starters, a balanced diet means eating a wide variety of nutritious foods such as lean protein, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans and legumes, low-fat dairy, and healthy, unsaturated fats. If you’re following the South Beach Diet, you’re on the right track! Eating a healthy balanced diet not only helps improve your overall health, but it can also help you lose weight faster. Here’s a breakdown of foods and nutrients you should enjoy for a balanced diet.

1. Lean Protein: Lean protein is necessary for building strong muscles and regulating your metabolism. It also helps slow the speed of digestion, helping you to feel fuller longer. You can find lean protein from a variety of sources, including beans and legumes, eggs, low-fat dairy products, poultry, and lean cuts of beef such as sirloin.

2. Low-Fat Dairy: Low-fat dairy products contain calcium, vitamins A, D, B12, and riboflavin. The South Beach Diet recommends choosing reduced-fat and fat-free dairy, such as milk and yogurt, and avoiding the full-fat varieties.

3. Fats: Fats gets a bad rap when it comes to dieting, but not all fats are bad for you. “Good” fats, also known as unsaturated fats, have been shown to help prevent heart disease and lower cholesterol levels. Excellent sources of “good” fats are nuts, extra-virgin olive oil, canola oil, avocado, and omega-3-rich fish and seafood.

4. Whole Grains: Whole grains contain important nutrients like fiber, which helps slow down digestion, stabilize blood-sugar levels, and ward off hunger and cravings. Studies show that eating whole grains instead of refined grains can help to lower total cholesterol, LDL (“bad”) cholesterol, and dangerously high triglyceride and insulin levels. Whole grains can be reintroduced starting on Phase 2. Be sure to check that the label says "100% whole wheat" or "whole grain" and choose products that contain three grams of sugar or less per serving and have no trans fats.

5. Vegetables: Packed with a wealth of nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, vegetables have been shown to help prevent cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. Enjoy vegetables of all colors, such as carrots, eggplant, spinach, and tomatoes.

6. Fruits: Fruits are just as healthy as they are delicious. Like vegetables, fruits are chock-full of health-boosting nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber and can be enjoyed starting on Phase 2. Blueberries, plums, pomegranate seeds, and apples are some examples of antioxidant-rich fruits to include in your diet.

7. Fiber: There are two types of fiber: soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber helps slow the rate of digestion and may also help lower cholesterol. Insoluble fiber improves bowel function and may help protect against intestinal disease. Moreover, fiber can help you feel fuller and more satisfied for a longer period of time. Good sources of fiber include whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and beans and legumes.

Balanced Diet Rhonda10Balanced Diet Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Balanced Diet Happy010

Balanced Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balanced Diet   Balanced Diet EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks for posting Rhonda! Thumbsup

Balanced Diet Horses10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Balanced Diet Love-s10

Balanced Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balanced Diet   Balanced Diet EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Great info! Thumbsup

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Balanced Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balanced Diet   Balanced Diet EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Cooking Veggies the Quick and Healthy Way Balanced Diet 69517

If you’re pressed for time but still want to prepare healthy, South Beach Diet-friendly meals, we have an easy technique. Instead of roasting and sautéing vegetables, try steaming them instead. This cooking method is delightfully simple, incredibly speedy, and especially healthy because more nutrients are retained (compared with other cooking methods). Plus, steaming brings out the natural flavor of your veggies. If you've never steamed vegetables before, here are two ways to master this technique.

On the Stovetop:

1. Add one or two inches of water to a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
  2. Prepare your vegetables for cooking: After washing thoroughly, cut them into equal-sized pieces to ensure even cooking.
  3. Place your steaming basket (a specially designed tool that fits inside a pot and holds food just above the surface of the water) in the pot of water. Or use a bamboo steamer, which sits above steaming water
  4. Add vegetables and cover.
  5. Cook until vegetables reach the desired texture. In general, most vegetables require only one or two minutes of steaming, since steam is even hotter than boiling water. If you like your veggies tender, cook a little longer; if you prefer crunchy veggies, cook for a shorter period. Be careful not to overcook, or you'll end up with mushy vegetables.
  6. Carefully remove the lid (remember, the steam can burn your hands!) and take the vegetables out of the basket. Serve them immediately with a South Beach Diet–friendly sauce or seasoning, including lemon juice and any spice (that doesn't contain added sugar) or with fresh chopped herbs, such as parsley or basil.

In the Microwave:

1. Prepare your vegetables for cooking: After washing thoroughly, cut vegetables into equal-sized pieces to ensure even cooking.
  2. If you have the plastic bags made especially for microwave steaming, follow the directions on the box; otherwise place vegetables in a large, microwave-safe bowl (a glass bowl, for example) and follow the rest of the steps below.
  3. Add water to cover your vegetables — the water should be shallow in the bowl.
  4. Cover the bowl with microwave-safe plastic wrap and fold back in one spot to allow steam to vent.
  5. Microwave on high for four to eight minutes (depending on the thickness of the vegetables) or until your veggies reach the desired texture. Serve with a South Beach Diet–recommended sauce or seasoning.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Balanced Diet Bokmal10

Balanced Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balanced Diet   Balanced Diet EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:30 pm

I thought a balanced diet was when I tried carrying a plate of chocolate cake in one hand and a box of Russell Stovers in the other. greenS

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Balanced Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balanced Diet   Balanced Diet EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 11:02 pm

Cheryl! laugh3

My favorite way to cook my fresh veggies? Steaming them in my Tupperware steamer---best invention ever! I always undercook them just a bit, then throw them into a frypan with hot olive oil and toss for a minute or two. Thumbsup

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Balanced Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balanced Diet   Balanced Diet EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 11:32 pm

Amy wrote:
My favorite way to cook my fresh veggies? Steaming them in my Tupperware steamer---best invention ever! I always undercook them just a bit, then throw them into a frypan with hot olive oil and toss for a minute or two. Thumbsup

Oooooo YUMMY!!! Now take those veggies and put Italian dressing on them and let stand for 5 minutes.......... Balanced Diet 689902

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Balanced Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balanced Diet   Balanced Diet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Mmm, I'll bet that's delicious! My sister said to try a chicken bullion and sautee with olive oil too----she swears by that with broccoli. I might try that tonight...

Also, another tip I learned and I do it when I have extra time (sometimes I'm too rushed), but after you steam fresh green beans (which by the way are the only green beans I actually like!), 'shock' them in ice water for like 30 seconds, before you put them in the olive oil. This has kept them from getting 'wilty' every time I've done it!

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Balanced Diet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balanced Diet   Balanced Diet Empty

Back to top Go down

Balanced Diet
Page 1 of 1