Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Melissa Sue on Today Show

Go down 
+8
Gin
LIWnut
HarrisonCrosby4387
Carol
Savannah
Teresa
bethandmanly
Rob
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Indiff10

Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melissa Sue on Today Show   Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 6:52 pm

Teresa wrote:
I will be seeing MA in Green Bay in July and I am going to try to fit that question in when I see her. I may only have a minute with her. She will be appearing with Dean Butler so at least this once she'll be with an old castmate.

Are they appearing at the LIW Days at Heritage Hill? If that is the case, I wish they would appear at one of the other ones in the state, too. I am not going to be anywhere near Wisconsin during that time. What a disappointment. I would really like to meet Dean Butler. Oh, well. cryB

I haven't decided whether or not I will give Anderson's book a try yet. I was going to but then I have read in more than one review now that it is basically just a book of episode recaps. I don't know if I care to read all of that. Maybe I will give it a try after I have read Alison Arngrim's. I have more interest in what she has to say, anyway.

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Melissa Sue on Today Show   Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 10:20 pm

Ok, I read Melissa Anderson's book Sunday. Yes, all in one day. I had a 8 hour road trip so I made good use of my time.

I had read the reviews about her book, so I was warned about the episode scripts. I had to let myself see each scene as I read it. That made it a bit more fun.
Two things impressed me. One: How clean the book was compared to Melissa Gilbert's. Two: I really did understand her point of view about her choosing to be a stay at home Mom. Within the business its tough for someone to have a family and work as an actor does. Michael Landon's family suffered because of his fame, and she saw that at a young age. She didn't want her kids to go through that as well.
Yes, I wish she had told personal things about her family and herself. We all wish that when we admire an actress we've watched for years. But she has worked just as hard to have her privacy as she did her career. She's earned both.
I enjoyed this book, and would recommend it to anyone that has followed her career.
This goes to show you that although there were alot of people on the same show, they each did "see" things differently.

Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Melissa Sue on Today Show   Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 1:44 am

Dear Gin. I don't know exactly why, but I just thought that Melissa Sue Anderson book should be nicer than those of Melissa Gildert and Alison Arngrim. I love all three actress, but I think that Melissa Sue knew how to preserve her family from the troubles of show bussiness. I admire her for that.

I wish I could read her book , but what you told about it, help me a lot to figure out its contents. Many thanks, dear Gin!

Vanesa.

P.D: I was not happy when I've read Alison criticizing so hardly Melissa Sue. I think if she has something personal against her, she must have not tell it to her readers. I write this somewhat sadened, since I admire Alison Arngrim a great deal... No

Vanesa.

Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: Melissa Sue on Today Show   Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 10:50 am

Vanessa, I do hope you get a chance to read Melissa's book. Its certainly one that I will keep in my collection.

In my opinion, anyone that talks down about someone else and does not have good reason, is either just mean or jealous. I wish Alison had thought of that, before cutting into Melissa that way. Although, in all fairness I have yet to read Alison's book. Will do that soon.

Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Melissa Sue on Today Show   Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:15 pm

I sometimes wonder if it's all about perception, you know? Alison and both Melissas were kids and adolescents when their relationships were being formed. Melissa Sue seemed more quiet and introverted than Melissa G. and Alison. When we're kids, it's very easy to mistake shyness for snobbery. (Sometimes it's easy to do as adults, as well.) Melissa G. and Alison were both so outgoing - and so close with one another - maybe their perception of Melissa Sue was based on how they thought she should be acting toward them in view of their own personalities, rather than being a truly accurate assessment of Melissa Sue. Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 988160
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Melissa Sue on Today Show   Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:29 am

I could buy that, if the catty behavior on MG's part didn't still continue. Alison is not kind to Melissa Sue in her book, but she was warned away from her by MG her first day on the set--if Alison's book is to be believed.

MG and Alison had some not so nice tweets about MSA when her book came out. It just seems they are continuing to keep this fued alive; though there are times when it seems like Alison is reaching out to her online and even in her book, so I just don't get it.

I'm almost done with MG's book, which I can't say I've really enjoyed. If I had a buck for every F-bomb in it, I would be rich. That's the reason I put it aside when it first came in. Since I paid for it, I am forcing my way through it, but it's just not what I expected. Not that cuss words bother me, but they seem to be used for effect in her book. The rest is nicely written, a more elegant style that I would expect from her. Then all of a sudden a nasty word is dropped down into it, so they really stand out.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Melissa Sue on Today Show   Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:06 am

Yes. You may have bad perceptions about persons when you're a kid, but when you grows up, you are able to put aside your childhood and teenager prejudices and judge things in a better, adult way. Melissa Gilbert and Alison Arngrim, both, wrote books for a huge public to read and any person who writes about other persons must be careful about what they write. If you are carried out by your childhood early impressions you could be WRONG and dirt other people's reputation. You must never do that.

Being yourself outspoking and extroverted doesn't mean you must speak badly about shy, introverted persons.

Cuss words are not so bad for me - I use them, not too often but when I MUST absolutely do it Ooops - but bad intentions, jealous mood toward a person for she is simply shy or not so outspoken than you....No, I can't stand it. However, I think that cuss words must be used in some cases, not all time and in order to show yourself as a modern, progressive person. This is not authentic. For all you've said here, I had the impression that MG used her cuss words just to sell the book and show herself as a cool, modern person. I can't help to say that I don't like it... No

Vanesa.

Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Melissa Sue on Today Show   Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 8:03 am

Oh, I agree that the behavior shouldn't have to continue. What I meant was that that may have been what had originally formed their prejudice against her when they were children. They're adults now and should be able to see beyond such things....but I was just wondering if their initial impression of her was formed through a perception of theirs, and that they allow that to continue to color their view of her. Especially because their friendship continued through the years - so they basically were fueling one another in their dislike for her over the years. I mean, it happens....We form an unshakable opinion of a person and it impacts our view of everything that person does.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: Melissa Sue on Today Show   Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 11:16 am

Savannah wrote:
Oh, I agree that the behavior shouldn't have to continue. What I meant was that that may have been what had originally formed their prejudice against her when they were children. They're adults now and should be able to see beyond such things....but I was just wondering if their initial impression of her was formed through a perception of theirs, and that they allow that to continue to color their view of her. Especially because their friendship continued through the years - so they basically were fueling one another in their dislike for her over the years. I mean, it happens....We form an unshakable opinion of a person and it impacts our view of everything that person does.

That is so very true Savannah....I hadn't thought about it like that. I kind of feel sorry for MSA, thinking about MG and AA 'tag teaming' on her like that. I guess I can relate, because I was definitely very shy as a child, well into middle school and even high school, and because of it was misunderstood for being 'stuck up'. I haven't read MSA's book, but I have never liked it that she was (IMO) prudish professionally, regarding the whole "John Jr." and kissing thing. But, that is about upbringing, and she had to make some very tough and grown up choices professionally, for someone who was NOT a grown up. I can't imagine that was 'easy'. I plan to read all three of these books, but I am still getting through MG's. Cheryl, I could NOT agree with you more---you said it perfectly. The F-bombs stick out like a sore thumb, against the 'elegance' of MG's other words. I really LOVE the way the book flows and how it's written, so it's just a shame that she had to go to this level of 'crass-ness' (is that a word? scratchead) for the sake of 'affect'. And I'm not exactly 'innocent' when it comes to language either, LOL, but the F-word is a biggie that certainly shouldn't be dropped 'lightly'! I think this was just one more way for MG to 'show' to everyone that she is not little Laura Ingalls anymore. Whistle

Gin, thanks for your 'review' of MSA's book! I agree with you about her career-moves. I respect her for putting her family above all else too. Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melissa Sue on Today Show   Melissa - Melissa Sue on Today Show - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Melissa Sue on Today Show
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2