Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dean Butler article I wrote

Go down 
+3
Carol
ChristinaAL
bethandmanly
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Dean Butler article I wrote Empty
PostSubject: Dean Butler article I wrote   Dean Butler article I wrote EmptyFri Mar 16, 2007 10:49 am

Finally I get around to posting that story I wrote about Dean Butler coming to Walnut Grove back in 2002. Enjoy.
~Cindy

WALNUT GROVE — For his first-ever acting role, “Little House on the Prairie” actor Dean Butler had only three lines.
But he forgot two of them.
Yet he went on to star as “Almanzo Wilder” in one of the more popular television shows in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Butler will be part of the 25th anniversary of “Fragments of a Dream” pageant on the weekend of July 13-14 in Walnut Grove. On Saturday, he will be making a presentation at 10 a.m at the Walnut Grove Community Center on how “Little House” impacted society, followed by a question-and-answer session. From 2-4 p.m., he will be doing autographs at the Wilder Museum.
Marlys Vanderwerf, director of the Walnut Grove EDA, said the city ordered 500 photographs for the autograph session.
Butler will be going to the pageant Saturday night and be in the parade Sunday at 1:30 p.m.
Butler was born in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada, and he grew up in the San Francisco Bay area. His first taste of acting was in an eighth grade play where he “had three lines, but forgot two.”
“It was an aspicious beginning, but it sure go my attention,” Butler said in a telephone interview Monday.
In his junior year of high school, Butler was in the chorus of “Once Upon A Mattress.” But it was watching a production of “My Fair Lady” that made him seriously consider acting.
Butler got to play Higgins in a college production of the timeless Lerner and Loewe musical. He said if he was able to have to portray Henry in any capacity, he’d do it in a second.
“It’s one of the great parts in musical theater,” Butler said.
It was after Butler was in the made-for-televison movie “Forever” in 1978 that he learned about the upcoming role of Laura Ingalls’ husband, Almanzo Wilder. Butler credited his agent at the time.
In April 1979, Butler had four auditions for “Little House on the Prairie.” He was finishing up his final exams at the University of the Pacific in California when he was offered the role of Almanzo.
“By the fourth callback, in your head, you’re already doing the job,” Butler said.
Michael Landon (Charles Ingalls on “Little House”) was one of the show’s producers. Landon had many young actors to choose from, Butler said, and was inclined to hire people with not much experience. Butler said the producers wanted to find someone “non-threatening” to audition; someone to be matched with a then 15-year-old Melissa Gilbert — “America’s Sweetheart.”
“She was adored, and I think they needed to pair her with someone they were comfortable with,” Butler said.
The young actor had to learn how to handle a team of horses for his role. Butler had ridden horses for most of his life, but managing a wagon was different.
He instinctively grabbed at the hat and dropped the line. One horse went running toward an oak tree, but the wranglers were able to round up the horses in time.
“It felt like chaos for a minute,” Butler said. “We got the shot and everyone survived. It was a good ice-breaker.”
Michael Landon was a “very funny man,” who told great stories, Butler said.
“He could charm you,” Butler said.
But under the surface, Landon was a very focused, meticulously detail-oriented hard-nosed leader; generous, yet tough, Butler said. But having a strong leader was necessary, he added, especially when getting 80-100 people on the same page.
Butler said Landon tended to work with the same team of cameramen, producers etc. throughout — “Bonanza,” “Little House.”
“He assembled a group of people who were totally committed to the vision of what he wanted to do,” Butler said.
Besides “Little House,” Butler made guest appearances on “Love Boat,” “Fantasy Island” and “Who’s the Boss.” He also did stage work, such as “Into The Woods.”
Butler starred as Moondoggie on “The New Gidget” series for three seasons, starting in 1986. His most current acting is a recurring role on the television show “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” as Buffy’s “well-meaning, but often absent” father, Hank Summers. Butler said “Buffy” is “smartly written and wonderfully shot,” and Joss Whedon, the show’s creator “has an amazing vision for this word; wry, quirky sense of humor.”
“It’s fun to stay in touch with acting with a show like that,” Butler said.
Butler did a lot of traveling for NBC — fairs — and said he was always amazed at the warmth and affection of the people. In 1997, he went to Rocky Ridge Days in Mansfield, Mo.
“It was a nice re-acquaintance,” Butler said about Mansfield.
Butler now remains “behind the scenes” — writing, producing, camera work. He has a niche business doing image work, producing legacy biographies for private corporate people “who want to preserve their stories for times to come.” Butler said the work is very involving, and he can put in 12-18 hour days, six to seven days a week.
Butler said said that “Little House” presented a kind of ideal that may in some cases, in some parts of America is possible, but in other factions may not be popular.
“I think most people who watch ‘Little House’ can agree this would be a wonderful way to live,” Butler said.
The “Little House” books are written dreams and musings of a young girl, making an idyllic life for herself, Butler said.
“It gives people opportunities to look for the best in themselves,” Bulter said.
During the years, several actors from the “Little House” television program have visited Walnut Grove — Melissa Sue Anderson, Karen Grassle, Alison Arngrim, Katherine MacGregor and Kevin Hagen.
Shirley Knakmuhs, director of the Wilder Museum, said she met Butler in Mansfield in 1997.
“He’s a nice, ordinary guy,” Knakmuhs said.
Vanderwerf said she has only been able to meet Hagen.
“He was just a wonderful guy,” Vanderwerf said.
Vanderwerf said that getting “Little House” stars to appear for pageant weekends isn’t a difficult task.
“The ones I’ve contacted, if they’re available, it’s usually not a problem,” Vanderwerf said.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Dean Butler article I wrote Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Dean Butler article I wrote   Dean Butler article I wrote EmptyFri Mar 16, 2007 1:48 pm

Great article. I would love to share it with my Divas. Would you give me your permision to post it at the Diva site?

Cheryl

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: Dean Butler article I wrote   Dean Butler article I wrote EmptyFri Mar 16, 2007 1:58 pm

Very good article, I agree. Also, I thought the way Dean summed up the LIW books -

Quote :
The “Little House” books are written dreams and musings of a young girl, making an idyllic life for herself, Butler said.
“It gives people opportunities to look for the best in themselves,” Bulter said.

- was a very unique was of explaining it. I had never thought of it that way before, but I agree with that as well. Thumbsup

Dean Butler article I wrote ChristinaKeeper2 Dean Butler article I wrote 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Dean Butler article I wrote Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Dean Butler article I wrote   Dean Butler article I wrote EmptyFri Mar 16, 2007 2:28 pm

Excellent article Cindy. Thanks for posting it! :CoolSign:

Dean Butler article I wrote Horses10
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112
Mood : Dean Butler article I wrote Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Dean Butler article I wrote   Dean Butler article I wrote EmptyFri Mar 16, 2007 3:55 pm

Thanks for posting that, Cindy! Very interesting article.

Dean Butler article I wrote HummerDean Butler article I wrote MistiKeeperDean Butler article I wrote Bookclub5Dean Butler article I wrote Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dean Butler article I wrote   Dean Butler article I wrote EmptyFri Mar 16, 2007 6:05 pm

Cheryl, post away. I think five years has been long enough!! It's past its statute of limitations!
I remember reading this after it was published and realized I forgot to put in a line. Where Dean is talking about his first scene on LH, he mentions his hat flew off when he was trying to control the wagon. I forgot to put a first mention of the hat.
But anyhoo, I watched the Dean interview on season 6's DVD and he was telling that same story to the interviewer. I'm like, hey, I've heard that story before!
I'll have to look at the Divas' web site!
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Dean Butler article I wrote LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Dean Butler article I wrote Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Dean Butler article I wrote   Dean Butler article I wrote EmptyFri Mar 16, 2007 6:36 pm

Great article Cindy, thanks for sharing it with us.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Dean Butler article I wrote Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Dean Butler article I wrote   Dean Butler article I wrote EmptyFri Mar 16, 2007 6:41 pm

Thanks Cindy. I uploaded it to the Diva site a few minutes ago. I also sent you a PM.

Cheryl

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : Dean Butler article I wrote Xmassm4

PostSubject: Re: Dean Butler article I wrote   Dean Butler article I wrote EmptySat Mar 17, 2007 6:24 am

That was a great article, Cindy! Applause Thank you for sharing it with us!
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Melissa

Number of posts : 561

PostSubject: Re: Dean Butler article I wrote   Dean Butler article I wrote EmptySat Mar 17, 2007 2:11 pm

Nice article Cindy!

Dean Butler article I wrote MelissaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dean Butler article I wrote   Dean Butler article I wrote Empty

Back to top Go down

Dean Butler article I wrote
Page 1 of 1