Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

This Day in History

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
This Day in History Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : This Day in History Happy010

This Day in History Empty
PostSubject: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 7:46 pm

On November 19, 1863, famed orator Edward Everett delivered a speech dedicating a soldiers national cemetery. He spoke for over two hours. When he was finished, President Abraham Lincoln gave a speech. It lasted two minutes, and became one of the defining moments of American history.

This Day in History Gettysburg_Address

The Gettysburg Address

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Gettysburg
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : This Day in History Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 8:11 pm

This Day in History 39447 Thank you for posting that! One of history's most eloquent speeches.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Smile
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : This Day in History Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 7:58 pm

How much of this do people know by heart? I can honestly say that I have heard/read it so many times now that I can do it! grinsmiley I don't know if it is necessarily something that will help me out later in life, but it is crazy little fact about me! Smile

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 10:23 pm

I can come close, but I'm not sure I could recite it all the way through.

I thought it was interesting when the address was read in Ken Burns' The Civil War. In the last line, I'd always assumed that the stresses were on "of the people, by the people, for the people." But they presented it as "of the people, by the people, for the people."
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 10:30 pm

I noticed that, too, Rob. I'd never heard it recited (or read) that way before.

And I'm with Rob - I know I could get most of the way through it, but I'm not positive that I have it completely memorized anymore.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 10:35 pm

I've memorized other historical documents much better.

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 10:36 pm

This Day in History 222270 Robbie! I couldn't help but think of that, too!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 10:39 pm

This Day in History 702150 This kid's not half-bad either...

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 10:43 pm

This Day in History 6472 I love it! Kids have such a great capacity for memorization! (And what an adorable voice!) Thanks for posting that, Rob.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 11:00 pm

Savannah wrote:
(And what an adorable voice!)

Isn't it, though? Those words have never sounded better.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 11:44 pm

This Day in History 440956 *Every* time you quote me, I expect to be fifed. I think you do that on purpose. This Day in History 135245
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 am

Savannah wrote:
This Day in History 440956 *Every* time you quote me, I expect to be fifed. I think you do that on purpose. This Day in History 135245

Not so. This Day in History 129986
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 8:35 am

Rob wrote:
Not so. This Day in History 129986

Your eyes make that sound especially convincing. batEyes This Day in History 440956
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Rob wrote:
I've memorized other historical documents much better.

Laughing laugh3 ROTFL

This Day in History Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This Day in History   This Day in History Empty

Back to top Go down

This Day in History
Page 1 of 1