Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MY ELLEN

Go down 
+8
littlehouselover
Shell
alexczarn
Vanesa
bethandmanly
Gin
Krissy
Joe
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : MY ELLEN Innoce10

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 9:17 pm

"When Laura and Mary go skinny-dipping with their friend, Ellen Taylor, some boys come by to get a glimpse. The girls hide underwater until they go away. Laura and Mary come back up, but Ellen becomes trapped under the surface and drowns. Ellen's grief-stricken mother blames Laura for the tragedy, then rebuffs efforts by several people to cheer her up. Later, when Laura pays a visit to Mrs. Taylor she traps Laura in the basement, somehow concluding that she is Ellen. Suspicion immediately falls on Busby, a mentally challenged man whom Charles had warned his daughters to stay away from when Laura's thing are found outside Busby's House. While the hunt is on for Busby, Laura must rely on her wits to escape Mrs. Taylor's clutches and help her come to terms with Ellen's death, which she finally does. The men realize they were wrong about Busby. Laura later gives Busby a Picture book." (Wikipedia)

What a way to start an episode. Has there ever been another series that used skinny dipping as a plot device?
What does this say of the morals of the Ingall's girls? Swimming naked?? You would NEVER see a refined family, say the Olesons, behave in such a manner. soapbox

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

MY ELLEN Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : MY ELLEN Headac10

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:32 pm

I guess they did't have swaiming suits....

I don't like the way the girls mother treated poor laura.Wasn't anybody's fault.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : MY ELLEN Love-s10

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 11:37 pm

This episode has always been one of my favorites. I remember watching it as it aired and my Mom almost flipping out that Ellen drowned. (My mom can't swim and she was worried about my brother and I until we learned how...)
I do agree it did seem odd for the Ingalls girls to be skinny dipping. The whole twist of Ellen's Mom thinking Laura was Ellen was creepy, but I'm sure it has happend when someone is so distraught. Well written if you ask me.

MY ELLEN Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : MY ELLEN Bokmal10

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 12:08 am

While the only time I can think of skinny dipping being used as a plot point is in the opening of the first Jaws movie, historically, it's probably not that far fetched. Charles was known to bathe in the creek. Swimming in their birthday suits probably wasn't unusual back then. I find it odd considering how reserved Mary can be, and that by this time she had developed, that she would want to swim naked with the younger girls, but again, I guess we're supposed to assume she and her sisters swam naked all the time, unless they were swimming with a group of kids and wore their petticoats.

This episode still creeps me out. I don't watch it very often.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 12:14 am

Gin wrote:
This episode has always been one of my favorites. I remember watching it as it aired and my Mom almost flipping out that Ellen drowned. (My mom can't swim and she was worried about my brother and I until we learned how...)
I do agree it did seem odd for the Ingalls girls to be skinny dipping. The whole twist of Ellen's Mom thinking Laura was Ellen was creepy, but I'm sure it has happend when someone is so distraught. Well written if you ask me.

I seriously doubt that Laura or Mary could have even been skinny dipping. Laura wrote about Mary and herself swimming, along with Pa, but I think they have old dresses on (since it was not common for people that were not from high classes would have swimming suits back then). No decent girl would swim naked, even if they were alone.

I don't like this epie a bit. The whole Busby thing is disturbibng. I know the guy was good, but when you began watching the episode one didn't know it, and it's possible to imagine he could have raped and killed a girl. This is was, apparently , Charles thought when Laura didn't come home this night.

As for Ellen 's mother...I know there are real cases like hers, but it was creepy and not very agreeable to watch the whole thing in LHOTP. When I watch "Sylvia", "Be my friend!" and "May we make them Proud?" I have similar feelings. They gave me chills.
affraid
Vanesa.

MY ELLEN Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999
Mood : MY ELLEN Happy010

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 12:26 am

Part of the reason Ellen drowned was because the girls dunked underwater quickly when they discovered a group of boys trying to peek at them without theit clothes on. In Laura's Ingalls Wilder's fourth book, On the Banks of Plum Creek, which featured Laura as a girl about the same age as Laura in this episode, Laura Ingalls Wilder talked about how she and her sister Mary wore old clothes to swim. Back in the day, skinny-dipping was as inappropriate for girls that age as it is today. What's more, in episodes like Season 2's A Matter of Faith and Season 9's Times are Changing, the boys wore their pants (and sometimes even their suspenders) and just removed their shirts while swimming, and the girls often swam in their bloomers (or the wealthy girls, like Nellie and Nancy Oleson, had fancy old-fashioned bathing suits). That being said, it's unusual that Mary, Laura, Ellen, and Carrie didn't have anything on in this particular episode's swimming scenes.

From TV.com...

MY ELLEN Alexke11

Last edited by alexczarn on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 9:22 am

Vanesa wrote:
I seriously doubt that Laura or Mary could have even been skinny dipping. No decent girl would swim naked, even if they were alone.

They were. I thought it was odd when I read it too, so I pulled out my DVDs last night and they had bare shoulders. This really threw me, because I hadn't watched this episode in forever. Now, what I don't understand is why in all the other instances when swimming with classmates they were in their petticoats, but in this episode they are bare. I mean, the girls still could have been freaked out by some strange boys trying to look at them in their wet underclothes, though less likely since they swam that way with other classmates around--including boys.

It's just a totally odd way to approach Ellen's drowning. They could have been playing a game and gotten distracted by Carrie and not noticed Ellen go down. There were other ways to have it happen. Why they were skinny dipping is beyond me.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : MY ELLEN Headac10

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 10:36 pm

1.The mother thinking laura was ellen i agree was creepy. Laura shouldn't have gone to her house to see her.She should have waited a bit. I think the mother was in so much shock and grive about it she just started blaming ppl for the deaths.It was really no ones fault. Blue

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 5:04 am

Watched this again last night. Couldn't help but think how smart Laura was to have Mrs. Taylor makes a wish also before blowing out the candles. BUT, what seemed odd to me is that Laura fell. That girl had run all over those hills, and with someone after me I would have sprouted wings!

MY ELLEN Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999
Mood : MY ELLEN Happy010

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 6:28 am

Gin wrote:
Watched this again last night. Couldn't help but think how smart Laura was to have Mrs. Taylor makes a wish also before blowing out the candles. BUT, what seemed odd to me is that Laura fell. That girl had run all over those hills, and with someone after me I would have sprouted wings!

Accidents will bite when you least expect :P

MY ELLEN Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : MY ELLEN Purple2

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Gin wrote:
It was smart of Laura to get Mrs.Taylor to make a wish so she could escape. I felt sorry for Busby getting blamed for Laura's disappearance.
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 3:58 pm

Funny Busby wasn't around til the episode. Did you take a look at his hands? They were huge!

MY ELLEN Project2

Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 7:43 pm

This show disturbed me for whatever reason, sad, but like a modern day kidnapping you see on Law and Order.
I thought it was odd to see Ellen's mom playing Mrs. Edward's later in the series..with all the actress's out there, she didn't look like her and all I kept thinking was, "That's Ellen's mom".
(she took the Edward's children too!) Smile
Back to top Go down
Harrietfan
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Harrietfan

Number of posts : 133

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 3:08 am

I find it interesting to see what grief did to Ellen's mom.
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7855

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptyFri Aug 04, 2017 7:28 am

I saw a scene from this episode a few weeks ago when it was on tv, the one where Ellen's mother traps Laura in the basement, but it would be interesting to see the rest of the episode. From what other forum members have said above, I can't believe skinny dipping would be part of a Little House episode at all! I can possibly imagine Laura doing so when she was younger, but not Mary at any age. Mary always seemed much more proper and a rule follower than Laura.
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 11:51 pm

This is my least favorite episode. One time, looked like the girls were carrying an old fashion bathing suit or something? When the girls duck under the water. You think, Ellen will come back up. She probably panic under the water or hair got caught in something. Mr. Busby, he was okay man. He didn't look like, he was going hurt anyone. He looked like, he played the character from Princess Bride. Who was tall and big.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
CoriSCapnSkip
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 35

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:40 pm

There is a tradition that a young girl died in an identical way to the girl in this episode. Ironically, she is known as the Walnut Girl. Try Googling Walnut Girl Armona California for details. I wonder if the episode writer knew of this or just coincidence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MY ELLEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY ELLEN   MY ELLEN Empty

Back to top Go down

MY ELLEN
Page 1 of 1