Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LHOTP sparked a childhood memory

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 77

LHOTP sparked a childhood memory Empty
PostSubject: LHOTP sparked a childhood memory   LHOTP sparked a childhood memory EmptyTue May 31, 2011 2:20 pm

In one episode, Albert gets his friend Simon in trouble. This scene upset me because something similar happened to me as a kid - my friend got punished for something that was largely my fault. We were at his house one afternoon and due to one of my brilliant ideas we started a fire in the kitchen. We tried putting it out with water which was stupid since it was a grease fire. His dad was home (not sure if that was good or bad ). He put the fire out with a fire extinguisher but there was alot of damage. Then he then gave my friend a thrashing right there in front of me, & called my parents to pick me up. I only ended up getting grounded and having my allowance withheld until I could pay for the damage.
I could barely face him the next day & didn''t say anything. I guess partly I was afraid it would embarrass him, but I also felt awkward, so I said nothing even though I felt I owed him an apology. I considered offering to tell his dad it was my fault, but alot of good that wouldve done at that point since he'd already taken the punishment.
Eventually we sort of swept it under the rug and became friends again, but it was never the same after that.
I know hindsight is always 20/20 & it does no good to dwell on it now, but does anyone have any thoughts as to how I should've handled it the next day?
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : LHOTP sparked a childhood memory Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP sparked a childhood memory   LHOTP sparked a childhood memory EmptyTue May 31, 2011 11:59 pm

Well..This was long ago and nothing could be done about it ...But I know I would handle things like you did.

Everyone of us had done something similar when boys and girls, and I think we all got so embarrassed as you did...so...who could blame you for a normal behavior? No

Vanesa.

LHOTP sparked a childhood memory Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP sparked a childhood memory   LHOTP sparked a childhood memory EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:32 pm

The only thing I can say is don't torture yourself with how you should have handled it. You were a child and it was a terrifying experience and so much to take in all at once. I think the way you did handle it was a normal response because you were scared.

If you still talk to this friend you can always mention to him that seeing that episode of lhotp sparked the memory of that kitchen fire and how it has always bothered you. It may be a way for you to get it off your chest after all this time.

LHOTP sparked a childhood memory PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : LHOTP sparked a childhood memory Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP sparked a childhood memory   LHOTP sparked a childhood memory EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:32 pm

I think that's excellent advice, Pam.
Back to top Go down
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP sparked a childhood memory   LHOTP sparked a childhood memory EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 12:30 am

I've decided to write a short story about this. However, I don't feel ready to post it just yet. I was hoping someone might be able to read the rough draft first and tell me what they think before I post it.

Incidentally.... Has anyone been able to make the connection between my screenname and LHOTP?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP sparked a childhood memory   LHOTP sparked a childhood memory Empty

Back to top Go down

LHOTP sparked a childhood memory
Page 1 of 1