Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia

Go down 
+27
Kamberley
julmer70
annecimina
Praire Girl
Rickarda
littlehouselover
Carol
HarrisonCrosby4387
Savannah
littlehousefan200
Ruth
Rob
LIWnut
Misti
Prairie Dweller
easyt72000
alexczarn
Shell
Lori
Joe
jes9
Rhonda
Vanesa
Honeybee
Krissy
Gin
Davetucson
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Bokmal10

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: BARBARA TARBUCK   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 2:30 pm

Born on January 15th of 1942 in Detroit, Michigan, Barbara Tarbuck trained on a Fulbright Grant to the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, Barbara's New York theatre work includes "Landscape & Silence" by Harold Pinter, "Water Engine" by David Mamet, Neil Simon's "Brighton Beach Memoirs" and "Broadway Bound", Joseph Chaikin's production of "America Hurrah!", and "Enter The Night" by Marie Irene Fornes. Recent regional standouts include "Long Days Journey Into Night" at Dallas Theatre Center, "Death of a Salesman" at San Diego Repertory, "The Cripple Of Inishman" at the Geffen, "Wonderful World" at Laguna Playhouse, "Six Characters in Search of an Author" at Williamstown, and "Blue Window" and "Sidney Bechet Killed a Man" at South Coast Repertory. Favorite screen roles: the woman with 12 dogs on "ER" (1994), the aged mother on "Cold Case" (2003) who comes to terms with her murdered son's homosexuality, Dwayne Johnson's mother in Walking Tall (2004), and Kevin McKidd's mother on "Journeyman" (2007).

Attended Cooley High School and Wayne State University, where she won the Eva Woodridge Victor Scholarship and graduated with a bachelor in 1963. Earned her Master's degree in Theatre from the University of Michigan. She then went to Indiana University to work as the lead actress in their inaugural theatre touring company season. She also began to work on her Ph.D. and taught beginning acting. While at Indiana University, she was granted a Fulbright Scholarship to the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA). She then moved to New York to pursue her acting career.

As a child (from the ages of 9-13), she performed as a regular for a children's series called "Storyland", which aired on the AM radio station WWJ in Detroit, Michigan.

Update: Barbara Tarbuck died on December 27th, 2016 in Los Angeles.....She was 74

Films
• Postcard from the Palace as Archduchess Paula (2013)
• S. Darko as Agatha (2009)
• Gone as Cassandra Windemere (2007)
• Walking Tall as Connie Vaughn (2004)
• Tulse Luper Suitcases: The Moab Story as Ma Fender (2003)
• The Tie that Binds as Jean Bennett (1995)
• Curly Sue as Mrs. Arnold (1991)
• The Death of the Incredible Hulk (1990)
• Short Circuit as Sen. Mills (1986)
• The Golden Girls as Martha McDowell (1987)
Television
• Dallas as Cliff Barnes' secretary (1979)
• M*A*S*H (TV Series) as Maj. Judy "Parallel" Parker (1982)
• Police Squad! as Mrs. Twice (1982)
General Hospital as Lady Jane Jacks - 41 Episodes
• NYPD Blue as Barbara Colohan
• Journeyman (2007) Grandmother Vasser
• Glee as Nancy Bletheim A Geometry teacher.
• American Horror Story: Asylum as Mother Superior
Theatre
• Brighton Beach Memoirs as Kate Jerome (1984)

She Was On One Little House Episode
The Lost Ones - Part Two - 1981
As Beth Tomkins
Tried To Adopt James and Cassandra

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Barbar11
Recent Photo
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Barbar11

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."

Last edited by Davetucson on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:09 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Mood : anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Michael - Both of Them!   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 5:20 pm

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Dom48310

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: TIGER WILLIAMS   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Tiger Williams acted from 1971 through 1979. He appeared in twenty one titles. Some of them were My Three Sons, Marcus Welby, Adam 12, The Waltons, Eathquake, The Love Boat,Fantasy Isalnd, The Rockford Files, The Incredible Hulk and The Long Days of Summer.

You may remember him as Simon, the boy who called Albert a Bast%!*,
Albert got a little irritated!

One Episode of Little House
Family Tree - 1979 - Simon

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Tiger_10
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Tiger_11

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: MEL STEWART   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Mel Stewart was born in September of 1929. He was an African-American musician, teacher and actor.

From Cleveland, Ohio, Milton Stewart was also an excellent jazz saxophonist. While in New York he played with the likes of John Coltrane and others. Other music-based endeavors include his voice narrating Scenes in the City on Charles Mingus’ album “New York Sketchbook.” As an actor, Broadway is where he Cut His Teeth before starring in Langston Hughes’ Simply Heaven. From there Stewart moved to San Francisco to be in Chicago’s Second City ipmrov group “The Committee.”

A third degree Black Belt in Aikido, Stewart was best known for appearing on television's "All in the Family" and "Scarecrow and Mrs. King." He appeared from 1971 to 1973 on "All in the Family," portraying the outspoken Henry Jefferson, a member of the Black family living next door to Archie Bunker. He also had roles in movies including “The Land Lord” (1970), “Trick Baby” and "Steelyard Blues" (1973) and "Newman's Law" (1974). He was married to Annie Dong-Stewart and had a daughter, Alia Dong-Stewart.

He was also an acting instructor whose students included Danny Glover. Stewart taught acting workshops at San Francisco State University and founded a theater group called Bantu, for Black Actors Now Through Unity. Stewart retired after making "Made in America" with Whoopi Goldberg in 1993. Melvin Stewart died on February 24, 2002 from Alzheimer's disease in Pacifica, California. He was 72 years old.

He was in 83 productions in a career that spanned from 1959 to 1993.

One Little House Episode
Make A Joyful Noise – 1981 - Hertzell Lundy
He Came Close To Marrying Hester Sue

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Mel_st10

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: WILLIAM PHIPPS   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:07 am

Born: 2/4/1922, Vincennes, Indiana, U.S.A.

In the early days of 1950s science-fiction, William Phipps was one of the first people to become identified with the genre was actor William Phipps. Aside from furnishing the voice of Prince Charming in Disney's cartoon classic Cinderella (1950), Phipps also hid his boyish face beneath a beard as the star of Arch Oboler's end-of-the-world melodrama Five (1951); made a token appearance in Oboler's The Twonky (1953); encountered Martians in both Invaders from Mars (1953) and The War of the Worlds (1953); and took on the Abominable Snowman as one of the leads in The Snow Creature (1954). Most notoriously, he even grappled with Moon maidens set on world conquest in the almost indescribable Cat-Women of the Moon (1953). Phipps was born in Vincennes, Indiana, in 1922 and grew up in St. Francisville, Illinois; he knew from boyhood that he was destined to be an actor and appeared in several plays in grade school and at Eastern Illinois University. Hitchhiking to Hollywood in 1941, he worked on the stage and later in films, beginning with RKO's Crossfire (1947). Over the next 60 years he amassed a long list of film and TV credits; he also did commercials and voiceover work, including the narration for the special 190-minute TV version of David Lynch's Dune (1984).

He Served in the Navy for three years during World War II.

Quotes from a 1991 interview:
“Whatever came along, whether it was Cat-Women of the Moon (1953), The War of the Worlds (1953) or Five (1951), I would stick my toe in the water. If it felt OK, I would do it. I never thought about what any of these would do for my career, never thought ahead to whether it would be a success or what it would do for me. I never had any kind of plan or blueprint, never tried to capitalize on anything. But I kept busy throughout a 40-year career and I'm still busy today. I know I've always been a good actor, I know that I am now, and I know I still get work. And I have the respect of my peers. Hey, what more could you ask for?”

One of the most prolific character actors in Hollywood, Phipps was in 213 productions from 1947 through 2000. A sampling include Empty Nest, 2 episodes of Highway to Heaven, Hill Street Blues, 6 episodes of Santa Barbara, The Dukes of Hazzard, 4 episodes of The Waltons, Murder She Wrote and on and on.

He celebrates his ninety first birthday today, February 4th, at this writing. (Born 1922)

UPDATE: PHIPPS, William (William Edward Phipps)
Died: June 1st, 2018, Santa Monica, California, U.S.A. He was 96.

One Episode Of Little House
Second Chance 1982 As Myron Hicks

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Willia10

Last edited by Davetucson on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: RICHARD KENNEDY   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 2:13 pm

Richard Kennedy was a chubby, lively and dependable character actor who essayed a nice array of often colorful supporting roles in a bunch of enjoyably down'n'dirty 70s drive-in exploitation pictures. Kennedy was born on June 19 in 1907 and hailed from Galveston, Texas. He served in the army and was stationed in Germany during his tour of duty. Richard began acting in movies in the early 70s. He appears in the first two notoriously nasty "Ilsa" films: he's a slimy Nazi general in "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS" and the bumbling Henry Kissingeresque American diplomat Kaiser in "Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks." Moreover, Kennedy was in several features for director Matt Cimber; he's especially memorable as a corrupt vice cop in "The Candy Tangerine Man" and was excellent as a homicide detective in the disturbing "The Witch Who Came from the Sea." Other noteworthy roles include a flunky for villain Ralph Meeker in the brutal revenge opus "Johnny Firecloud;" hilarious as a drunken Texan in the delightful "Sixpack Annie," an obnoxious newspaper reporter in "C.B. Hustlers," a preacher who delivers a vehement anti-rock sermon in "The Buddy Holly Story;" deliciously hammy as evil businessman Mr. Olsen in "The Capture of Bigfoot," and J. Edgar Hoover in "Down on Us." Richard did guest spots on the TV shows "Little House on the Prairie," "Happy Days," "The Rockford Files," "Charlie's Angels," "Far Out Space Nuts," and "Petrocelli."

Appeared in 44 productions from 1971 through 1985

Richard Kennedy died at age 78 on October 1, 1985 in Los Angeles, Ca.

He Was On One Little House Episode
The Angry Heart – 1979 – As The Sheriff Who Locked Up Tod

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Richar11

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: SANDY WARD   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 2:52 pm

Sandy Ward was born in July of 1926 in Alamosa, Colorado. He was a veteran character actor in countless film and TV parts for over three decades. He had a recurring role in eleven episodes of “Malcolm in the Middle” created by Linwood Boomer who played Adam Kendall, Mary’s husband on Little House.

From 1971 through 2003, he appeared in 105 film and televison productions. Among them were JAG, Seinfeld, Murder She Wrote, Family Ties, Hill Street Blues, Falcon Crest, five episodes of Dallas, and Rich Man Poor Man to name a few.

He died in March of 2005 in Orange County, California at the age of 78.

He Was On One Episode of Little House
The Werewolf Of Walnut Grove - 1980
Bartholomew Slater Sr.
Father of Bart Jr. Who Beat Up On Albert

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Sandy_10

Last edited by Davetucson on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: ALAN R. PETERSON   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Careers don't get much shorter than this!

Alan R. Peterson played Clarence in "The Werewolf of Walnut Grove".
He helped Albert and Laura with the Werewolf stunt. It was his one and only acting role.
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Alan_r10

Last edited by Davetucson on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: PATRICIA DONAHUE   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Born Patricia Mahar on June 21, 1929 in New York City, Patricia Donahue was in as many as seventy-four television shows from 1956 to 1987. Sometimes she is listed as Tricia Donahue and other times as Pat Donahue.

While known as an actress, she is better known for her son, Jerry Donahue the guitarist. After the birth of this son in 1946 she and her husband Sam Donahue, the big band saxophonist, moved to Los Angeles. In 1953 she had another son, Marc who grew up to compose movie soundtracks. Her husband Sam played with some big bands like Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman and Patricia began an acting career. Though her marriage to Sam didn’t last, she did encourage her sons to pursue their music careers.

Along with playing the lovely Regina in Bonanza, she was in Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Bachelor Father, The Virginian and many more. She was a popular actress and played varied parts.

In December of 1962 she married again but sometime between her marriages Patricia dated Pernell Roberts and perhaps this is why the chemistry between them was so good in The Hopefuls. She may have dated one member of the cast, but she was seen again with another. Patricia plays the mother of an unruly child in The Werewolf of Walnut Grove episode of Michael Landon's Little House on the Prairie series.

In 1975 Patricia and then husband Euan Lloyd adopted a child, Ando Lloyd, from Viet Nam. Euan Lloyd is a British film producer and better known for movies like The Sea Wolves and The Wild Geese. Patricia’s career focused mainly as a guest star on established shows and not in any of her husband's movies.

She played Birdie Wells in General Hospital. Currently eighty three years old and out of the public eye.

Update: Passed away June 11th, 2012 - 82 Years Old

Werewolf of Walnut Grove – 1980 –
As Mrs. Slater – Bart Slater’s Mother

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Patric10

Last edited by Davetucson on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: TRIVIA   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:57 pm

In the episode, Here Come the Brides, Scottie MacGregor was actually injured in the scene where Mrs. Olson falls off the horse. Because MacGregor was unable to do the next sequence, Ruth Foster (who plays Mrs. Foster in the show) dressed in Mrs. Olson's costume and filmed the scene for her instead.

Mrs. Olsen and Nels Fall From The Horse
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Scene_11
Ruth Foster Standing In For Scottie MacGregor
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Scene_12

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Oscar Winners on Little House   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Eight Oscar winning actors appeared as guest stars on various episodes of Little House.
They were Ernest Borgnine (who won an Oscar for Marty), Patricia Neal (Hud), Burl Ives (The Big Country),
Red Buttons (Sayonara), Eileen Heckart (Butterflies Are Free), Louis Gossett Jr. (An Officer And A Gentleman),
Ralph Bellamy (1987 Honorary Academy Award) and double winner Sean Penn (Mystic River and Milk).

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: TRIVIA   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Radames Pera, who played John Sanderson Jr, had
an earlier role as the young Kwai Chang Caine in 36 episodes
of Kung Fu, starring David Carradine.

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 2radam10
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Radame10

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: MANKATO, MINNESOTA   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:45 pm

While Winoka was ficticious, Mankato, Minnesota is Very Real!

The area was long settled by various cultures of indigenous peoples. After European colonization began on the East Coast, pressure from settlement and other Native American tribes caused different peoples to migrate into the area. By the mid-nineteenth century Dakota language–speaking four divisions of the Dakota Sioux were the primary indigenous group in the territory.

Henry Jackson (1811–1857), one of the pioneers of Mankato, previously served as the first Justice of the Peace in St. Paul (1843), first Postmaster of St. Paul (1846–1849) and also served as a member of the first Territorial Assembly.[10]
Mankato Township was not settled by European Americans until Parsons King Johnson in February 1852, as part of the nineteenth century migration of people from the east across the Midwest. New residents organized the city of Mankato on May 11, 1858. The city was organized by Henry Jackson, Parsons King Johnson, Col. D.A. Robertson, Justus C. Ramsey, and unnamed others. The city recently celebrated its sesquicentennial. A popular story says that the city was intended to have been named Mahkato, but a typographical error by a clerk established the name as Mankato. According to Upham, quoting historian Thomas Hughes of Mankato, "The honor of christening the new city was accorded to Col. Robertson. He had taken the name from Nicollet's book, in which the French explorer compared the 'Mahkato" or Blue Earth River, with all its tributaries, to the water nymphs and their uncle in the German legend of Undine.'...No more appropriate name could be given the new city, than that of the noble river at whose mouth it is located." While it may or may not be true that the city was intended to be called Mahkato, the Dakota called the river Makato Osa Watapa (meaning "the river where blue earth is gathered." The Anglo settlers adapted that as the Blue Earth River.[12] Notwithstanding the above history of the name for town of Mankato - Dakota word for Blue Earth, according to Frederick Webb Hodge, in his "Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico," Volume 1, page 801, the town was named after the older of the two like-named chiefs of the Mdewakanton division of the Santee Dakota, whose village stood on or near the site of the present town.

Ishtakhaba, also known as Chief Sleepy Eye, of the Sisseton band of Dakota Indians was said to have directed settlers to this location. He said the site at the confluence of the Minnesota and Blue Earth Rivers was well suited for building and for river traffic, and yet safe from flooding. The town of Sleepy Eye, Minnesota was named after him.

On December 26, 1862, the US Army carried out the largest mass execution in U.S. history at Mankato following the Dakota War of 1862. Thirty-eight Dakota Native Americans were hanged for their parts in the uprising. A military tribunal had sentenced 303 to death. President Lincoln reviewed the record and pardoned 265, believing they had been involved in legitimate defense against military forces. Episcopal Bishop Henry Benjamin Whipple had urged leniency in the case, but his position was not politically popular in Minnesota. Lincoln's intervention was not popular at the time. Two commemorative statues are located on the site of the hangings (now home to the Blue Earth County Library and Reconciliation Park).
In 1880 Mankato ranked fourth in size in the state. The population was 5,500.

Former Vice President Schuyler Colfax died while traveling in Mankato on January 13, 1885.

In 2010, the population of Mankato was roughly 40,000.

Mankato is located approximately sixty miles from Walnut Grove.
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Mankat11

Last edited by Davetucson on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: SLEEPY EYE, MINNESOTA   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Sleepy Eye, Minnesota

Named after Chief Sleepy Eye, or Ishtakhaba, who was known as a compassionate person with droopy eyelids (or maybe just one), hence his name. The Chief was one of four Sioux Indians (four Ojibwe also attended) chosen to meet President James Monroe in 1824 in the nation's capital. Later, Sleepy Eye was an integral player in the 1851 signing of the Treaty of Traverse des Sioux, which gave all of the land but a 10-mile swath on each side of the upper Minnesota River to the U.S. government. His recommendations to traders led to the successful settlement of Mankato, away from flood areas, and the Chief eventually settled his people near the lake now known as Sleepy Eye Lake.

Residents of Sleepy Eye made headlines in the early 1990s for trying to ban MTV in the town

Located thirty nine miles from Walnut Grove.
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Sleepy10

Last edited by Davetucson on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: REDWOOD FALLS and WALNUT GROVE   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Redwood Falls, Minnesota

Redwood Falls is where Albert Ingalls met his biological father in the Court House. While Albert was fictional, the town does exist. It is approximately 40 miles from Walnut Grove. It’s population today is 5,000.
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 J_quin10

As the immigrant and Euro-American population of the North American east coast region grew, population pressures affected people far inland. People moved west to find new homes as more and more land was used by farmers. The Minnesota area is the ancestral homeland of the Dakota people, which consisted of the Oceti sakowin (seven council fires). By 1700, Ojibwe) had come to what is now Minnesota and at times they had come into conflict with each other.

The traditional Dakota yearly cycle of farming, hunting, fishing, and gathering wild rice had been unalterably interrupted by cultural changes. Permanent farms were established by settlers. Forests were removed for timber and farmland in eastern Minnesota. Wild game like bison, elk, whitetail deer, and bear had been hunted so intensively that populations were tiny compared to the populations before Euro-American settlement. Dakota people relied on the sale of valuable furs to American traders to earn cash needed to buy necessities.

To encourage the Dakota to bring in more furs, traders offered merchandise on credit. It is not clear that the concept of credit was readily understood in the Dakota culture, but their dependence on trade goods was real.
Pressure from traders who wanted to be paid and concern from government officials about the ability of the Dakota to earn the money they wanted, led to the 1851 Treaty of Traverse des Sioux. In exchange for money and goods, the Dakota agreed to live on a twenty mile wide reservation centered on a 75-mile stretch of the upper Minnesota River. Annuity payments for the Dakota were late in the summer of 1862.

What is now Redwood Falls was within the reservation area. The war of 1862 was a small segment of the Sioux’s long history of conflict, first with other Indian tribes and then with the white man. Corruption and malfeasance by the Bureau of Indian Affairs combined with the inability of many Dakota to adjust to change in functional ways created great hardships for the Dakota. An August 4, 1862 confrontation between soldiers and braves led to a decision to distribute provisions on credit to avoid violence. At the Lower Agency at Redwood, however, things were handled differently. At an August 15, 1862 meeting attended by Dakota representatives, Indian Agent Thomas Galbraith, and representatives of the traders, the traders resisted pleas to distribute provisions held in agency warehouses to starving Dakota until the annuity payments finally arrived. In 1862, U.S. officials in Minnesota were distracted by the U.S. Civil War and the suffering of the Dakota was severe. Payments to the Dakota were not made and some young men took action to claim what they were owed, killing several people in the process. Thus began the Dakota War of 1862.
As a result of the war, the U.S. government abolished the reservation, hung 38 participants, and attempted to expel the Dakota people from Minnesota. In 1864, Sam McPhail, a colonel who had commanded U.S. troops in the war and was a land speculator, claimed the land where Redwood Falls is now located. He hired men to use lumber from the Dakota reservation to build a fortified house and surrounded it with a sod stockade eight feet tall. McPhail published the Redwood Falls Patriot from 1866 to 1869. He was a probate judge and first Redwood County attorney. In 1872, he donated land for the county courthouse.

One of the people who joined McPhail in 1864 was John St. George Honner. Honner claimed land north of Redwood Falls. The house he built in 1869, stands in North Redwood and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Honner was the first postmaster and a county official. He was a representative and a senator in the state legislature between 1866 and 1874. Honner also operated a granite quarry near North Redwood and supplied the stone for the county courthouse.

The cities of North Redwood and Redwood Falls merged in 1996 and now coexist as the single entity Redwood Falls.
Redwood Falls is home to the Minnesota Inventors Congress. Started in the 1958 to encourage innovation and entrepreneurship and attract industry to town, MIC holds a juried exhibition each June. It also sponsors a contest for student inventors.

Walnut Grove, Minnesota

The community of Walnut Grove began in 1870. A nation, fresh from civil war, had literally been ripped apart. Its citizens sought new beginnings, far from the settled eastern states. The Homestead Act of 1862 urged pioneers, sodbusters, and immigrants to head west and make their mark on the great expanse of the Plains. It was a time of change and progress in communications and travel. A telegraph system joined the country from coast to coast in 1861. East and West were joined by rail in 1869.

During the 1870's the village of Walnut Grove grew. Pioneers settled along the banks of Plum Creek. The land was rich, and game was plentiful. Hardships were common on the prairie. A grasshopper plague almost destroyed the settlement in 1870. Perseverance, hard work, and a strong Christian faith carried the community through the many hard times.

Lafayette Bedal, the village's first postmaster, opened his home to the children in 1873, conducting school classes in his living room. The Congregational Church was built in the village in 1874. Other buildings included: three general stores, hardware, drug, grocery, flour and feed stores, a hotel, confectionery, lumber yard, fuel dealer, harness shop, shoe shop, blacksmith shop, meat market, elevator, a doctor's office, a law office, and one saloon.
Walnut Grove was incorporated on March 18, 1879. Its name came from the beautiful grove of walnut trees along the banks of Plum Creek. The first village officials were: Elias Bedal, president; T. Quarntan, J. Leo, and C. Clementson trustees; F.H. Hill, recorder; W.H. Owens (William Oleson), treasurer; J. Russel, constable; and Charles Ingalls, justice of the peace.
The population of Walnut Grove is currently approximately 870.
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 250px-10

Last edited by Davetucson on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 8:05 pm

Goodness Dave! You have been back to digging! Interesting and thanks for the work.

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Re: David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Gin wrote:
Goodness Dave! You have been back to digging! Interesting and thanks for the work.

Thanks Gin! FUN STUFF!

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: WILLIAM PRINCE   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:51 am

William Prince, born in January of 1913, in Nichols, New York, was a character actor whose popularity was due to hundreds of appearances in soap operas. Going from the stage to the screen, William had an undistinguished movie career in the 40's which ran out of steam after about four years. But in the 50's, he would find his calling on the small screen. On "Young Dr. Malone" (1958), he played the father for five years. He was also cast in "Another World" (1964), "The Edge of Night" (1956), "Search for Tomorrow" (1951) and "A World Apart" (1969). One note worthy credit was that he was part of the continuing cast on the first hour long Television drama series "The Mask" (1954). By the 70's and 80's, he appeared in a number of Television Mini-Series and Television Movies. On the stage, he appeared in plays by Eugene O'Neill and Edward Albee.

His best film role was as Christian de Neuvillette in the 1950 film version of Cyrano de Bergerac (1950), starring José Ferrer in his Oscar-winning role as Cyrano.
He appeared in many adaptations of/and original plays on TV during the Golden Age of Television, including an adaptation of "Arsenic and Old Lace" in which he played Mortimer Brewster, the role that Cary Grant played in the 1944 film version. To many modern viewers, he is primarily known as a soap opera actor.

He appeared in over 150 films and television shows in a fifty career that started in 1943 and ended in 1994. A sampling of his work:
THE PAPER (1994), STEEL AND LACE (1991),NETWORK (1976),SHAKEDOWN (1988),MOVERS & SHAKERS (1985),THE STING II (1983),BRONCO BILLY (1980), FIRE SALE (1977),FAMILY PLOT (1976),THE HEARTBREAK KID (1972)

He passed way at the age of 83 in October of 1996 in Tarrytown, New York.

One Little House Episode
Once Upon A Time – 1983 – Mr. Amos L. Broxton
The Publisher That Wanted To Change Laura’s Story

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Wiliam10
In "The Stepford Wives"
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Willia10

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Little House Promos NBC   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Their Greatest Test Of Courage!
This Is What We Saw Back Then!1979

Karen Grassle Promo for VHS Memories - 1995

Look Who's Eating The Cereal In This Commercial!

Last edited by Davetucson on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 11:37 pm

That was quick! Thanks Dave.
Commercials and promos sure have changed alot.

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: NEWELL ALEXANDER   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 1:58 am

Newell Alexander was born in Borger, Texas in September of 1935. His stage credits include the original productions of Del Shores' "Cheatin'," "Daddy's Dyin' Who's Got the Will?" (and also the film version), "Sordid Lives" (and also the film version) and "Southern Baptist Sissies". Newell's TV work includes recurring roles on "Big Love" (2006) for HBO, "Arrested Development" (2003), "Alias" (2001) and "Walker, Texas Ranger" (1993). He is a principal member of the "L.A. MadDogs", one of the industry's busiest voice-over groups (Ray (2003), Shark Tale (2004), Shrek (2001), Shrek 2 (2004), Madagascar (2005), Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003), Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004), among others). Has has also voiced commercials for such companies as Smith Barney, CVS Phamacy, Cool Whip, Aleve, Pfizer, Acura, Coca-Cola, Wells Fargo Bank and Washington Apples. Newell is the George W. Bush sound-alike for MoveOn.org. He plays Gen. Sam Houston as the host of the Texas History Museum's "Texas Hall of Heroes" at the State Capitol in Austin. He has produced and performed in 33 hour-long radio dramas for the Autry Museum of Western Heritage for PBS. Newell performed as Neil Young's opening act "Dan Clear" for 70 shows in 1983-84. He and his wife Rosemary share five children and seven grandchildren.

Is the ex-father-in-law of writer/director Del Shores, with whom Alexander still frequently works (Sordid Lives (2000), Southern Baptist Sissies (2009)). Shores was married to his daughter Kelley Alexander and they have two daughters together, Rebecca & Caroline -- Alexander's grandchildren.

He flew jets in the U.S. Navy.

An award-winning advertising designer and art director for 12 years.
Newell and his wife Rosemary produced Wells Fargo Radio Theater at the Autry Museum for 12 years producing 38 hour long live radio dramas.

He has appeared in ninety one productions, both in film and television, since he began acting in 1973.

In One Little House Episode
A Christmas They Never Forgot -1981
As Fredrick Holbrook – Carolyn’s Step Father

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Newell10
On Location "To Kill A Memory" in 2012 At Old Tucson, Arizona
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Newell11

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: WILLIAM BENEDICT   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 3:47 am

William Benedict , born April 16, 1917 in Haskell, Oklahoma , was an American actor.He took part in school theatricals, and on leaving school he made his way to Hollywood. His first film was $10 Raise (1935) starring Edward Everett Horton, which launched Benedict on a busy career. The blond-haired Benedict almost always played juvenile roles, such as newsboys, messengers, office boys, and farmhands. In 1939, when Universal Pictures began its Little Tough Guys series to compete with the popular Dead End Kids features, Billy Benedict was recruited into the cast. These films led him into the similar East Side Kids movies (usually playing a member of the East Side gang, but occasionally in villainous roles). The East Side Kids became The Bowery Boys in 1946, and Benedict stayed with the series (as "Whitey") through the end of 1951.

Other films included Way Down East (1935) with Henry Fonda, My Little Chickadee (1940) starring W. C. Fields and Mae West, The Ox-Bow Incident (1943) with Henry Fonda, The Sting (1973) with Paul Newman and Robert Redford, and Farewell, My Lovely (1975). Benedict never shook his juvenile image completely, and continued to play messengers and news vendors well into his sixties. He also worked often in television commercials.

William Benedict was in a whopping 294 film and television appearances, in a career that lasted over 53 years from 1935 through 1988. One of them was an appearance on Highway To Heaven as Bobby Joe in the episode "The Good Doctor".

He passed away In Los Angeles in November of 1999. He was 82 years old.

One Little House Episode
I Do Again – 1981
Reverend Lyman
He Married Charles and Carolyn The Second Time

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Willia11
Dead End Kids Movie Poster in the Forties - Bill is In Center
anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Willia12

Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 11:14 am

Wow! Just caught up with this! I also didn't realize that Barbara Tarbuck (aka, Mrs. Tomkins) was also Lady Jane (Jax's mother) from GH! In all the years I've been watching GH, I never put it together. Thanks for all the info, Dave! Goodpost
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: KELLY JEAN PETERS   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Kelly Jean Peters was born July 2, 1940, in Columbus, OH. She was the daughter of George Elliott and Marietta Curry. She married Timothy John McIntire in August of 1969 and divorced in 1980. She received a degree at Carnegie Institute of Technology (now Carnegie–Mellon University), B.A. in Drama in 1966.

Television Appearances;
Betty Carson, Terror on the 40th Floor (also known as The Blazing Tower ), NBC, 1974.
Mrs. Gates, "Tail Gunner Joe," The Big Event, NBC, 1977.
Mrs. Wharton, A Question of Guilt, CBS, 1978.
Mary Roberts, Killjoy (also known as Who Murdered Joy Morgan? ), CBS, 1981.
Karen Hudson, Having It All, ABC, 1982.
Ginger, Cagney & Lacey: The Return, CBS, 1994.
Episodic Television Appearances
Franny, "Cherokee Hank," Hank, NBC, 1965.
Fern Badderly, "Too Many Girls" (also known as "Davy and Fern"), The Monkees, NBC, 1966.
Jackie, "The Silent Gun," The Green Hornet, ABC, 1966.
Lee Diver, "Broken Gun," The Iron Horse, ABC, 1966.
Adele, "Prairie Wolfers," Gunsmoke, CBS, 1967.
Elaine, "Yesterday's Timepiece," The Virginian, NBC, 1967.
Margie, "These Boots Weren't Made for Walking," That Girl, ABC, 1967.
Nicole, "Dark Outpost," The Invaders, ABC, 1967.
Sister John, "Ladies from St. Louis," Gunsmoke, CBS, 1967.
Vera Cross, "Johnny Cross," Gunsmoke, CBS, 1968.
Winifred Proxmire, "The Librarian," The Doris Day Show, CBS, 1968.
"Love and the New Roommate," Love, American Style, ABC, 1971.
"The Outspoken Silence," The Young Lawyers, ABC, 1971.
Miss "Missy" Hamilton, "The Lonely Man," Bonanza, NBC, 1972.
Lieutenant Louise Anderson, "Love Story," M*A*S*H, CBS, 1973.
Martha Lovitt, "The Stone," Kung Fu, ABC, 1973.
"Love and the Laughing Lover," Love, American Style, ABC, 1973.
Sandra Reevus, "The Investigator," Cannon, CBS, 1975.
"Has Anybody Here Seen Quincy?," Quincy (also known as Quincy, M.E. ), NBC, 1977.
Fay Parker, "Kidnapped," Dallas, CBS, 1978.
"A Test for the Living," Quincy (also known as Quincy, M.E. ), NBC, 1978.
Mrs. Washington, "Merry Christmas, Bogg," Voyagers!, NBC, 1982.
"What Is This Thing Called Lust?," Newhart, CBS, 1983.
Sharon Coombs, "The New Man," Tales from the Darkside, syndicated, 1984.
"Career Decision," Growing Pains, ABC, 1986.
Ginger Cohen, "Right to Remain Silent," Cagney & Lacey, CBS, 1987.
Ginger Cohen, "Amends," Cagney & Lacey, CBS, 1988.
Ginger Cohen, "Shadow of a Doubt," Cagney & Lacey, CBS, 1988.
Mrs. Denton, "Eyewitness News," Alien Nation, Fox, 1990.
"Back to the Suture," L.A. Law, NBC, 1992.
Appeared as Clara Nadolski in an episode of Homefront, ABC.

She appeared in 62 film and television titles from 1962 through 2009
You May Remember Her As A Nurse on M*A*S*H

Soldiers Return – 1976
As Vera Collins Opposite Michael Wixted

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Kelly_10

Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 11:26 pm

I believe that was Casey Kasem, of American Top 40 fame, who did those late '70s promos for NBC.

anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia   anderson - David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia - Page 30 Empty

Back to top Go down

David's Little House Star Profiles and Trivia
Page 30 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next