Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A fan ponders some questions

Go down 
+7
Rhonda
Rob
Davetucson
Krissy
Praire Girl
bethandmanly
littlehouselover
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

A fan ponders some questions Empty
PostSubject: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:31 pm

I found this online and thought how many times some of us thought the same thing. I don't agree with some observations, others will remain a mystery:

When I was a young child, I became addicted to episodes of Little House on the Prairie. Now, thanks to the Hallmark Channel, I could continue watching the show at least 4x a day.

And while I love the program, years of watching the series have left me with a bunch of questions. Questions in some cases that could never be answered. I merely present my random musings to those who might enjoy a trip back through Walnut Grove.

So for now, I leave you with this list of 15. Don’t be surprised to see more installments in the future:

Why did the Ingalls have the crappiest house in Walnut Grove? How did the Garveys (and everyone else in the town) end up with a much larger home? Didn’t Jonathan work at the same exact mill as Charles? (Granted, the Garveys only had one mouth to feed…but you get my point.)
Why wasn’t older Carrie ever given a storyline? (I think the last time she was featured was when she fell down the hole.) If the attention wasn’t on either Laura or Albert, it was on the new adoptees James and Cassandra. As it was, Carrie barely ever spoke.
Why were the older males never meant to have love? Mr. Edwards lost two families and then gave up a blind girl because he felt he was too old. And how about Dr. Baker? He also gave up Anne Archer because of age.
Speaking of love, why didn’t Hester Sue and Joe Kagan ever get together?
Was Charles the only person in town who could solve things with his fists?
When the families temporarily left Walnut Grove to make money in other towns (like Winoka), what did Dr. Baker do?
Why didn’t Laura and Almanzo volunteer to take more orphans in? (I’m not counting Shannen Doherty since she was technically a relative.) Laura knew what it was like to grow up in a large family and she had a huge house. She could have offered to take James and Cassandra in when they were looking for parents. Heck - she could have even offered to trade homes with her cramped parents.
Exactly how much older was Almanzo to Laura?
When the Ingalls were struggling, how did Charles always find money for tobacco?
When Mary’s baby died in the fire, how did Dr. Baker know the fire started in the basement? Was he also the town fire marshal?
Whatever happened to the black doctor Hiram brought on?
If there were approximately 100 residents in Walnut Grove, why did only 20 of them show up to church every week? I think more people ate at Nellie’s during their franchise stint.
Why were Caroline and Hester Sue responsible for running every shift at the restaurant? Couldn’t Mrs. Oleson find someone for the breakfast rush?
Why did Hester Sue feel it was necessary to sing after every event?
When did Charles and Caroline find the time to produce more children? Not only did they lack bedroom doors - Carrie slept in the same room!

For those of you in the Minneapolis area, just a quick reminder. A stage version of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books (starring Melissa Gilbert) will be hitting Guthrie Theater in a few weeks.

http://television.gearlive.com/tvenvy/article/q107-my-nagging-questions-about-little-house-on-the-prairie/
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : A fan ponders some questions Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:41 am

Why did the Ingalls have the crappiest house in Walnut Grove? How did the Garveys (and everyone else in the town) end up with a much larger home? Didn’t Jonathan work at the same exact mill as Charles? (Granted, the Garveys only had one mouth to feed…but you get my point.)

Because, if the Ingalls family had a bigger house, it would be called “Little House That is Now a Big House on the Prairie.” LOL! Actually, I think a lot of it does have to do with the fact that they had more kids. People with larger houses were business people or had fewer or no kids: the Widow Thurman, the Olesons, snippy Christie who was a town girl, Mrs. Craig, and Lars Hanson. Often the houses shown for other townsfolk were smaller than the Ingalls farm. My question was how did Almanzo (a farmer) and Eliza Jane (a teacher) afford that nice house?

Why wasn’t older Carrie ever given a storyline? (I think the last time she was featured was when she fell down the hole.) If the attention wasn’t on either Laura or Albert, it was on the new adoptees James and Cassandra. As it was, Carrie barely ever spoke.

Agreed. Give that girl a storyline or acting lessons—whichever was necessary.

Why were the older males never meant to have love? Mr. Edwards lost two families and then gave up a blind girl because he felt he was too old. And how about Dr. Baker? He also gave up Anne Archer because of age.

No chizz. Even the Reverend Alden ended up married.

They did. After Hester Sue almost married that horrible funeral director, she leaves the church on the arm of Joe Kagan. He asks her if that means they’re engaged, and she says something like, “I’ll have to see how you work out.” Then in Second Chance (Season 8), Hester Sue’s ex-husband comes back and she admits to Caroline that she didn’t marry Joe because she couldn’t rid herself of her feelings for Sam.

Was Charles the only person in town who could solve things with his fists?

I think Jonathan Garvey did a good job of that too.

When the families temporarily left Walnut Grove to make money in other towns (like Winoka), what did Dr. Baker do?

He stayed to take care of Lars, who had a stroke, and a few others. But why did Mrs. Foster stay? Or anyone else who hung around when there was no church and no store. It couldn’t have been easy to get supplies.

Why didn’t Laura and Almanzo volunteer to take more orphans in? (I’m not counting Shannen Doherty since she was technically a relative.) Laura knew what it was like to grow up in a large family and she had a huge house. She could have offered to take James and Cassandra in when they were looking for parents. Heck - she could have even offered to trade homes with her cramped parents.

Because, until Charles and Caroline left, they were the role models of the community. They were the parents and they fixed the problems. Also, Charles felt responsible for the Cooper children.

They don’t really say. In Back to School, Charles asks Caroline how old he is. He assumes he’s in his 20s, but I don’t think we ever know.

When the Ingalls were struggling, how did Charles always find money for tobacco?

Maybe he has a patch hidden in the wheat. LOL!

When Mary’s baby died in the fire, how did Dr. Baker know the fire started in the basement? Was he also the town fire marshal?

Doesn’t Hester Sue open the door to the basement and sees the fire? I would think the pipe would have been destroyed by the intense heat.

He’s working on the same alternate prairie as Dr. Marvin, who cures Jenny.

If there were approximately 100 residents in Walnut Grove, why did only 20 of them show up to church every week? I think more people ate at Nellie’s during their franchise stint.

Some lived pretty far out of town. They probably didn’t come all the time. But I'm sure no one ate at a restaurant that often.

Why were Caroline and Hester Sue responsible for running every shift at the restaurant? Couldn’t Mrs. Oleson find someone for the breakfast rush?

Now, where’s the fun in that?

Considering Ketty Lester was a singer, that doesn’t surprise me.

When did Charles and Caroline find the time to produce more children? Not only did they lack bedroom doors - Carrie slept in the same room!

They are very inventive or quiet.
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:23 am

A few answers of my own before I go to work:

A LOT of people mention this. Even if she wasn't an actress per se, give her a few lines, have her answer a question in class..something! Did non-speaking roles cost less?
I always wondered this also, they were well suited, but "Joe" did do another show later.
I met him once and he seemed like he didn't want to talk about LHOP as much as the other which is understandable.

I always thought Laura just liked it the way it was, just her and Almonzo, but I remember having similar thoughts.

Maybe he got a better offer in another town? I'd like to think something positive rather than he's still trapped in the room above the restaurant.
I assume most couldn't make it (or the church couldn't hold them) but they did seem to have a lot of $$ in town for food, Caroline worked very hard for her salary!

I think being a singer, they wanted her to use her voice as much as possible. It was very nice.
A thought they has passed through a few minds I'm sure....luckily they all went to school at some point and there were those "berry-picking" afternoons. : )
Back to top Go down
Praire Girl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 132

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 7:33 am

If Nellie and Percival stayed, they would have helped but alas, they were shipped off to NYC. What fun storylines with them, the twins and Nancy there would have been! (although I'd never leave her alone with them)

That and coffee were the last to go when money was tight. I wonder if they sold the dishes he got from Widow Thurmon for a "rainy day" supply. :P

I agree, it had to stay "Little House" but even a small room wouldn't have changed that much. I always thought everyone's house was bigger, they had living areas, actual bedrooms with doors etc. Even when they showed poor families they had bedrooms. I remember Mr Pyke the recluse had a nice home, the Sanderson's seemed nice, they had a nice room and their own bedrooms.
I personally loved the loft but it would be dangerous for under 3 or 4yrs I would think. The home had a cuteness that many would love to replicate for a cottage.

Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : A fan ponders some questions Headac10

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 am

I don't know really but i guess they wouldn't have been able to aford to live in a more huge house.But a biger house would have been good.I don't know if i could live in a small space with so many ppl.I'd gone nuts.LOL

Maybe they couldn't find anyone who could stand working with mrs olsen. Laughing

No idea.Ir been nice if they gotten married.

No idea but id rather have had carrie have a storelines then James and Cassandra.They could of gave the twins acting lessons.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Laura and Almanzo   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 am

Almanzo James Wilder (February 13, 1857 - October 23, 1949) was the husband of Laura Ingalls Wilder and father of Rose Wilder Lane, both noted U.S. writers.
Laura Elizabeth Ingalls Wilder (February 7, 1867 – February 10, 1957) was an American author who wrote the Little House series of books based on her childhood in a pioneer family.

Almanzo died at the age of 92, Laura died at the age of 90.

Her teaching career and her own studies ended when she married Almanzo Wilder, whom she called Manly, on August 25, 1885, when she was eighteen and he was twenty-eight.

Melissa and Dean
Melissa Ellen Gilbert (born May 8, 1964) is an American actress, writer, and producer, primarily in film and television.
Dean Butler was born May 20, 1956, in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada, is an American movie and television actor.

Dean and Melissa were wed on an espisode that aired Sept. 29, 1980. (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
She was sixteen, he was 24.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:10 am

i had no idea dean was Canadian. Smile So he was older then laura.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Carrie   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:51 am

This is a question that has been kicked around in this forum at least 100 times!

The acting parts that Carrie was given were perfect! She COULD NOT carry anything more and the writers knew it. Lets say that Carrie ran away instead of James in "Growin Pains".
Is anyone on this forum going to say that she could have pulled that off? Somebody explain to me why this question is asked over and over again.......outside of the resentment of some that Albert, James and Cassandra were there in the first place.

I don't get it!
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:21 pm

I understand what you're saying, David, but then why not either replace the actresses or find a way to improve their skills? I guess we won't know if either was ever discussed, but for fans who read Laura's books and saw how important Laura's relationship with Carrie was, it's a shame that it didn't get developed in the show for one reason or another.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : A fan ponders some questions Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Cheryl, do you know if the Greenbush girls have ever talked about their role on the show - about their acting skills, or whether they regretted not being given more to do?
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : A fan ponders some questions Purple2

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Below are interviews that Lennon, from Pairie Talk did....don't know if it will shed any light.

A fan ponders some questions Carrie4 Lindsay Greenbush (Carrie) Exclusive Interview!

PrairieFans.com would like to take the time out to thank Lindsay Greenbush for this exclusive interview she gave us. Hope you all enjoy!

1. What was it like to be on Little House?

It was a lot of Fun, work, and a great experience.

2. Did you enjoy working with the cast and crew?

They were all very nice.

3. What was the atmosphere like on the Little House set?

I don't really remember I was to young to have noticed.

4. What, if any, affect did your role as Carrie Ingalls have on your career over the years?

I think if I ever went back into acting everyone would remember Carrie so it might give me a way in.

5.Who would you say on the set made the biggest impression on you personally?

That is hard to say.

6. Since there were so many Little House episodes, did it ever feel as though you were part of two REAL families?

Yes, you work with them so much through the years they do become like an extended family and very close friends.

7. Do you have a favorite episode?

I have several early ones that I like. The first ones are my favorites.

8. If there was a Little House Reunion, what do you think Carrie would be up to?

Carrie the historical character wrote a few books and then ended up living with Laura I think until Laura died.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A fan ponders some questions Carrie3 Sidney Greenbush (Carrie Ingalls) Exclusive Interview!

1. Wow, It's been 30 years now since Little House first aired on TV. What do you think of it's success after so many years? Would you have thought it would still be as popular today as it was many years ago?

Well, when any show reaches people while it is on the air, you hope that it will be remembered. I don't think anyone really knew the affect LHOTP would have had on people. Looking back I can see that it was one of the only shows that was geared towards kids and adults. Today we have special shows just for kids and TV channels just for children's programming. I think the networks overlook this audience level for a long time and this is why we have a lot of young stars today but we didn't back then.

2. Today, we have a lot of children who want to become actresses and actors. How did you get started and what type of advice could you give to future child stars?

We got started by luck. Although I don't think I would tell anyone to start as young as we did. The best advice I can give is if you love it keep trying. If you don't get the job it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with you personally. I have lost jobs because I was too Tall or too old, or I didn't look like another sibling.

3. You have a twin sister, Lindsay Greenbush who you both shared the role of Carrie Ingalls with. As a twin, are you both different? Do you have anything in common?

We have some things in common because we grew up together but we also have a lot of different interest. It nothing different than normal siblings would have that were close in age.

4. What, if any, affect did your role as Carrie Ingalls have on your career over the years? Are you still associated with or recognized from being on the show?

I think being Carrie might have stereotyped us a little after the show was over. I remember in an acting class doing a scene from a play called Laundry and Bourbon. Everyone was amazed because it had a comedy side and it was so different from LHOTP. I was always at home on the stage. People don't recognize us right off but after they find out we played Carrie they say we look just like we did back then.

5. Who would you say on the set made the biggest impression on you personally?

I don't really know if there was one person. Everyone was soo nice to us and used to take time out to play with us. I remember that we used to see other star around the Paramount Lot and I remember think "OHHH That's Robin Williams" or something like that. I remember the filmed Happy Days at that time a Paramount and Henry Winkler used to always stop to say hello. Later we got to bug Jonnie Cash when he was on the show. When we were in New York doing Kids are People Too we were tickled to death by Bill Murray. I think everyone always being nice to us made me always want to be nice to others.

6. You probably get asked this a lot, but what was Michael Landon and Victor French like while growing up?

It is sad to say I do not remember Michael very well but then of course he was busy running the show. I do remember Victor French always taking time to play with us kids. He seemed to have an endless amount of time for us.

7. Since there were so many Little House episodes, did it ever feel as though you were part of two REAL families?

It never seemed like we were part of two families but it seemed like we had a lot of uncles and aunts.

8. Do you have a favorite episode?

The Godsister.

9. You and your sister Lindsay, got invited to the White House to meet President Carter and his daughter. What was that like? How was President Carter and his family?

When we went to Washington we actually didn't get to meet Mr. or Mrs. Carter. We only met Amy but she was really sweet and kinda quite. I think it must be hard to be the presidents daughter at 10 years old but she seemed to handle the press just fine. After we got to see the Lighting of the Christmas tree and I remember I was freezing and couldn't wait to go back inside.

10. I've heard you are working on a children's book? Could you tell us a little about it and when it might be available for purchase?

The first book I am working on isn't a children's book it is a coffee table book. It will be pictures of us growing up on the set of LHOTP. A lot of behind the scenes stuff. I hope to have it done in a few months. It will be available through our website (www.greenbushtwins.com) first and we will probably do some tours and book signings to promote it. It will also have pictures of my family and things they have done.

Thanks for taking the time to be interviewed for prairiefans.com!

Webmasters Note: Interview was done on March 10, 2004.

A fan ponders some questions Rhonda10A fan ponders some questions Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : A fan ponders some questions Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Cheryl, I loved your answers! A fan ponders some questions 135245

bethandmanly wrote:
[b]When did Charles and Caroline find the time to produce more children? Not only did they lack bedroom doors - Carrie slept in the same room!

They are very inventive or quiet.

Hey, there's always the loft in the barn! A fan ponders some questions 440956

littlehouselover wrote:
I always wondered this also, they were well suited, but "Joe" did do another show later.
I met him once and he seemed like he didn't want to talk about LHOP as much as the other which is understandable.

I always wondered about this too...I never knew that "Joe" had another show. I guess that explains it then!

Praire Girl wrote:
[b]That and coffee were the last to go when money was tight. I wonder if they sold the dishes he got from Widow Thurmon for a "rainy day" supply.

A fan ponders some questions 135245 All I can say is that I may not have two nickles to rub together but I will somehow make sure I have my coffee. A fan ponders some questions 771460 Something tells me Charles felt the same way about his tobacco. A fan ponders some questions 440956

sweetkrissy2011 wrote:
[b]Why were Caroline and Hester Sue responsible for running every shift at the restaurant? Couldn’t Mrs. Oleson find someone for the breakfast rush?

Maybe they couldn't find anyone who could stand working with mrs olsen. A fan ponders some questions 135245

Good point Krissy! A fan ponders some questions 135245

Davetucson wrote:

Dean and Melissa were wed on an espisode that aired Sept. 29, 1980. (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
She was sixteen, he was 24.

Yes, and I always figured that the 'show' was trying to make the 'character' of Almanzo the same as Dean's age, rather than the real life age/10 year difference of the 'real' Almanzo. I think that was smart of them too...seemed more believable to think that he really was only about 23 or so. I know it 'happened' back then, but it was easier for our modern day brains to comprehend, I think.

Davetucson wrote:

This is a question that has been kicked around in this forum at least 100 times!

The acting parts that Carrie was given were perfect! She COULD NOT carry anything more and the writers knew it. Lets say that Carrie ran away instead of James in "Growin Pains".
Is anyone on this forum going to say that she could have pulled that off? Somebody explain to me why this question is asked over and over again.......outside of the resentment of some that Albert, James and Cassandra were there in the first place.

I don't get it!

LOL, I've never seen anyone dispute that she was an awful actress...thank GOD they spared us! A fan ponders some questions 279394 One word....ALYSSAAAAAAAAAAa A fan ponders some questions 384436 A fan ponders some questions 135245
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Carrie   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 3:32 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
I understand what you're saying, David, but then why not either replace the actresses or find a way to improve their skills? I guess we won't know if either was ever discussed, but for fans who read Laura's books and saw how important Laura's relationship with Carrie was, it's a shame that it didn't get developed in the show for one reason or another.

I agree with you because I've read them and she was an integral part of Laura's life. She should have been replaced, and of course, if she would have been, there would 100 discussions about that.
My point is, and this is not aimed at you, that the nitpicking that goes on about Little House really gets to me sometimes. We sit back and criticize a guy that put NINE of successfull television seasons on the air that communicated nothing but Love, Family Values and Honesty. And all the while was being made fun of for it. Dean Butler himself wouldn't even tell his friends he watched it before he got the part in the show.

Michael wanted an equal balance of male and female stories. He achieved it.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Davetucson wrote:
bethandmanly wrote:

I agree with you because I've read them and she was an integral part of Laura's life. She should have been replaced, and of course, if she would have been, there would 100 discussions about that.
My point is, and this is not aimed at you, that the nitpicking that goes on about Little House really gets to me sometimes. We sit back and criticize a guy that put NINE of successfull television seasons on the air that communicated nothing but Love, Family Values and Honesty. And all the while was being made fun of for it. Dean Butler himself wouldn't even tell his friends he watched it before he got the part in the show.

Michael wanted an equal balance of male and female stories. He achieved it.

I see what you're saying. I think it's okay to nitpick from time to time. Maybe it's because I'm a writer by trade. I don't think it means we love the show any less; only that over time we've taken off our rose-colored glasses and realized the show had inconsistencies and areas we wish were developed or not developed. That doesn't distract from how wonderful the show was and how successful it remains. When I think about all the trash that is on TV now, I long for LHOP and Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman again.

Amy wrote:
littlehouselover wrote:
I met him once and he seemed like he didn't want to talk about LHOP as much as the other which is understandable.[b]

I always wondered about this too...I never knew that "Joe" had another show. I guess that explains it then!

Moses Gunn was on Father Murphy along with Merlin Olsen and Dean Butler's future wife, Katherine Cannon.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:13 pm

"I see what you're saying. I think it's okay to nitpick from time to time. Maybe it's because I'm a writer by trade. I don't think it means we love the show any less; only that over time we've taken off our rose-colored glasses and realized the show had inconsistencies and areas we wish were developed or not developed. That doesn't distract from how wonderful the show was and how successful it remains. When I think about all the trash that is on TV now, I long for LHOP and Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman again."
I know you love it as much as I do. As you probably know, I lost my only son when he was six, and the older I get, and the closer I get to my Maker, the more I love what Michael put on the air. It got me through some very difficult times. Im especially close to the relationship he had with Albert because of the obvious. I know he wasn't in the books, but what the character meant to me is hard to explain. We are all just very fortunate that we can still watch it on TV and DVD's. This is a great bunch of people on here, because they all share the same love for the show, and they have every right to discuss the show's inconsistencies. But with all it's flaws, there will never be another one like it............ Smile
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Quote :
]quote]I always wondered about this too...I never knew that "Joe" had another show. I guess that explains it then!
Yes, Father Murphy was on from 1981 to 1983 so a slight overlap.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Murphy

I think because he was starring in Father Murphy, he was more interested in that..he didn't seem to want to talk about LHOP, but I didn't pry as to why.

My only beef with Carrie was that it was so obvious that weren't making her speak...I'm not talking about a conversation, a show about her,but words. My daughter who is in college, hasn't watched it much in years, and the other day watched 4 episodes with me (later ones) She asked me how old Carrie was because everyone aged but her, and her dialogue was infantile. she still was like 6 years old. In most of the episodes,she never spoke, was situated behind her siblings when standing in a group, she is never called on in school, walking to school, she's silent...it's odd. It doesn't effect the show, but it's noticeable.

I think it's fun at times to find these quirks...Michael probably would laugh about some if he had the chance to address it.
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:36 pm

Quote :
That and coffee were the last to go when money was tight. I wonder if they sold the dishes he got from Widow Thurmon for a "rainy day" supply. :P

Yes, Ma never got her dishes or her hutch...but Pa always had his tobacco. : )

At work once, a lot of LHOP fans (some I'd NEVER guess) were laughing about what they loved and the inconsistencies...like a family, you love and dislike things and I suggested back then, without computers, and it being on only once a week, you didn't notice a lot, you didn't have time. My mother noticed things toward the end, but it was getting tired and maybe more sloppy in writing, but overall, many bloopers are caught when re-watching.
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 9:09 am

Judging by their interviews, Carrie's character might have been able to be developed more if they had dumped Lindsay and just let Sidney play her.

A fan ponders some questions Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 12:57 am

bethandmanly wrote:

Yes. I agree. And I think they could gave improved their acting skills.

I, for one, really likes Albert being in the show (even if as a wrier I probably didn't include his character in the show, because he wasn't historic) and I can accept James and Cassandra. But I wish they could have developped Carrie's character to make all the Ingalls children (adopted and not adopted), interacting together. I'm also a little upset that they got Mary our of the show. I must admit it... grinsmiley

Vanesa.

A fan ponders some questions Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Praire Girl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 5:35 am

It doesn't really matter now but I never saw the need to add James and Cassandra. Albert was still young enough and they could have had guest stars for him to interact with or develop Willie's friendship with him.
To have another 2 children in an already cramped home and kill off 2 parents that way seemed more of a ratings booster for a week. James didn't add or delete from the show and although Cassandra was adorable, she became "Carrie" and Grace was still small. (although you could tell she would be a little spit-fire later)
Back to top Go down
Praire Girl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 6:37 am

I guess in an interview, the twins thought the same as others. You don't need many words, just be part of the family:

If you could have decided a storyline for Carrie, is there anything in particular you would have liked her to do?
Just to be more involved with my sisters and everyday family life. They make it look like Carrie wasn't really close with her sisters and Laura never takes her fishing or riding. I grew up on a ranch till I was 7 and sometimes the only people to play with are your Siblings.
[b]
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 7:14 am

She also said in an interview she was embarrassed when they had her wet her pants at such an advanced age but she didn't really have a say.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:44 am

Yeah,I know what's done is done.I ust think it been better of they gave the twins acting lessons or just got a new actress.They done it on road to avonlea.Tho ppl didn't like they changed the persons role.

I do understand what you mean tho,

If they ever do a re-make of this show.LEt's hope carrie would get a better role. Smile

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : A fan ponders some questions Purple2

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 9:40 am

Poor thing....Here are topics about Carrie......I hope everyone tries to be nice, because you may not know this, but some of the actors actually lurk around on forums such as this and I would hate for the Greenbush twins to read such things.....just saying.....

Carrie

What happened to Carrie

Thank you Carrie Ingalls for whatever it is you just said

A fan ponders some questions Rhonda10A fan ponders some questions Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Lurking Around   A fan ponders some questions EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 10:15 am

[quote="Rhonda"]Poor thing....Here are topics about Carrie......I hope everyone tries to be nice, because you may not know this, but some of the actors actually lurk around on forums such as this and I would hate for the Greenbush twins to read such things.....just saying.....

If anyone is going to do any lurking I wish Jonathon Gilbert would and let us know he is still alive!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A fan ponders some questions   A fan ponders some questions Empty

Back to top Go down

A fan ponders some questions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next