Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY

Go down 
+6
Muriel88
Krissy
Rob
Debbie
Rhonda
LIWnut
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Cloud910

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Empty
PostSubject: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 3:31 pm

I am sorry that this was not posted on this site anywhere beforehand but perhaps some of you knew about it.  Last Saturday I travelled to the James Wilder property near Malone, NY to attend the dedication of a red, one room schoolhouse that has been built on the property in honour of Laura Ingalls Wilder, Eliza Jane Wilder and teacher everywhere.  The following is a write up for another group that I belong to.  I will include pictures as well below.  Enjoy!

It was a wonderful day. We arrived before 4pm on Friday night and went to the
farm. It's amazing getting your first glimpse of a place that you have only
read about and dream to visit. We met up with John, Sue and Misty. We crossed
the street and headed to the Trout River, such a pretty spot. We then went on
to find the schoolhouse where Almanzo attended school. It had recently fallen
down.
My family and I left the others and went to explore the town of Malone. We took
pictures at the fair grounds and the town square.
The next day we arrived early to get in the lines before they got too long. I
went into the bookstore to buy Bill Anderson's new book about Walnut Grove. We
had a few minutes so we decided to tour the house but we only got the main floor
done before we had to get to the autograph line. Thankfully we were at the
front of which became likely a 3 or 4 hr line. We learned later than there were
2000 paid visitors and I think they all were in that autograph line!! Lucy Lee
was very sweet and it was a really nice moment that we shared together. Then I
got to Dean and he knew me, very sweet. I reminded him of my name but he knew.
We chatted about next year's 40th Anniversary events. He told me that he would
be in WG. When I mentioned Green Bay, he said that they would have to
reschedule if any LHOP cast members would attend. He shrugged his shoulders and
gave me the impression that if it could be rescheduled then he could do both.
He told Diva Sue that he had agreed to attend WG, all he had to do was sign the
contract.
Next I got to chat with my good friend Bill Anderson as he signed my new book.
He and I have had some one on one chats and so it was really good to see him
again. We didn't chat for long due to the line but it was amazing to see him
again.
We went back to see the upper floor of the house and the barns. the only
original Wilder owned item in the house is a coverlet on the parents bed. It
was given to the Wilder farm from Mansfield and had been cut in half, the other
half remains in Mansfield. There are also towels that belonged to Rose. The
floor boards in the boys' room are the same that Almanzo walked on and in the
girls' room Mother Wilder's loom is set up between the beds.
The barns are enormous and there are stalls for every animal. I can now picture
where each farm animal rested each night. The only missing building was the ice
house.
The crowd began to gather under the tent shelters for the ceremony so we made
our way there too. It was fun to chat with the others around and hear stories
and talk about Laura and Almanzo. Many people didn't know much about them so it
was fun to answer their questions. All 3 special guests spoke at the dedication
ceremony for the new one room schoolhouse that was lovingly built in honour of
Laura and Eliza Jane and teachers everywhere. Dean and Bill have been there
multiple times but this was Lucy's first visit to the farm, her first visit to
the state of NY since age 19. Dean told how his life has been forever changed,
for the absolute good, since being hired to play Almanzo. It was sweet.
There was a tree planting ceremony in honour of the schoolchildren who had
donated and the school tours that helped fund the new building. Honourary
Almanzo and Laura helped in the planting with Dean, Lucy and Bill adding a
shovelful to set the tree. Then they all moved to the door of the school for a
ribbon cutting ceremony. Lucy cut the ribbon in honour of Eliza Jane, very
touching. The new school was beautiful. The building itself is complete but
they need more time to fill the room with desks.
After the ceremony Dean was standing outside and I asked him for a picture. He
was really supposed to be somewhere but he took the time for me. What a great
guy. Unfortunately this pic is on my brother's camera and I have to wait for
him to give it to me. I'll share it as soon as I can, promise.
We prepared to leave and said our goodbyes to John, Sue, Misty and the others
whom we I knew from Laurapalooza. We had a 6 hr drive ahead so we had to get
moving. It was a wonderful weekend.

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY MarilynKeeper wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

Mood : wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 3:39 pm

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY 000_0010

The Trout River where Almanzo loved to fish is located directly across the street from the house. It is such a pretty place and was one of the spots that I wanted to head to first to get pictures of.

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY 100_3510

Meeting Lucy Lee Flippin was a very special moment. I have now met 12 LHOP cast members.

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY MarilynKeeper wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 3:48 pm

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY 100_3512

I have met Dean Butler four times now.  He recognized me as one of Dean's Divas but I reminded him of my name so he didn't have to guess.

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Ribbon10

Lucy cut the ribbon in honour of Eliza Jane Wilder.  I think she really enjoyed her first time at the REAL Wilder farm.  It was my first visit there too and I had a blast!!

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY 100_3610

LIW biographer and expert William Anderson helps to plant a tree in honour of the schoolchildren who donated money for the schoolhouse and for those who have visited the farm with their school classes.

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Purple2

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Thanks for posting your experience at The Wilder Property Marilyn. How fun that must've been! Thumbsup 

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Rhonda10wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Xmassm4

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks for posting, Marilyn. Lucy Lee Flippin looks amazing.Smile 
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Doesn't she though?  She and Dean are aging very well!

Great post, Marilyn!  Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Headac10

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:15 pm

oh very nice.Smile 

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Mood : wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Marilyn, which 12 cast members have you met?  That's impressive!
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 12:11 am

I got more pics from my brother. Will post them Wed afternoon.

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Rob wrote:
Marilyn, which 12 cast members have you met?  That's impressive!
Dean Butler, 4 times
Alison Arngrim 2 times
Karen Grassle
Hersha Parady
Patrick Labrateux
Lindsay Greenbush
Sidney Greenbush
Wendi Turnbaugh
Brenda Turnbaugh
Charlotte Stewart 2 times
Melissa Sue Anderson
Lucy Lee Flippin

And I was about 10 feet from Melissa Gilbert when she was in the musical in Toronto. I was in one of the front rows.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 2:24 pm

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY School10

What a beautiful building.

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY School11

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 2:27 pm

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Inside10

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY 100_3611

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 2:33 pm

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Dedica10

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Dean_a10

My favourite picture of all.

Back to top Go down
Muriel88
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Muriel88

Number of posts : 75
Mood : wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 12:00 am

Someone I know has written a beautiful piece about the Wilder Farm for The Cottonwood Tree!  

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, Marilyn.

http://thecottonwoodtree.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/playing-farmer-boy-at-school-dedication-malone-ny/

Last edited by Muriel88 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 8:00 am

These are awesome. So glad you got to go Marilyn. Dean and Lucy look amazing. I am so glad they are people that seem to embrace the rolls they played in LH.
One day I will get up there, and I wonder how big that little tree will be by then??

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 8:58 am

Beautiful, Marilyn!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks for sharing Marilyn's article with us, Muriel!  Marilyn, wonderful article and pictures!  I can tell that this trip meant a great deal to you!  Gin, like you, I am so pleased that Dean has made his Almanzo connection a part of his life.  I appreciate any of the cast that has embraced their characters to the extent of bringing awareness to the history.

I love the red schoolhouse, especially that they painted it authentically with either milk paint or chalk paint that would have been available at the time. Looks so cool!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Happy010

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 10:12 am

Oh, this is so interesting! Thank you for sharing your trip with us, Marilyn - and Muriel, thank you for bringing Marilyn's article to our attention!

I love it that Dean is involved in keeping the real-life history of the Little House books alive, too! He seems like quite a nice, decent man. yes
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 2:40 pm

It was such a wonderful day and YIS, it is really amazing that Dean, Lucy and many of the other cast members are helping to keep Laura's legacy alive by attending reunions and visiting heritage sites.  Dean in particular has worked so hard to do this by putting out documentaries about both Almanzo and Laura.  It was funny, at the dedication of the schoolhouse he stated that his tombstone will still link him to Almanzo.  We all laughed but he said that to him, that would be awesome.  What a great guy.

You can watch the dedication ceremony here.

Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 4:35 pm

I think it was awesome that Lucy got to cut the ribbon. I agree though, they needed to ring a bell!

wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 7:11 pm

LIWnut wrote:
It was funny, at the dedication of the schoolhouse he stated that his tombstone will still link him to Almanzo.  We all laughed but he said that to him, that would be awesome.  What a great guy.

Laughing I'll bet he's right!  And that really is very sweet.loveheart 

Gin wrote:
    I think it was awesome that Lucy got to cut the ribbon.  I agree though, they needed to ring a bell!
Indeed!Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 7:20 pm

I watched the dedication and noticed they pronounced "Almanzo" differently than they did on the show. Al-MAN-zo here, and Al-MON-zo on TV. I'm guessing that means it was MAN in real life. I wonder why they changed it for the show.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Happy010

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 7:27 pm

The real-life Laura, in a recording, pronounced it Al-MAN-zo. I wondered why they changed it for the show, too.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Al-MON-zo is a bit more pleasing to the ear.  But gee, the show was so true to history in every other sense. Whistle

Last edited by Rob on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY   wilder - One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY Empty

Back to top Go down

One Room Schoolhouse Dedicated on Wilder Property, Malone NY
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next