Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"SOLDIER'S RETURN"

Go down 
+16
Davetucson
littlehouselover
ChristineLovesLHOTP
littlehousefan200
Honeybee
amyk
Krissy
ChristinaAL
Rhonda
Lori
Prairie Dweller
Vanesa
Trixie
JW
bethandmanly
Carol
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : "SOLDIER'S RETURN" Happy010

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 12:28 am

"SOLDIER'S RETURN"
"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Gold1

The son of Mrs. Whipple returns to Walnut Grove after serving in the Civil War. To forget his painful past, he takes morphine. His addiction to this eventually ends up killing him.

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Soldier1

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Soldier2

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Soldier3

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Bugle

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Soldier4

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Soldier5

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Soldier6

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Report2 This was an interesting episode. Mrs. Whipple is so sweet... it was sad to see how her son's problem affected her... she wanted so much to help him.

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Horses10

Last edited by Carol on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : "SOLDIER'S RETURN" Bokmal10

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 11:44 am

I can't watch this episode. Seeing him by the tree towards the end and knowing he's dead is just too disturbing. A good message, just hard to watch.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 5:45 pm

I don't remember Granville grabbing Roy, Jr. by the arms like that. Could it be that TBS deleted a scene to make room for the commercials ? No, they would never do that (hah hah!).
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : "SOLDIER'S RETURN" Happy011

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 6:33 pm

I Don't like this Episode Very Much

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Jacobk10"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Trixie
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Trixie

Number of posts : 425
Mood : "SOLDIER'S RETURN" Confus10

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 7:51 pm

I didn't like it...maybe because I didn't have sound.
But it did seem very..sad.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 4:50 pm

I do like it. But it is so sad that it hurst me every time I watch it. Miss Whipple is a so lovely old lady that it makes me sad to see her to lost her only son. Blue

Vanesa.

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Vanesa10
Back to top Go down

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 5:22 pm

JW wrote:
I Don't like this Episode Very Much
JW- I've noticed you've made general comments like this about a couple episodes. Can you try to explain why you feel a certain way about a particular episode? What did you like or not like about it?
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853
Mood : "SOLDIER'S RETURN" Happy010

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 6:34 pm

I liked it that they gave Mrs. Whipple a slightly different role in this episode. It was nice learning more about her.

I never look forward to watching this episode as it's not all that uplifting.

Pa: "What are you learning about in history?"
Laura: "The same thing: dead people."

I had to laugh when Charles and Grenville are playing the violin and banjo. Charles is holding the violin *so* low. That would make it difficult to play!
I'm also amused that when the cameras zoom out that Charles's violin mysteriously has moved up a great deal!

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 11:01 am

I never did think ML's fiddle "playing" was convincing.

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Lorike10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Lori wrote:
I never did think ML's fiddle "playing" was convincing.

Me neither, but Isaiah's harmonica playing wasn't much better. You know who did look convincing was Doc Baker on his accordian.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Hahaha....Yes! It's noticeable that Michael Landon doesn't play the fiddle in real life. It's just the same for Isaiah... Laughing

But Doc Baker looks very believable in his accordion performance. Could he play it in real life? scratchead

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : "SOLDIER'S RETURN" Purple2

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 12:34 pm

Holding the fiddle way low is a Cajun thing......if you ever see any Cajun entertainers, you will see them holding it low....almost to their stomachs.......
Watch Doug Kershaw singing "Diggy Liggy Lo"
Huh?

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Rhonda10"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 11:53 pm

I have a hard time with this episode, too. I wonder what it was like for the younger actors (specially, MSA), working this this kind of story. Does anyone know if she's ever talked about it? I read her book, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment as to whether or not she mentioned it there.

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" ChristinaKeeper2 "SOLDIER'S RETURN" 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 12:12 am

Rhonda wrote:
Holding the fiddle way low is a Cajun thing......if you ever see any Cajun entertainers, you will see them holding it low....almost to their stomachs.......
Watch Doug Kershaw singing "Diggy Liggy Lo"
Huh?

Yeah. but Charles was suposed to be a real "Yankee", so he couldn't play the fiddle in the Cajun way... HeeHee

P.S: Love "Diggy, Liggy Lo" Wink

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : "SOLDIER'S RETURN" Headac10

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 11:09 am

I don't really like this Episode. Just too sad..

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 540

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:55 pm

It is hard to say that this is an episode that I really like, but in a way I do really like it. By that I mean that it is a very moving episode (I was crying at the end) and a very powerful episode, but because it is so heavy it is not one that I think we necessarily should really "like" - I think it is one that we should be touched by, though, and for me it really does that. In my opinion, this is a much better episode about drug addiction than Albert's morphine addiction. It is about so much more than just Granville's drug addiction. And it is really a surprising episode for a LHOTP episode, to me. It seemed that once Granville admitted his cowardice to Mrs. Whipple that everything really would turn out okay, he would go and talk about everything with Roy, Jr. and his ma, he would beat the morphine addiction, etc. So it is shocking to find out what happened to him, but I think that makes the point so much better than if everything just turned out all rosy. I really love Granville's funeral, too, with Revd. Alden commenting that Granville was searching for God's peace all these years, etc. It is just so sad that he could not find that peace.
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 9:36 am

I re-watched this episode this afternoon. I also think it is supposed to be a story about the Vietnam veterans in the USA in the 1970's and not just about a Civil War veteran. I guess it can apply to anyone who has been involved in a war. So sad but really an excellent episode.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 11:47 pm

amyk wrote:
I re-watched this episode this afternoon. I also think it is supposed to be a story about the Vietnam veterans in the USA in the 1970's and not just about a Civil War veteran. I guess it can apply to anyone who has been involved in a war. So sad but really an excellent episode.

You've made the point. I think that Michael Landon thought of all people who is involved in a war. This was my fist idea about this episode when I watched it for the first time.

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 12:41 am

I also liked that Mrs. Whipple got a big part in this episode. She was such a cute little old lady and I thought she was a good actress, too. It would have been nice to see her under happier circumstances in a later episode.
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 11:13 pm

This was ok, episode. I didn't know, the guy from Empty Nest was guest on LOTHP.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 am

Ya,That's him. It was a good esp to do.It's just not one you can watch over and over again ya know.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
littlehousefan200
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
littlehousefan200

Number of posts : 6161
Mood : "SOLDIER'S RETURN" Confus10

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 7:34 pm

I've never been able to watch this episode all the way through, too scary and a little depressing. For some reason I can watch Home Again but not this one, probably because Albert lives and I know Granville Whipple doesn't in this episode.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 7:37 pm

littlehousefan200 wrote:
I've never been able to watch this episode all the way through, too scary and a little depressing. For some reason I can watch Home Again but not this one, probably because Albert lives and I know Granville Whipple doesn't in this episode.

yes,It's very depressing.

Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 2:03 pm

But I actually feel like this one affects me more than HOME AGAIN and really shows a big reality about drug abuse and how it is not always so easy to just "kick the habit". I really think this is a powerful episode and I therefore really like it even if it may be depressing.
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : "SOLDIER'S RETURN" Goodsi10

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Not my favorite episode....but the addiction after Civil Wartime was true. Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SOLDIER'S RETURN"   "SOLDIER'S RETURN" Empty

Back to top Go down

"SOLDIER'S RETURN"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next