Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"SURVIVAL"

Go down 
+13
LauraIngallsfan
Shell
littlehouselover
Ruth
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Vanesa
bethandmanly
amyk
Krissy
Kristina
ChristinaAL
JW
Carol
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : "SURVIVAL" Happy010

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyThu Mar 01, 2007 12:30 am

“Survival”

"SURVIVAL" Yelshort

The Ingalls have to seek shelter when a blizzard hits. There they meet an Indian who helps them out. A marshal, looking for the Indian, comes by and arrests him. Charles helps the Indian escape. Later the Indian comes by again and brings food to the Ingalls. The marshal sees the Indian and shoots him. When the marshall realizes what the Indian was doing, he regrets his previous behavior toward the Indian.

"SURVIVAL" Survival1

"SURVIVAL" Survival2

"SURVIVAL" Survival3

"SURVIVAL" Catcherbright

"SURVIVAL" Survival4

"SURVIVAL" Survival5

"SURVIVAL" Survival6

"SURVIVAL" Report Not a favorite but still liked it. Good example of how some people carry so much hatred towards another race.

There was one scene here where Charles was about to shoot the horse for food… affraid man, I’m go glad the man got there in time!

"SURVIVAL" Horses10
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : "SURVIVAL" Happy011

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyMon Mar 05, 2007 3:31 pm

I really Like this episode

"SURVIVAL" Jacobk10"SURVIVAL" Jacob210
Back to top Go down

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyMon Mar 05, 2007 3:36 pm

me also I like,
a question is that that his/her/its indeed
was turned in the blizzard?
Back to top Go down

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyThu Mar 08, 2007 7:55 pm

I wouldn't count this episode on my list of top 10, but I still enjoyed it. The Indian-hater dude was a real creep and I'm glad he finally came to his senses by the end of the episode. Wouldn't that have sucked to have had to eat your own horse!? Ick!

Well, there's my brilliant 2 cents on this episode.

Thanks for the cappages, Carol. They are loverly.
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyThu Mar 15, 2007 10:19 pm

Not really a fan of this one. The idea of being stuck in a blizzard like that...I don't know, it really scares me. But, it is a good message about what hatred can do to someone and I'm glad that guy finally came to his senses in the end.

"SURVIVAL" ChristinaKeeper2 "SURVIVAL" 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7863
Mood : "SURVIVAL" Bokmal10

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 9:56 am

I liked this episode. I was glad to see that the Indian brought the Ingalls family food so Charles wouldn't have to shoot one of his horses.
Back to top Go down

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 6:56 am

great episode ....i have watched this one a lot and always feel the apprehension of Ma as she tries to be happy and cheerful all the time worried about either Charles out in the Blizzard or how she will feed her children ...her calmness is as loving as a hug....when she decides her children have heard enough about the massacre she is still calm while direct in her meaning to the sheriff
Back to top Go down

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Carrie is so cute when she touches her head because: "Ma said so!!" batEyes
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : "SURVIVAL" Headac10

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 12:58 pm

not my favorited esp

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 540

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 3:55 pm

This episode seemed to move slowly to me, but I think it made some good points. I think the family should have not eaten everything they had with them so quickly and should initially have tried to space out their meals more....and then just because they finished the soup, Charles was immediately going to kill the horse for food? I just think they should have made it seem like at least a couple of days passed without food before going to such drastic measures.

However, I think the episode did a good job in tackling the subject of racism and some of the negative aspects of American history. I'm glad Mr. Lame Horse survived in the end, but I still feel kind of sorry for him, wondering what kind of life he would lead with all of his people apparently dead. Kind of a sadder episode to me.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 7:22 pm

I always liked this episode. It depicted issues that were relevent to the times. While it is a sad episode, how the Indians were treated is a sad time in our history and needs to be remembered.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 12:22 am

I like this episode, but it is not one of my favorites. One of the reasons is that it seems to belong more to "Bonanza" than to "Little House on the Prairie".

Still, it is a very good episode.

Vanesa.

"SURVIVAL" Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : "SURVIVAL" Goodsi10

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 11:26 pm

ok..............

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
Ruth
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ruth

Number of posts : 2916
Mood : "SURVIVAL" Pbucket

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 2:08 am

I sort of liked this one...Great that Charles helped the Indian escape.

Leaves "SURVIVAL" RuthKeeper Leaves
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 8:53 am

Mr. Landon had quite a few Indian stories in his shows..he constantly tried to show racism, anti-Semitic actions, etc. were wrong. Maybe some will think they were too sugar-coated or heavy-handed, others might just see themselves and think about changing.

I liked this show because it showed how tough it could be in the winter and didn't have it be an easy fix.
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : "SURVIVAL" Purple2

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 3:18 pm

I watched Survival last night. I like the episode. I just don't like how the marshal hated the Indian and shot him. The Indian not only saved Charles' life, he brought them the deer Charles had shot to feed his family after Charles lost the deer. Makes you wonder who was looking after Jack while they were gone.
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
"SURVIVAL" MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyFri May 08, 2015 7:52 am

A very good episode.. it shows us again, how hard the times could be for the Ingalls. It also teaches a lesson about hatred towards another race... The poor Indian had never done anything besides being born, yet the Marshal was so intent to get him that he couldn't see that the Indian was not trying to harm anyone, but instead help them. He saved Charles life, and later, escaped and brought the deer that Charles had shot, so that they would all have food. He risked his life to bring the food, and almost lost it when the Marshal shot at him. I love how Charles handled the Marshal. After the Indian is better, and the blizzard stops, the Marshal's boys ride up. They ask him if he has seen the Indian, and he replies that no he hasn't, and that he isn't looking anymore. Perfect ending! Glad the Marshal came around in the end. Thumbsup

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"SURVIVAL" Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

Number of posts : 419

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyFri May 08, 2015 8:03 am

I watched this yesterday - thoroughly good episode.

The snow actually looked quite real. I'm always struck by how often episodes of LH are blessed with sunny weather - the reality of Southern Minnesota would be snow on the ground 5 months of the year.
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
"SURVIVAL" MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyFri May 08, 2015 8:06 am

Well, the show was shot at Big Sky Ranch in California, so I am guessing that is why they had so much sunny weather.

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"SURVIVAL" Laurai10
Back to top Go down
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyFri May 08, 2015 8:08 am

I know - it's a minor annoyance for me, but the weather was rarely realistic.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : "SURVIVAL" Goodsi10

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyFri May 08, 2015 8:09 am

MankatoJoe wrote:
The snow actually looked quite real. I'm always struck by how often episodes of LH are blessed with sunny weather - the reality of Southern Minnesota would be snow on the ground 5 months of the year.

Confirmed. I'm at roughly the same latitude as Walnut Grove (though two states to the east), and we have snow about five months out of the year.
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
"SURVIVAL" MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyFri May 08, 2015 8:18 am

Right, they could only do so much to make everything perfect.. It doesn't bother me too much. My question is was it really cold when they shot this episode, or how else did they make it so you could see the horse's breath? It seemed it was just the horses that you could see the breath, none of the people...

"SURVIVAL" Screen13

"SURVIVAL" Laurai10
Back to top Go down
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyFri May 08, 2015 8:35 am

Hey - I noticed the horses' breath, too. I think it was cold, probably in the Winter high up in California.
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
"SURVIVAL" MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyFri May 08, 2015 10:06 am

I just think it is strange that you never see the breath from any of the people... Both Charles and the Indian were out in some extreme cold, and you couldn't see their breath at all!

"SURVIVAL" Laurai10
Back to top Go down
Toby
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Toby

Number of posts : 239

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" EmptyFri May 08, 2015 4:58 pm

LauraIngallsfan wrote:
Right, they could only do so much to make everything perfect.. It doesn't bother me too much. My question is was it really cold when they shot this episode, or how else did they make it so you could see the horse's breath? It seemed it was just the horses that you could see the breath, none of the people...

"SURVIVAL" Screen13

The location scenes in this episode were shot in Tuolumne, California in November 1974. Tuolumne averages lows in the 40s in November. I don't know if 40 is low enough to see your breath, but it's possible it was colder than average when they shot the episode. I noticed that in many of the shots where you can see the horse's breath, there were only far away shots of Charles and Caroline on the wagon and it was probably their stunt doubles on the wagon. By the time they shot the closeups, it may not have been cold enough to see their breath. If you notice it often cuts from the horses to a closeup of Charles and Caroline where you can't see the horses, and then back to the horses.

I've also read that many of the winter scenes in Little House were filmed on a sound stage, although I don't know if the closeups of Caroline and Charles on the wagon were. Little House usually shows wide shots of the landscape, so the tight shots with very little camera movement in the winter episodes were probably the ones that were shot on a sound stage.
Back to top Go down
https://littlehousebluray.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

"SURVIVAL" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "SURVIVAL"   "SURVIVAL" Empty

Back to top Go down

"SURVIVAL"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next