Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Wilder Life - A new book

Go down 
+8
ChristinaAL
Vanesa
alexczarn
Gin
LIWnut
bethandmanly
JW
MissOleson
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book Indiff10

The Wilder Life - A new book Empty
PostSubject: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 6:07 pm

[img]The Wilder Life - A new book Thewilderlife[/img]

The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie by Wendy McClure

For anyone who has ever wanted to step into the world of a favorite book, here is a pioneer pilgrimage, a tribute to Laura Ingalls Wilder, and a hilarious account of butter-churning obsession.

Wendy McClure is on a quest to find the world of beloved Little House on the Prairie author Laura Ingalls Wilder-a fantastic realm of fiction, history, and places she's never been to, yet somehow knows by heart. She retraces the pioneer journey of the Ingalls family- looking for the Big Woods among the medium trees in Wisconsin, wading in Plum Creek, and enduring a prairie hailstorm in South Dakota. She immerses herself in all things Little House, and explores the story from fact to fiction, and from the TV shows to the annual summer pageants in Laura's hometowns. Whether she's churning butter in her apartment or sitting in a replica log cabin, McClure is always in pursuit of "the Laura experience." Along the way she comes to understand how Wilder's life and work have shaped our ideas about girlhood and the American West.

The Wilder Life is a loving, irreverent, spirited tribute to a series of books that have inspired generations of American women. It is also an incredibly funny first-person account of obsessive reading, and a story about what happens when we reconnect with our childhood touchstones-and find that our old love has only deepened.

Release date is April 14, 2011.

Has anyone heard about this? I just found out about it the other day. I think it sounds pretty interesting. Quite honestly, this is the sort of thing I have always wanted to do. And by the description of the book, it is exactly what she did. I think it might be an interesting read. What do you think?

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book Happy011

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:33 pm

It Looks Intresting I Really want to Read this one once it comes out

The Wilder Life - A new book Jacobk10The Wilder Life - A new book Jacob210
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:52 pm

Hmmm...sounds like it might be a good book, but the irreverent part would make me a bit nervous. I wonder how irreverent it is.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 3:16 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
Hmmm...sounds like it might be a good book, but the irreverent part would make me a bit nervous. I wonder how irreverent it is.
I know. I was wondering the same thing.

Well, I would rather check it out from the library rather than buy it. So I am hoping that they will get it. So far it isn't in their system. But then again, April is still far enough away. So I think I won't check again until March.
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 5:14 pm

At Laurapalooza last July the author of this book read quite a long excerpt of her book. While it was interesting, I found her to be kind of long winded. As I was sitting there I remember thinking that this was not a book that I would be interested in reading. I can't remember exactly why I didn't like it. But now that time has passed, I might reconsider. I don't want to buy it tho, I'd read my friend Beth's copy next time I visit her. She will buy it, I'm sure. She thought that it was ok.

The Wilder Life - A new book MarilynKeeper The Wilder Life - A new book Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Well, I'm a sucker for all things related to Laura so I would probably get it. I'm like Cheryl though....I wonder how irreverent it is. Don't like folks making fun of Laura or things related to her legacy. In a way its our duty to read this...maybe?

The Wilder Life - A new book Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 4:11 pm

LIWnut wrote:
At Laurapalooza last July the author of this book read quite a long excerpt of her book. While it was interesting, I found her to be kind of long winded. As I was sitting there I remember thinking that this was not a book that I would be interested in reading. I can't remember exactly why I didn't like it. But now that time has passed, I might reconsider. I don't want to buy it tho, I'd read my friend Beth's copy next time I visit her. She will buy it, I'm sure. She thought that it was ok.
See, I really don't want to buy it either (I am hoping, really, if nothing else - if the library never gets it, it will be sold in stores and someone in my family will happen to see it and get it for me as a present!). Well, if you get a chance to read it before anyone else, be sure to let us know what you think!

Gin wrote:
Well, I'm a sucker for all things related to Laura so I would probably get it. I'm like Cheryl though....I wonder how irreverent it is. Don't like folks making fun of Laura or things related to her legacy. In a way its our duty to read this...maybe?
That is how I am. I am kind of sucked into anything connected to her and LH, but I don't like the negativity that people (especially a good amount of so-called fans) attach to things relating to her. I admit to getting very defensive.

One thing that makes me hesitant about this book is the description of the "big woods". In the description it says "looking for the Big Woods among the medium trees in Wisconsin". OK. I know that is the description of what she's written, but that makes me wonder what did she write?! Since I am from Wisconsin, I feel like I can say something about it but nobody else can. Kind of like if someone is picking on a family member. I can say whatever I want, but nobody else has a right to. Do you know what I mean? I know that the big woods aren't that big there. In fact, there are really no woods at all around the location of the home itself (it was a disappointment for me - although you still pass by quite a few trees to get there), but the whole area is probably different than it was when she was there. Also, I don't appreciate that statement. If she wants "big woods", there are plenty of places further north that is loaded with them!

Maybe I am crazy. That just bothered me and that is what makes me a little nervous about reading it. I really don't want to read anything negative about Laura OR Wisconsin!!
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book Happy010

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 5:08 pm

MissOleson wrote:
I really don't want to read anything negative about Laura OR Wisconsin!!

Neither do I, unless it's true...

The Wilder Life - A new book Alexke11
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 10:48 pm

I went ahead and pre-ordered it. I figure if it's really something I don't care for, I can always donate it to the library.

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 11:27 pm

bethandmanly wrote:

I share your opinion, Cheryl. scared

Vanesa.

The Wilder Life - A new book Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 1:35 am

Vanesa wrote:
bethandmanly wrote:

I share your opinion, Cheryl. scared

Vanesa.

It's possible it means more like humorous, but it's kind of hard to tell without seeing it first.

Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2757

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Gin wrote:

I agree, I'm interested just because it's a new book related to Laura. I will probably wait til it comes out, and check it out at Border's. If I skim through it and like it, I'll probably get it. You're right too, it is hard to tell what they mean by 'irrevant'; hopefully it does just mean humorous.

The Wilder Life - A new book ChristinaKeeper2 The Wilder Life - A new book 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 11:53 pm

Do you all remember the "Laura" books written by T.L.Tedrow? There are eight of them. They are fiction, but use Laura's character and family to build a story that is not true.
I had a hard time reading these at first, but ended up getting them all. The author was like many of us, just wanting the Ingalls/ Wilder stories to continue. BUT, there is I think a limit to what you can do.
If you haven't read these you could probably find them cheap. This was fiction, so I think in a way its easier to excuse something like these. But when someone toys with what we know as real about Laura it starts getting under our skin .
I'll probably wait til this is super cheap then get it....or I'll buy Cheryl's....lol.

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 2:10 am

I think you can find Tedrow's series--or at least some of the books--on Ebay. When I first bought them through Christian Book Distributors, I loved them, but that was probably 15 or more years ago, before I really knew much about Laura's real life. I wonder if my opinion would change if I read them now.

Back to top Go down
LHOTPraireGirl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
LHOTPraireGirl

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 4:32 pm

MissOleson wrote:
For anyone who has ever wanted to step into the world of a favorite book, here is a pioneer pilgrimage, a tribute to Laura Ingalls Wilder, and a hilarious account of butter-churning obsession.

Wendy McClure is on a quest to find the world of beloved Little House on the Prairie author Laura Ingalls Wilder-a fantastic realm of fiction, history, and places she's never been to, yet somehow knows by heart. [/i]

I am very excited about this. It sounds like it will be both an interesting and fun read. Since I've been a fan of both the books and Little House on the Prairie television show, I've wondered what it would be like to experience life in Laura's time.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 2:49 pm

I updated my blog with a survey asking if readers plan to buy a copy of this book. You can find this survey at http://lauralittlehouseontheprairie.blogspot.com/2011/02/new-survey-do-you-plan-to-buy-wilder.html

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 pm

Thanks for your advice, Cheryl!

Vanesa. Smile

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 3:04 pm

The publicist contacted me and asked me if I wanted to review this book, so I received my copy today. I'll let you know what I think when I get a chance to read it.

Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Hurry! I want to read it too. dancegirl

Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book Headac10

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 pm

have not seen this book
loooks instersting

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book Innoce10

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:47 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
The publicist contacted me and asked me if I wanted to review this book, so I received my copy today. I'll let you know what I think when I get a chance to read it.

?? And......whatch think?

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

The Wilder Life - A new book Pbucket
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:54 pm

I haven't even had time to do more than skim it. I have, no lie, at least 100 books in my TBR pile. I went through and started cleaning up my office today and rearranging my bookshelves.

I've heard of the author before, but haven't read any of her books. I opened the book to where she's talking about sugar candy, which I haven't successfully made yet, and she jokes about being pretty sure she could go outside with a bottle of Mrs. Butterworth's and come back with candy. I have to admit that made me chuckle.

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:55 pm

Well, if you read it and comments it to us, it could be just like we read the book along with you! greenS

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks for the review! I guess I will read it. I will probably be a little irritated at some of the things she might poke fun at, but I would still read it. I still don't know if I care to spend the money on it (I am really hoping that by some miracle this will pop up in a book sale - I go to a lot of those). I checked to see if the library will get it. Of course they will. In fact, they have it right now. BUT ON AUDIO!!! mad I would much rather read it than listen to it! So I will have to be patient and see if one of the libraries here will eventually get the actual book of it.

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book Empty

Back to top Go down

The Wilder Life - A new book
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next