Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)

Go down 
+9
Vanesa
LIWnut
jes9
ChristinaAL
charles ingalls
Gin
Misti
bethandmanly
Carol
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Happy010

reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Empty
PostSubject: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 6:46 pm

Yes, it's here... Type
Several of you remember 'The Continuing Story' where a lot of us participated in writing a little bit of the story each time.... I thought we did that pretty well and I want to try it with the a reunion story grinsmiley

Let's imagine 5 years have passed since the episode 'The Last Farewell'.

How are Charles & Caroline doing, and the James, Cassandra & Carrie? Did Albert live? Did Doc Baker or Eliza Jane find true love? Was the town of walnut grove rebuilt?

I will now leave this open to whoever wants to start us off! happy1

reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Horses10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 7:46 am

"I can't believe it," said Caroline at the breakfast table.

Charles looked up from his plate of ham and eggs. "What is it darlin?"

Caroline shook the Sleepy Eye Herald-Dispatch at Charles's face. "Look at the article about half way down the page."

Charles scanned the newsprint, shaking his head. Caroline sighed. She pointed her finger to direct Charles's attention to the tiny article whose title read, "Small Town Gets Revived."

She watched his face as he read the story. His eyes grew wider and they twinkled in a way she hadn't seen since they moved to Burr Oak. Charles glanced at her, staring in disbelief. Reading the article again, his excited breath came in shorter, heavier puffs.

"What do you think?" asked Caroline leaning in closer.

"I think I've died and gone to Heaven. I can't believe Walnut Grove has finally been rebuilt. It says here that the, "Winona and St. Peter Railroad has been completed. It runs right through town." He glanced up at her. "Can you imagine a train station in Walnut Grove?"

The corners of her mouth turned into a smile. "No, I can't. But it says that the town has three general stores, a livery, two new schools, and they rennovated the church." Caroline chewed the tip of her finger.

"What are you thinking?" Charles said with a smirk.

"Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could go home again? The kids would love it."

Charles shook his head. "I just don't know if I can make a living there."

"Can we at least think about it?"

Charles covered Caroline's tiny, soft hand with his larger, rough one. He smiled as he gazed into her eyes. "Of course we will."

To be continued...

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyThu Jun 07, 2007 12:17 am

Laura smiled as she waved goodbye to her 7 year old daughter Rose as she entered the schoolroom. For a moment she remembered her first day of school in Walnut Grove.

"Walnut Grove..." she said outloud.

She couldn't believe what she had read in the paper this morning. Just thinking about what they were forced to do on their last day at walnut grove made a lump form in her throat. The day they had to blow up those buildings that held so many memories was one of the hardest things she had witnessed. After that they moved to Burr Oak as did several other people from Walnut Grove. She wondered how many of them had read the article this morning. Laura was really excited and wanted to personally see her Ma & Pa about it but she decided she would first stop at the doctor's office to surprise Albert.

"Whoaaaa..." said Laura as she stopped the buggy in front of the office. She saw Albert was opening the windows and getting ready for the day.

"Good morning little brother!" Laura said as she gave Albert a kiss on the cheek.

"Good morning and I'm not little, I'm 21 years old for your information." Albert smiled at her.

Laura smiled and said "Well, 21 year old little brother, I'm guessing you have not read the paper this morning or else you would have told me about it yourself."

"No, what is it?" asked Albert taking the paper from Laura as she pointed to the article. Albert read and Laura saw his face getting more and more surprised by the minute.

"I can't believe it...." Albert said as he looked up from the paper at Laura.

"Albert... do you remember what you told me once that time you were sick?" Laura looked at Albert.

"Yes... I said no matter where I went I considered Walnut Grove my home... "

"And?...."

"And that when I became a doctor, that is where I would like to practice at".

Laura nodded and smiled at Albert. Albert smiled back.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyThu Jun 07, 2007 8:36 am

"Do you think Ma and Pa saw it?" asked Laura.

"I don't know. I've got a hour before my next appointment, why don't we go find out." Albert hopped into the buggy alongside his sister.

Laura let the horses go slow, thinking about what a new Walnut Grove might mean to her and her family. Rose had never really been happy in Burr Oak. She hadn't made many friends and her teachers didn't quite appreciate Rose's precocious nature. It broke Laura's heart to think of Rose spending most of her time alone.

Albert's question broke through her thoughts. "What did Almanzo have to say about it?"

"Well, he never did favor coming east, but Iowa has been good to us. He's never had such abundant harvests as he's had here. So, while he really loves the thought of moving back to Walnut Grove, part of him thinks we should stay right where we are." Laura tugged hard on the reins as they pulled up in front of their parents' house. "Of course, if Ma and Pa decided to go home that might change his thinking a bit."

"I'm sure you could persude him."

"Oh no, little brother. I'll give him my opinion, but it will be up to Almanzo whether we go or not. He's the one who is providing for the family right now."

"Good grief, where did that fiesty girl who was my sister go?" Albert chuckled.

"Don't you worry, she's still here. Being Almanzo's wife has just tamed her a bit." Albert held out his hand to help Laura from the buggy. "What would Michelle think if you asked her to pick up the kids and all your belongings to move your practice to Walnut Grove?"

"I don't know," said Albert. "But I'll find out when I get home tonight."

Laura and Albert walked hand in hand up the short walkway to Charles and Caroline's home. They stared at each other for a moment, the closeness they shared in childhood bubbling at the surface.

"Well, we can't make any decisions until we know what Ma and Pa are going to do." Laura rapped hard on the door while butterflies flew around in her stomach.

To be continued...

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyThu Jun 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Loving the story! :sillySmiley:

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyMon Jun 11, 2007 6:58 pm

Caroline was washing the dishes when she heard the knock at the door.

“I’ll get it Ma!” said Grace as she ran from the hallway to the door.

“Hi Grace!” said Albert & Laura in unison.

“Well, what a surprise, what brings the two of you here this morning?” said Caroline as she kissed both of them on the cheek.

“Ma, I read a really interesting article in the paper this morning. I passed by Albert’s office to talk to him about it and now we’re here”, said Laura.

“Oh Laura, I read it too! I showed it to your Pa and I could tell on his face that he liked the news.” Caroline gave both Laura & Albert a cup of coffee.

Laura & Albert turned their heads to the noise of footsteps coming down the stairs. James, Cassandra & Carrie all came down and greeted their siblings. Laura couldn’t believe how big they were now. James was 18 years old and worked with Pa at the store. Cassandra had just turned 17 and was studying to take the teacher’s exam and Carrie said she would the same the following year when she turned 17. Grace was considered the baby of the family at 10 years old. She would sometimes feel left out a little because of her age but Carrie always tried her best to include her sister in most of the adventures they had.

“Oh Cassandra, Jenny wanted me to tell you that she wants to get together tomorrow to study for the teacher’s exam”, said Laura as she hugged her sister. Jenny and Cassandra were both the same age and had become really close.

“Thanks Laura”, said Cassandra.

“So Ma, what did Pa say about it?”, asked Albert.

“I told him I thought it would nice if we were to go back, your Pa said he’d think about it”, said Caroline as she smiled.

“Think about what Ma?” asked James.

Laura told James and gave him the article to read. Cassandra, Carrie & Grace got close to James as he read the article out loud.

James looked up. “Wow… this is fantastic!”

“Two schools!” said Cassandra. “I’m pretty sure they will be needing teachers or helpers”

Grace went to Caroline and hugged her by the waist. “So when do we leave Ma?!”
Caroline burst out laughing and everyone else joined in.

“Well, I DID tell your Pa that you kids would love the news, I knew I’d be right about that” she said as she kissed Grace on the top of her head.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptySun Jun 17, 2007 11:02 pm

Caroline looked upon her children, a smile curling the corners of her lips. "Carrie, Cassandra, Grace, if you don't leave soon you'll be late for school."

"Yes Ma," they said in unison.

The girls collected their books and dinner pails and kissed their mother goodbye. They waved to Laura and Albert and Grace pulled the door shut on her way out.

"Don't they usually come home for dinner?" Albert fumbled with his necktie. No matter how long he had worn one, he still found ties uncomfortable.

"Yes, but with Cassandra and Jenny planning to take their teacher's examinations, they usually stay at school during recess to study together. It's good for Carrie too. Grace doesn't like to walk home by herself, so she stays with them." Caroline dried the last plate and placed it on the shelf. "What time is Jenny arriving tomorrow, Laura?"

"The train should be here around ten."

"I'm surprised you let Jenny go all the way to Minneapolis when she's studying for her teacher's exam."

"Well, Eliza Jane needed someone to help her out while she recovered from her broken arm. And Jenny was getting so nervous about the exam she just about bit her fingernails right off. I figured some time away would do her good. We've missed her."

The timepiece on the mantle chimed nine o'clock.

"Gotta go," said James buttoning up his suit coat. "Pa will have a fit if I'm late again." He pecked Caroline on the cheek and rushed out the door.

Laura sighed. "When did they all grow up?"

"Before we had a chance to notice," said Caroline. "We keep expecting James to announce his engagement any day."

"What's the hold up?" asked Albert.

"He's petrified to approach Sarah's father. I don't know why, Mr. Morris thinks James is a fine suitor for his daughter." Caroline slid a pin through her hat and grabbed her handbag off the table. "I wish I could chat longer, but I have to get to the restaurant."

"That's okay Ma," said Albert. "I have an appointment soon. We'll walk you out."

Laura, Albert, and Caroline strolled out the front door, each thinking about Walnut Grove and the news they had discovered this morning. Caroline kissed her children goodbye and wished them a good day. As she started down the street towards the restaurant she heard Laura call after her.

"You'll let us know what Pa says tonight, won't you?"

Caroline turned towards her children who were already inside Laura's buggy. An impish smile covered her face. "Of course."

to be continued...

Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyMon Jun 18, 2007 12:03 am

This is so exciting!!!

reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Hummerreunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) MistiKeeperreunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Bookclub5reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyMon Jun 18, 2007 5:50 pm

Yes it is....I dont have the guts to add to it...so keep it coming!

reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 11:23 am

Gin wrote:

Same here..:shy:
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 2:12 pm

Susie wrote:
Gin wrote:

Same here..:shy:

Chickens. Brock, brock, brock!

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 3:29 pm

Laughing Cheryl....
Come on guys... don't be afraid Wave

On with the story....

Doctor Baker looked out the window and could not believe it. In a few minutes he would be boarding off at a train station in Walnut Grove. It had been about a week ago when an old school friend and retired doctor, Henry Lively, had written to him about the town being rebuilt. Mr. Lively had told Doc Baker that the town was opening a doctor’s office and they were in need of doctors. Mr. Lively knew how much it hurt Hiram not only to leave Walnut Grove but due to some unfortunate circumstances, to also blow up his own office where he had practiced for years.

The train came to a stop and made Doctor Baker stop remembering the past. He looked out the window and saw several new buildings. He stepped off the train and looked around him. He couldn’t believe how alive the town was! How much he wished that his friends were here with him. He wanted so much to tell Charles, Isaiah, Nels & Almanzo about the news but instead he had decided to see the town for himself first and then surprise them.

Doctor Baker liked what he saw. “I can’t believe it” he said to himself.

“Neither could I when I first came”

Doctor Baker turned around at the sound of his friend’s voice.

“Henry! It’s so nice to see you. Thank you for coming” said Doctor Baker as he hugged his friend.

“Oh it’s a pleasure Hiram. I told you I would be here to see your reaction when you stepped off that train and that is what I have done! And who knows, I think I consider this an honor as I may be talking with the new Walnut Grove doctor”, said Mr. Lively as he winked at Hiram.

Doctor Baker laughed and patted his shoulder. “Oh, I hope you’re right Henry. I want to thank you again for organizing my interview with the town counsel about the position”.

“Don’t mention it. Why don’t we grab a bite to eat before the meeting? I think we have enough time. There is a new restaurant that just opened up the road, what do you say?”

“I say, you don’t have to tell me twice”, said Hiram as he smiled and got in the buggy with Henry.

As they rode along, Doctor Baker noticed they were passing by the land where the blind school used to be at. He asked Henry to stop for a moment so he could take a look at the plaque that was placed there in memory of Alice Garvey & Adam Jr.

“May you rest in peace” he whispered as his hand ran through the letters in the plaque. Henry got off the buggy and came to Hiram’s side and put his hand on his shoulder. Hiram looked at him and smiled & nodded and they both got on the buggy again and were on their way again to the restaurant.

----------------

After a nice lunch, Doctor Baker started feeling nervous about the meeting he was about to have. He didn’t know any of the men and hoped that they liked him.

“Well, I guess I better go in”, said Doctor Baker to Henry as he adjusted his tie.

“You will be fine. I’ll wait out here for you”.

Doctor Baker smiled and went inside the building. As he entered the meeting room, he saw about 6 men sitting there waiting for him. One of them stood up as he walked in.

“Dr. Hiram Baker?”

“Yes sir. It’s a pleasure to meet you” said Doctor Baker as he shook the man’s hand.

The men all seemed nice and started asking Dr. Baker questions about his experiences as a doctor. After about 15 minutes one of the men took off his glasses and addressed Dr. Baker.

“Well Dr. Baker, you have a very fine work history experience as a doctor. It seems you are one of those rare doctors that are hard to find. Doctors that love what they do and really care about their patients. I’m telling you, not too many doctors I know are willing to accept chickens & eggs for payment!” the man said as everyone briefly laughed.

“I do however must be honest and have a concern about your age. I know you are very good at what you do, but as you can see, this town is being rebuilt fast and before we know it, more and more people will start living here. What I am trying to say is, the job may become very stressful for just one doctor so I wanted to ask you if you knew of anyone, preferably a young doctor, who could share the work with you.”

Doctor Baker could not believe his ears. They have given him the job and not only that, they were asking him to find someone young to work with him!

“Oh yes sir! I believe I have just the right person for you”, said Hiram barely being able to talk from the excitement. He shook all the men’s hands and thanked them very much.

“Well, congratulations Dr. Baker! You just get us that young man and we will make arrangements to start opening up the doctor’s office as soon as the building is finished. Oh… and … Welcome again to Walnut Grove”, said the man as he shook Dr. Baker’s hand.

“Oh thank you sir, thank you!”

To be continued …

Last edited by on Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
charles ingalls
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
charles ingalls

Number of posts : 2009

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 5:11 pm

very nice

reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) GARYKEEPER
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 10:54 pm

Can I jump in?? grinsmiley

It had taken Albert over an hour to persuade Mrs. Armstrong that there was nothing wrong with her. She had been his last appointment of the day, something he knew he would regret as soon as she entered his office and began listing all her symptoms. But Albert, and a great deal of others in town, knew that most of the symptoms were in her head. She craved attention, and it was nearly impossible to convince her otherwise once she got something into her head. In fact, she reminded Albert a lot of someone he had known growing up - Mrs. Harriet Oleson, in Walnut Grove. Not she had been a stubborn woman - Mrs. Armstrong probably would have gotten along well with her.

Albert found that he was grinning to himself as he thought of Mrs. Oleson and all the good times he had had growing up. Sure, there were times she had been downright mean, but now that he was older, he knew she wasn't truly a bad person at heart. She made bad choices, but she learned from then. Well, sometimes, Albert thought. But she kept things interesting.

He'd played countless tricks on her back then, usually with his sister, Laura. The memories from his childhood were something he still, to that day, held close to his heart. Where did the time go? he asked himself as he began straightening the papers on his desk. He paused for a moment to glance at the black-and-white photo that was framed and set off to one side. It was his first born daughter, Sarah, and had been taken when she was barely a year old. That was a little over three years ago. Next to it was her little sister, Molly, who had been born three days after Christmas only one year ago. His girls were the light of his life - Albert never imagined he could feel such joy, and he wished desperately he could give his children the kind of childhood he had experienced, away from the hustle and bustle of the city and a place where everyone knew everyone else; friends were easy to come by.

The papers straightened, Albert picked up his black bag and next to it, a bouquet of flowers he bought that morning for Michelle. It was their four year anniversary tomorrow, and he loved her more with each passing day.

He headed for the door, but stopped when the phone rang. Albert sighed, debating with himself for a moment. It could be a patient in need of his services, or it could be Mrs. Armstrong, calling to announce a new illness. Albert knew he had to take into account that it could be a patient. He set his things down again and answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Dr. Ingalls?" the voice on the other end replied. "It's Doc Baker."

"Doc Baker! How are you?" Albert exclaimed in surprise. Doc Baker had not only been a friend to his family growing up, but his mentor; it was the doc who made Albert want to study medicine in the first place.

"Listen, I know it's late and you're probably on your way home, but I just have something to discuss with you. It'll only take a moment."

"Sure. What is it?" As Albert listened intently to the response, a smile formed on his lips. "Of course!" he laughed. "You're not kidding, are you?" He paused. "No, it's good. It's great! I've got to run it by Michelle of course, but I'm pretty sure what her answer will be...Absolutely. Thanks a lot! This is wonderful news."

They said good bye and Albert hung up and grabbed his bag quickly, unfortunately forgetting the flowers as he rushed to get home and tell his family the news.

reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) ChristinaKeeper2 reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."

Last edited by on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyWed Jun 20, 2007 12:13 pm

Love it!! :sillySmiley:

Back to top Go down
charles ingalls
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
charles ingalls

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyWed Jun 20, 2007 12:54 pm

brilliant

Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyWed Jun 20, 2007 5:12 pm

This is great! I wish we could watch it! Thumbsup

reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
charles ingalls
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
charles ingalls

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyWed Jun 20, 2007 6:13 pm

i'll put my .02 in

phone rings.. caroline answers walnut grove... ma it's me laura
can you tell the family i'll be home tomorrow... manly
is loading the wagon.. caroline i sure will oh laura jenny called
and will be home tonight... it's good to have the family
around... caroline it sure is... ma hows albert doing
he's doing good that's great, laura mr edwards and grace
are renewing thier vows. oh ma that's wonderful.. where's pa
in the field with james plowing.. well i'll see everyone tomorrow
love you ma.. love you too

Back to top Go down
charles ingalls
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
charles ingalls

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyWed Jun 20, 2007 6:15 pm

that's it if there's a movie me and bethandmanly carol
will write the movie

Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyThu Jun 21, 2007 10:16 pm

[ Meanwhile, in New York... ]

Mary sat in her favorite chair on this sunny Friday afternoon, as Susan, her four-year old daughter, played nearby. The clock had just struck one o'clock. Adam was busy in his study, as we was preparing for the biggest trial of his career. He would be defending a man accused of a brutal murder. The case was being watched closely by all of the newspapers in New York, and the public was eagerly awaiting the big trial that would start on Monday. Adam anticipated he would have to work well into the night and all day Saturday, and knowing things would be hectic at the office and how important this trial was, he decided he could get more work done at home. At times like this, when Adam was so busy, Mary often thought about her friends and family out west and how much she missed them. Sure, she knew a lot of people in New York, but it was hard for her to consider them her friends. They seemed to be interested mostly in climbing the social ladder and not in developing meaningful relationships -- the kinds of relationships Mary remembered from when she lived in Walnut Grove. After talking to her Ma last week about the revival of her childhood home town, Mary couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to move back there. She knew it couldn't happen, though. Adam was reaching the top of his career, and she couldn't ask him to give that up, especially when things were so hard for them in Walnut Grove.

As Mary began to daydream of the pleasant memories of Walnut Grove, she heard a knock at the door. She walked over and opened the door. "Mary!", exclaimed the visitor. Mary knew the voice sounded familiar, but she couldn't quite place it. Seeing the puzzled look on Mary's face, the guest said, "It's me. Nellie Dalton." Mary broke into a big smile, saying, "Nellie! Oh, of course! I'm sorry I didn't recognize your voice right away." "It's alright; how long has it been, almost four years?", Nellie replied. "It was when this little lady was just a baby," Nellie said, referring to Susan.

"Please come in," Mary said. Nellie stepped inside, and the two women hugged. "Won't you sit down? I'll make us some tea," Mary invited. Nellie replied as she sat, "I can only stay a few minutes. Percival and the children will be home soon, and I need to get home and prepare for the Shabbat Dinner. I was in this part of town, and I thought I'd stop by and see if you still lived here. I wanted to ask if you heard about Walnut Grove." Mary's face lit up as she replied, "Oh yes! My Ma called last week to tell me all about it. Isn't it fantastic?"

"How are your folks, Nellie? Wasn't your mother sick? I thought I heard she was in the hospital in Minneapolis, right about the time Walnut Grove was blown up." "Sick? Well sick in the head maybe," Nellie answered as she barely contained her laughter. "Mother drove the doctors and nurses crazy, insisting they find something wrong with her. They kept trying to convince her nothing was wrong with her, but she wouldn't take no for an answer. Finally, Father and Willie had to go up there and drag her out of the hospital kicking and screaming. About all she could do was say, 'Oh for heaven's sake!'" Mary laughed, and said, "I can just hear her saying that now. I suppose it was good she wasn't there to see your father blow up the mercantile. That would have been hard on her. So where are your folks now?"

"They bought the general store in Sleepy Eye. Business is good. Willie, Rachel, and little William, Junior all live in Sleepy Eye. We go back there every year. We observe Hanukkah here and then we go to Sleepy Eye for Christmas." Mary thought back to her days in Sleepy Eye. She so missed teaching and all the people she knew there. "How is the blind school doing?", Mary asked Nellie. "Great. After Walnut Grove was destroyed, Hester Sue decided to get her teaching certificate, and she's now the sole teacher there, and there have never been more children enrolled."

"Hester Sue Terhune -- she's an amazing lady! I don't know how she can handle all those children, but if anybody could do it, Hester Sue could!", said Mary. Nellie quickly jumped in with, "Well, she's Hester Sue Kagan now." Mary's face beamed as she said, "You mean, she and Joe finally..." Nellie interrupted, "Yes, they married two years ago, and Joe and Jonathan Garvey are the co-owners of the biggest freight company in all of southern Minnesota."

"What about Houston?", Mary asked. Nellie's face saddened as she struggled to get the words out, "I'm sorry, Mary. Houston passed on last year." As tears formed in Mary's eyes, she could barely respond, "He was such a wonderful man. We couldn't have done it without him."

Mary wondered about Nancy. She hesitated to ask, but she didn't want Nellie to think she had forgotten about Nancy. "How is Nancy?", Mary asked shyly. Nellie sighed and said, "She's the same old Nancy. She's so much like I was as a child, it's scary." Mary said, "Yes, but look at you now." Nellie laughed and said, "All Nancy needs is a handsome gentleman to come along and tell her how pretty she is." The two women laughed as they recalled Nellie's life-changing eggs-in-her-hair moment.

"Do you ever think about Walnut Grove? Not just growing up there; going back there, I mean?", Mary asked Nellie. "Oh yes!", Nellie replied. She shook her head and said, "But Percival would never consider it. He couldn't just leave the family business." "Sometimes I wish we never left Walnut Grove," Mary lamented. "I'm happy for Adam and all, and I love this house. I have more here in this house than I could ever dream of as a little girl, but it just doesn't feel like home. Home to me is the little house in the big woods, the little house on the prairie that Pa and Mr. Edwards built, and the little house on Plum Creek. It's Jack and Bandit roaming free. It's sleeping in the loft, falling asleep looking at the stars and listening to the crickets. I miss the simpler times. It's so hectic here."

"Well, I'd better go," Nellie said as she stood and walked toward the door. "I think Susan needs your attention," Nellie said as she observed the fidgeting child. "Yes, there's a lot of her Aunt Laura in her, that's for sure. Let's not wait another four years to get together again!", Mary said as she embraced Nellie. "I promise. Take care, and say hello to Adam for me," Nellie said as she walked out the door. "I will", said Mary, before closing the door.

Mary was happy to see her old enemy-turned-friend, but she was sadder than she had been in years. The thought of staying in New York when so many loved ones were back west was extremely difficult. She loved Adam with all her heart, of course, and she'd abide by his wishes, but she couldn't help but think about how wonderful it would be to move back to Walnut Grove. In her mind, there was no better place for Susan to grow up. She knew Adam didn't want to be disturbed, but she felt she really needed to talk to him. She knocked on the door of his study. After a few seconds with no answer, she knocked again louder. "Yes!", Adam shouted. "Adam, guess who was just here! Nellie Dalton." "Who?", replied Adam. "Nellie Dalton. You know, from Walnut Grove.", Mary insisted. "Oh? That's nice," said Adam as he went back to studying the dozen or so law books that were strewn all over his desk and the floor. "Don't you want to know what she had to say?", asked Mary. Visibly annoyed, Adam replied, "Mary, I don't have time for this. This is the biggest trial in this city in 20 years, and I'm going up against the toughest prosecutor in the whole state of New York. I've got to get ready for this trial. Do you understand?" "Yes. Yes, I understand...perfectly!", said an angry Mary. As she started to close the door to the study, Adam called out, "Mary? Let me know when dinner is ready." Mary closed the door firmly. "Let me know when dinner is ready," Mary repeated under her breath.

Mary sat back down in her favorite chair and began to sob. Just then, the phone rang. "Mary?", the loving voice on the other end of the line inquired. Mary recognized her Ma's voice immediately. "Ma?", Mary feebly replied. Caroline instantly knew something was upsetting her daughter, and then she could hear Mary breaking down emotionally. "Mary? Land sakes, what on earth is the matter?" All Mary could manage was, "Oh Ma!"

[ Commercial break... ]

reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyThu Jun 21, 2007 10:48 pm

Great job, John! Man, you all are covering your bases very well! Applause

reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Hummerreunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) MistiKeeperreunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Bookclub5reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyFri Jun 22, 2007 10:35 am

Oh this is good! Poor Mary bawling

Back to top Go down
charles ingalls
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
charles ingalls

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyFri Jun 22, 2007 7:05 pm

i liked it.. i know mine was short next time it will be long

Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyFri Jun 22, 2007 7:46 pm

Carol wrote:
Oh this is good! Poor Mary bawling

The Mary chapter reminds me of the episodes where Adam regained his sight. He got very insensitive in those episodes. This chapter echos that thought.

Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) EmptyFri Jun 22, 2007 7:50 pm

Hey, it would be great if Doctor Baker's girlfriend, Kate, came back, huh? Doc could finally be happy.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)   reunion - LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens) Empty

Back to top Go down

LHOTP - The Reunion Story (You decide what happens)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next