Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Costume Advice Needed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Julia
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Julia

Number of posts : 1871
Mood : Costume Advice Needed Cloud910

Costume Advice Needed Empty
PostSubject: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi there!

So, I have two events next week which will cause me to have to dress up. First, this upcoming Sunday evening, a fall type festival, then Wednesday night, a costume party. I'm pretty sure I know what I'll wear Wednesday. I'll be going "1950's". (Photo below.)

Costume Advice Needed 1950s010

My problem is deciding as to what to go as on Sunday night, though. I have two choices.
1.) A 1950's bobby soxer type.
2.) A mod, way out 1960's type.

The bobby soxer outfit would consist of a red & white untucked checkered shirt I have, rolled cuffed blue jeans, saddle oxfords with the sock rolled, too, an over sized sweater---the type boyfriends would let their girlfriends wear, a 1950's style fashion scarf, & possibly a beenie. I tried the outfit on the other evening & I looked just like I walked out of "Grease" or "Happy Days"!

The 1960's dress is black with white trim & a big white circle on the dress. Sleeveless.

I'll be honest, I'm really drawn to the 1950's bobby soxer outfit because I have everything I need for that to a tee. As for the 1960's mod style, I have an outstanding dress for it & I can of course do the makeup, but I don't have boots for it, although I suppose I could wear flats, but the only flats I have that would go are suede & since this will be an evening & outdoor event, I don't want to spoil my shoes. The dress is naturally short, too, being 1960's & my shortness evens it out, but when I bend over, I'd have to be careful. Both of these are church events & I just don't want to give the wrong idea. Ha ha! It also might be a bit chilly.

Anyhow, I've racked my brain, trying to figure this out & I'm so tired these days it's hard to decide. Needing some suggestions. grinsmiley

Thank you!! loveheart

"The beauty of a woman is incredibly radiant when she finds her identity, her confidence, & her hope in Christ alone. "  

Costume Advice Needed JuliaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Costume Advice Needed Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 3:20 pm

They both sound lovely!!!

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : Costume Advice Needed Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Great costumes, Julia! It's a close call, but I think I'd go with the '50s bobby-soxer.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Costume Advice Needed Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 6:15 pm

Love the 50's look---you wear that well! I can see the 60's mod though too...if you don't mind wearing the same thing twice, then I'd just keep it simple and go 50's. If you really want to change it up, it sounds like you have pretty much everything to pull off the other look---maybe you could check the thrift stores for some vintage boots! Good luck!

My hubby & I are invited to a Halloween party too...I can't believe how quickly this is coming up. I have some ideas, but everything takes effort (not to mention $$) and I have had no time or energy to focus on it. Check pinterest, by the way---there are some great costume ideas on there!!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Julia
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Julia

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Amy wrote:
Love the 50's look---you wear that well!  I can see the 60's mod though too...if you don't mind wearing the same thing twice, then I'd just keep it simple and go 50's.  If you really want to change it up, it sounds like you have pretty much everything to pull off the other look---maybe you could check the thrift stores for some vintage boots!  Good luck!

My hubby & I are invited to a Halloween party too...I can't believe how quickly this is coming up.  I have some ideas, but everything takes effort (not to mention $$) and I have had no time or energy to focus on it.  Check pinterest, by the way---there are some great costume ideas on there!!

I've been told I wear the 50's style well, even with my hair being a pixie cut...after all, even Audrey Hepburn had a pixie in the 1954 film Sabrina! Wink  After seeing the weather forecast (on the chilly side), I think I'll go with being the 50's bobby-soxer, & of course, Wednesday I'll wear the 50's dress in the photo above. The outfit is just too adorable to resist!

I cannot believe Halloween is almost here...along with all the other holidays right around the corner. Oh, where has the year gone?

Thank you for your help, everyone!! loveheart

"The beauty of a woman is incredibly radiant when she finds her identity, her confidence, & her hope in Christ alone. "  

Back to top Go down
Julia
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Julia

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 8:30 pm

Tonight was the festival! Hpumpkin ....& here is my outfit!

Costume Advice Needed 195010

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Costume Advice Needed Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : Costume Advice Needed Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 8:59 pm

I didn't know that they had cell phones in the '50s!! Wink

I hope you had a great time, Julia!! You carried off the look very well!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 8:04 am

Adorable, Julia! Thumbsup Hope you had fun!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 8:26 am

You look great, Julia!  

Savannah wrote:
I didn't know that they had cell phones in the '50s!!  Wink

Costume Advice Needed Funny-old-school-selfie-mirror-man-pics
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 8:50 am

laugh3 Rob!! That's fantastic!
Back to top Go down
Julia
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Julia

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 11:04 am

Thank you everybody...& Rob, you never cease to crack me up!! laugh3 That was so funny that I showed my Mom & she got a kick out of it, too! Laughing

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 12:49 pm

Wink
Back to top Go down
Julia
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Julia

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 11:08 pm

Well, I enjoyed the first costume so much, I wore it again to the costume party!

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 8:53 pm

Good choice!  Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 11:03 pm

Well, we're still celebrating over here, lol....my friend just had her Halloween party tonight.  I went as Mary Poppins! batEyes

Costume Advice Needed Img_7712

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 8:06 am

What a neat costume, Amy! You look great! Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Julia
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Julia

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 3:31 pm

You look gorgeous! Smile

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 3:36 pm

Love, love, love it, Mimi!! Practically perfect in every way!!
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 4:16 pm

You look nice. Just like her!

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Thanks everyone! Smile It sure was FUN! Thumbsup I want to dress up like Mary every day now! grinsmiley

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 5:25 pm

You're welcome.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Costume Advice Needed   Costume Advice Needed Empty

Back to top Go down

Costume Advice Needed
Page 1 of 1