Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rare & Exotic Fruit please....

Go down 
+11
Misti
Vanesa
Rhonda
Teresa
Lily
JW
pamh36
Amy
Savannah
Rob
Carol
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Happy010

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Empty
PostSubject: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyThu Feb 14, 2008 5:41 pm

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Ph06

So we have all heard or tried fruits like oranges, grapes, strawberries, etc...
But what are some of the fruits you have tried that are not so common in your area?

One that I like that is not so common like the orange... is guava. I love the taste of it and can eat several at a time lol :sillySmiley:
The smell of these can be strong. If they are left out in the kitchen... the smell is very noticable. If someone walks in the house, you can tell right away, that guavas are somewhere around. LOL

About Guavas:
The guava fruit is edible, round to pear-shaped, from 3-10 cm in diameter (up to 12 cm in some selected cultivars). It has a thin delicate rind, pale green to yellow at maturity in some species, pink to red in others, a creamy white or orange-salmon flesh with many small hard seeds, and a strong, characteristic aroma that is hard to describe but generally reminiscent of refreshing fruit like apples, passionfruit or strawberries, with an inoffensive acidity and a fragrance reminiscent of rose petals. Guavas are often considered "superfruits", being extremely rich in vitamins A, B, and C. A single guava fruit contains more vitamin C than a typical citrus fruit; the rind alone contains over five times more vitamin C than an orange. It also contains high amounts of calcium – which is unusual in a fruit.

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Ficha%20Psidium%20cattleianum.htm_txt_Psidium_cattleyanum

How about you guys? What rare fruits do you enjoy?

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Horses10
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 6:47 am

Carol wrote:
What rare fruits do you enjoy?

That's a loaded question. Cool

Not sure how rare they are, but I like clementines, which are very distantly related to oranges.

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... FruitOrange2ClementineRare & Exotic Fruit please.... FruitOrange2Orange
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 8:01 am

I've been trying to think if there *are* any rare or exotic fruits that are even sold around here, but I think we're still too small-town for that. We do have some tropical fruits that are unusual for our area.........but that's about it. I like Kiwi - and that's pretty rare for our area. . . . . I mean........Not ONE of the farmers around here grows it. batEyes
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 8:11 am

Savannah wrote:
I like Kiwi - and that's pretty rare for our area. . . . . I mean........Not ONE of the farmers around here grows it. batEyes

Really?? Up here there's a kiwi plantation on every corner. Wink
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 10:49 am

Ah, what a pretty picture! Makes me think summer!! Thumbsup

I'm allergic to kiwi actually...I LOVE it, but the roof of my mouth itches terribly after I eat it!

I just discovered pomagranates this year! My son had one at his school (the teacher brought in 'unusual' food for the kids to try, and he loved it and wanted me to buy some. So I did and now I'm hooked! They're messy though...be prepared to get your hands stained red! grinsmiley

Part of the reason I'm not a 'winter person' is the lack berries in season...I love strawberries, blueberries, rasberries, etc..., but they're all WAY too much $$ now!! The other day I found a container of strawberries priced at $6.00!!! OhMy

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 10:52 am

I agree with, Rob, I really like clementines too. They are easy to peel, which is a plus, and they have just the right amount of sweet. A perfect snack.

Not long ago we bought mango's, papaya and guava so that Kelsey could try them. I liked them all, except for the papaya.

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 10:55 am

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... AvocadoPhoto These are Avocados Very Good to Put in a Salad or But em of a Bun Just Like Butter Just The Inside the Green Stuff Hmmmmm that is soo good

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Jacobk10Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 11:27 am

Wow, I've never heard of Clementines before. I will have to try it... first I gotta find out where to get it. Thanks Rob! Thumbsup

Amy wrote:
I just discovered pomagranates this year! My son had one at his school (the teacher brought in 'unusual' food for the kids to try, and he loved it and wanted me to buy some. So I did and now I'm hooked! They're messy though...be prepared to get your hands stained red! grinsmiley

Ah yes... pomegranates ARE really messy! My friend recently experimented and added lemon and salt to it.... I guess the taste is really good... she was boasting about it... but as she prepared it... she kept on wiping the mess it made on the counter... on the window blinds nearby Laughing

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Article_pomegranate

Another one I really like is Tamarind. I LOVE a drink my mom makes with Tamarind.
In Latin America, especially Mexico, and Latin American immigrant communities in the US, the fruit is wildly popular and is fashioned into a drink, "Agua de Tamarindo", and many kinds of treats. Many popular Tamarindo concoctions are hard candies and suckers and one of the most popular aguas frescas is flavored with tamarind.

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Tamarind

I eat them as they are (but they do have a little tart taste at first and then it's sweet... not sure how to explain it lol)... and the Tamarind drink is one of my favorites. :sillySmiley:

Last edited by on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 11:31 am

I also love clementines, like Pam said, it's easier to peel. The watery sweet tangy taste is just yummy.

Oh Jacob, I love avocados. I buy them all the time to put in my salad.
Thumbsup

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 12:48 pm

I love avocados too, Jacob!! I love to make fresh guacamole.

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 1:29 pm

Clementines are a form of tangerine. When I lived in California, we had peaches, plums, grapefruit, lemons, oranges, trangerines, figs, cumquats, and avocado trees all growing in the yard....I sure miss the old homeplace...... Blue

EDITED TO ADD: We also had Persimmon trees and Pecan trees and my daddy had a vegetable garden too! grinsmiley

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Rhonda10Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!

Last edited by on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 2:35 pm

Exotic fruit? We didn't have in Argentina, but some guavas and avocados in the very nord-East. However, you can eat whatever you want if you goes to some "exotic" markets and Asiatic ones. I have one near my home, and there you may purchase mangoes (I love it), Papaya (the bigger variety is named "mamón"), lichies, rambuthan, , plantains, Custard apples, Star Fruit (Carambola) and absolutely all you wants. This is great, since I love fruit. Exotic and not exotic ones.

Vanesa. Cheer

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 2:53 pm

We Love Avocados but they are rather expessive here how about there?

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Jacobk10Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 3:44 pm

They're not too expensive, but sometimes it's difficult to find avocados that are ripe and nice and soft. Exactly what you need to make guacamole.

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 4:51 pm

I love avacados, too! Never tried any of the other ones and I don't really think I've had any exotic fruits. You know, Amy, I'm like that with certain foods I eat...the roof of my mouth "aches" (does that make sense) and I don't really know why. Your situation sounds similar.

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... HummerRare & Exotic Fruit please.... MistiKeeperRare & Exotic Fruit please.... Bookclub5Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 6:36 pm

My brother and I gook a trip to Florida years ago and we stayed at a resort near Disney World. Our section of the resort was called Kumquat and we wondered "what the heck is kumquat?" While we were in another part of the state we went to a cirtus farm and discovered just what a kumquat is. It was really cool. Af first we just ate the thing and it tasted horrible. My brother tried to peel it, lol. A kind passerby showed us how to get the juices flowing and then eat it. They were really good. I have been to FL once since but didn't see any of that fruit. We don't get them up here in Ontario so I guess I'll just have to take another trip to get some more.

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... MarilynKeeper Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 7:13 pm

Rob wrote:
Savannah wrote:
I like Kiwi - and that's pretty rare for our area. . . . . I mean........Not ONE of the farmers around here grows it. batEyes

Really?? Up here there's a kiwi plantation on every corner. Wink

Wow............So, do the plantation owners market chilled kiwi this time of year? batEyes

Vanesa! I love star fruit! I'd forgotten about that. I pretty much love any fruit, though.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 7:49 pm

LIWnut wrote:
My brother and I gook a trip to Florida years ago and we stayed at a resort near Disney World. Our section of the resort was called Kumquat and we wondered "what the heck is kumquat?" While we were in another part of the state we went to a cirtus farm and discovered just what a kumquat is. It was really cool. Af first we just ate the thing and it tasted horrible. My brother tried to peel it, lol. A kind passerby showed us how to get the juices flowing and then eat it. They were really good. I have been to FL once since but didn't see any of that fruit. We don't get them up here in Ontario so I guess I'll just have to take another trip to get some more.

Kumquats or Cumquats, are so little.......can't get much juice from them, but they do have their own flavor......

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... R?t=a&d=us&s=a&c=p&ti=1&ai=30752&l=dir&o=0&sv=0a300526&ip=46b2547c&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.globalgourmet.com%2Ffood%2Fkgk%2F2002%2F0202%2Fkumquat

OK, so I had a picture, but when I hit Send, it comes out looking like that above.... banghead So, here's the link to it....

Cumquat

Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 10:47 pm

I've never heard of cumquat before. They look like mini oranges.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptySat Feb 16, 2008 1:07 pm

Cumquats are called "Quinotos" in Argentina, and they comes from China, but are adapted here. They are a "winter harvest" and they tastes more tarty than a grapefruit. My great-granny would cook a very tasteful confiture with them. They were boiled in sugar syrup until they are trabslucid as candies, and they are put into jars with all thys golden.heavy syrup. A real treat! Yummy!

Vanesa.

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptySat Feb 16, 2008 8:56 pm

Hmm...I thought when I had a mango for the first time last year that was "exotic" to me, LOL. I also tried kiwis and thought both were pretty good. Oddly enough, I can eat them both and not have allergies bother me, but if I try some "every day" kind of fruit that I can find in any store nearby, like an apple or pear, then my allergies act up. :think:

Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... ChristinaKeeper2 Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 8:29 pm

When we were over visiting the children a few weekends ago, my Mom and I found a huge market that has an absolutely amazing variety of fruits and vegetables! So, this week, I tried a persimmon for the very first time. It won't be the last. Cool I also bought a mango, but I haven't tried that yet. And Carol! They have tamarinds! So maybe I'll try that, too. They also carry some of the "older" vegetables that I don't see around here very often. Turnips, parsnips, rutabaga. . . .

Persimmons need a better name. They taste much better than they sound. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 9:11 pm

We had persimmon trees in California. My daddy couldn't WAIT for them to get ripe so he could suck the sweet fruit out of it.......

Savannah, get some and make persimmon bread. Use a banana nut bread recipe and substitute the persimmon for it......or google a recipe online.....it is aMAZing........ grinsmiley

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 9:13 pm

Lois' Persimmon Bread

3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup peeled and mashed persimmons
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup raisins

1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease the bottom of a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs and vegetable oil.
  3. Stir together persimmon pulp and baking soda in a small bowl. Add to sugar mixture; mix well.
  4. In another bowl, combine flour, cinnamon and salt. Add pecans and raisins. Fold into persimmon/egg mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
  5. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Makes one (9 x 5 x 3-inch) loaf; or 12 servings.

grinsmiley

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 9:36 pm

Savannah wrote:
And Carol! They have tamarinds! So maybe I'll try that, too.

Yeah? That's neat! Thumbsup
Here is a recipe for the Tamarind drink:

Ingredients
1/2 lb dried tamarind (remove shell)
3 cups water
1 cup sugar (or to taste)

Directions
1 Put the tamarind and water in a large bowl.

2 Let soak for an hour or so.

3 Then remove seeds with your hands.

4 Try to mash up the tamarind, for this will make it easier to remove the seeds and give the water a more pronounced flavor.

5 Pour water through a strainer.

6 Add sugar.

7 Refridgerate until well chilled. Serve and enjoy!

8 Serve chilled with lots of ice.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rare & Exotic Fruit please....   Rare & Exotic Fruit please.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Rare & Exotic Fruit please....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next