Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!

Go down 
+8
EllieJane
Rhonda
Teresa
bethandmanly
JW
Amy
Rob
Carol
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Bokmal10

THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 11:53 pm

Who watched The Thorn Birds when it first came out? Do you remember the big stink the Catholic church made because it came out on Easter weekend?

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 11:56 pm

I did! It was a great miniseries. I have it on DVD.

I don't really recall the controversy, but read about it after the fact.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 12:19 am

Rob wrote:
I did! It was a great miniseries. I have it on DVD.

I don't really recall the controversy, but read about it after the fact.

I loved it too. The controversy was that it came out on Easter weekend and that the movie--and book--are about a priest who breaks his vows. The Church probably woud have protested the film anyway, but the timing made it worse for them.

In the 90's, the network came out with The Thorn Birds: The Missing Years and that was just awful. I taped it, but I don't ever watch it. It went against the whole premise of the book that Maggie and Ralph were separated for many years after their time on Matlock Island.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 12:24 am

That's funny. I also have The Missing Years on tape... somewhere. I heard bad things about it and never bothered to watch.

Did you know that Colleen McCullough, who wrote the novel The Thorn Birds, hated the original miniseries? Among other things, she thought that Richard Chamberlain was badly miscast as Father Ralph. Me, I can't imagine anyone else playing the part. :think:
Back to top Go down
Kathleen Marie
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kathleen Marie

Number of posts : 685

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 12:24 am

Oh my gosh, The Thorn Birds was one of my favorite mini-series and that is why I named my daughter Megan because of the character Megan on the mini-series. I own the series and will still catch myself watching it if it is on television...

THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 KathyKeeper1
Back to top Go down
Kathleen Marie
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kathleen Marie

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 12:25 am

Richard Chamberlain was wonderful in that series. You know who would have also been good was Christopher Reeve...

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 12:27 am

Kathleen Marie wrote:
Oh my gosh, The Thorn Birds was one of my favorite mini-series and that is why I named my daughter Megan because of the character Megan on the mini-series. I own the series and will still catch myself watching it if it is on television...

Kathy, do you call your daughter Meggie, like Rachel Ward?
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 12:58 am

Rob wrote:
That's funny. I also have The Missing Years on tape... somewhere. I heard bad things about it and never bothered to watch.

Did you know that Colleen McCullough, who wrote the novel The Thorn Birds, hated the original miniseries? Among other things, she thought that Richard Chamberlain was badly miscast as Father Ralph. Me, I can't imagine anyone else playing the part. :think:

I had heard that McCullough was less than thrilled with it, but didn't know why. She really wasn't happy about the sequel either. She said something like, "There were no missing years." As for Richard Chamberlain, I agree, he was perfect, but very different from the Ralph in the book, so maybe she was looking for an actor who more closely resembled her Ralph. I didn't read the book until after the mini-series aired on TV and was suprised that Ralph was physically very different from Richard Chamberlain.

Did you hear that "The Thorn Birds: The Musical" will open in Wales this Spring? Here's an article I found: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz-and-lifestyle/news/2009/01/09/wales-hosts-world-premiere-of-the-thorn-birds-musical-91466-22648909/

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 12:59 am

Kathleen Marie wrote:
Richard Chamberlain was wonderful in that series. You know who would have also been good was Christopher Reeve...

Definitely. Chris would have been great!

Back to top Go down
Kathleen Marie
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kathleen Marie

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 10:37 am

Yes Rob I call her Meggie.....the first time I saw that mini-series I told myself if I ever had a daughter I would name her Megan, although I think in the book it is spelled Meghan. Anyways, when I found out I was having a little girl, her name was decided when I was about five months pregnant, so her name is Megan Kathleen.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 1:17 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
I didn't read the book until after the mini-series aired on TV and was suprised that Ralph was physically very different from Richard Chamberlain.

Cheryl, I also read the book, but it's been years. How was Father Ralph physically different in the book?

Oh, and...

bethandmanly wrote:
suprised

THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Ec6c84422835
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286
Mood : THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 1:24 pm

I also loved "The Thorn Birds."

LOL!! Fife is at it again! Sorry, Cheryl. I didn't catch it in time to warn you.

THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Even at a party, Fife??

I didn't see The Thorn Birds when it first came out. (Too young, I guess....I was probably in bed by the time it came on tv) But I've seen it now. It's interesting that the author disliked the miniseries so much. Apparently she wasn't given the opportunity to have much input during the filming. Or maybe she's just one of those people who enjoys being dissatisfied. batEyes
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 2:57 pm

Savannah wrote:
Even at a party, Fife??

What you call a party, I call unlawful assembly.

THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Bfife
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 2:58 pm

Savannah wrote:
Or maybe she's just one of those people who enjoys being dissatisfied. batEyes

I read an online interview, and she did come across as one of those cranky writers who isn't happy about much of anything.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 2:58 pm

I remember The Thorn Birds miniseries when they gave it sometime in the mid 80s. It caught my attention a little bit but not enough to leave it on the channel since I was around 9 yrs old and wanted to see what Punky Brewster was up to lol. I've been meaning to watch it though so I just put it on the Netflix list of things to watch. :sillySmiley:

THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Horses10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Rob wrote:
bethandmanly wrote:
I didn't read the book until after the mini-series aired on TV and was suprised that Ralph was physically very different from Richard Chamberlain.

Cheryl, I also read the book, but it's been years. How was Father Ralph physically different in the book?

Oh, and...

bethandmanly wrote:
suprised

THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Ec6c84422835

Well, I never thought of Richard Chamberlain as very Irish--which Ralph was in the book--and McCullough created Ralph with dark curly hair. Ralph also has small, slender hands, while Chamberlain has rather long fingers and what I would say is a normal sized man's hand. But Chamberlain's fluid movements did seem very Ralphlike.

And ya know, Fife, lawbreaking can be fun sometimes. You should try it.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:58 pm

Rob wrote:
Savannah wrote:
Or maybe she's just one of those people who enjoys being dissatisfied. batEyes

I read an online interview, and she did come across as one of those cranky writers who isn't happy about much of anything.

Yes, most of her interviews make her sound very critical.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 4:30 pm

Kathleen Marie wrote:
You know who would have also been good was Christopher Reeve...

Boy, that's a good idea. He sounds much closer to the Father Ralph that Cheryl described in the book, at least physically.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 5:32 pm

Rob wrote:
Savannah wrote:
Even at a party, Fife??

What you call a party, I call unlawful assembly.

THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Bfife

How 'bout a glass of sweet cider? batEyes Mrs. Mendlebright just brought me some.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 5:38 pm

Savannah wrote:
Even at a party, Fife??

I didn't see The Thorn Birds when it first came out. (Too young, I guess....I was probably in bed by the time it came on tv) But I've seen it now. It's interesting that the author disliked the miniseries so much. Apparently she wasn't given the opportunity to have much input during the filming. Or maybe she's just one of those people who enjoys being dissatisfied. batEyes

Authors don't usually have a lot of influence over film storylines. Seems odd since these are their characters, but that's the way it works for most of them.

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 5:43 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
Well, I never thought of Richard Chamberlain as very Irish--which Ralph was in the book--and McCullough created Ralph with dark curly hair. Ralph also has small, slender hands, while Chamberlain has rather long fingers and what I would say is a normal sized man's hand. But Chamberlain's fluid movements did seem very Ralphlike.

Ah, I have to admit, if I were an author, I'd be annoyed if they didn't at least try to make the actor look like the characters I'd written. Hair dye . . . contacts . . . whatever. Meggie was supposed to have had curly red hair, wasn't she? Though, I can't imagine anyone but Sidney Penny playing Meggie as a child. She was so completely charming. And I'd always see Meggie as dark haired now. (Which is probably partly what annoys McCullough. LOL! People "see" her characters in a way that she didn't intend them to be.)

bethandmanly wrote:
Savannah wrote:
Even at a party, Fife??

Authors don't usually have a lot of influence over film storylines. Seems odd since these are their characters, but that's the way it works for most of them.

Yes, I've read that, too. There are a few who fought for creative rights, and got them...But that doesn't seem to be very common.
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 11:46 pm

I loved "The Thorn Birds" both the movie & the book and I did not like "The Missing Years" especially with a different Meggie.

An interesting fact (that y'all probably know); IRL, Rachel Ward (Meggie) and Bryan Brown (Luke O'Neal) are married, having gotten together either during The Thorn Birds" or after it was over.

THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 HummerTHE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 MistiKeeperTHE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Bookclub5THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 12:07 am

Wow, all this talk about the Thorn Birds and guess what? I've never seen it or read the book! OhMy Guess I'd better get busy!

Savannah, I can't believe Scarecrow & Mrs. King STILL is not out on dvd. I mean, "Adam 12" is for crying out loud. I wonder what the problem is?!?! And thank you for offering to check with your friend about how she obtained your copy---I think I'll wait until it comes out though so I can get the quality. I'm sure it will be released eventually. I hope. :unsure:

And Holly, it's so good to 'see' you here!! Glad you're back---hopefully to stay! Thumbsup You have been missed! Wink
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 2:10 am

Misti wrote:
I loved "The Thorn Birds" both the movie & the book and I did not like "The Missing Years" especially with a different Meggie.

An interesting fact (that y'all probably know); IRL, Rachel Ward (Meggie) and Bryan Brown (Luke O'Neal) are married, having gotten together either during The Thorn Birds" or after it was over.

I have to say that neither of them aged very well.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!   THE 80s THEME PARTY!!! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

THE 80s THEME PARTY!!!
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next