Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Winter Olympics

Go down 
+9
HarrisonCrosby4387
Carol
Gin
Teresa
Lori
LIWnut
Rob
Kristina
Amy
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : Winter Olympics - Page 3 Goodsi10

Winter Olympics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 5:56 pm

Amy wrote:
I like Davis and White...I think they're the ones who train here in Bloomfield Hills, right? Unfortunately they go to that school with the ugly colors that shall remain nameless. Whistle

Yup, them's the outlaws. Winter Olympics - Page 3 129986 The big stars, Belbin & Agosto, used to train in Michigan, too, but I think they relocated to Pennsylvania.

Amy wrote:
It's a BIG dea and an honor to be a part of itl!!

Shhhh! Don't mention the DEA! I'm doin' some undercover work for the Drug Enforcement Agency. Winter Olympics - Page 3 771460

Winter Olympics - Page 3 85barney
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Winter Olympics - Page 3 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Rob!! laugh3 Doh, busted again!! Yikes

Oh, that's right---I'd forgotten Belbin & Agosto had too. Not even sure where anyone stands right now in the ice dance. It's on again tonight! Then ladies skating is on Tuesday and Thursday. This is seriously screwing up my regular TV viewing!! I can't even find time to watch the shows I've been recording! help

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 11:02 pm

I'm watching the aerial skiing right now.

My question is: How do you get good at this sport without killing yourself in the process?? It seems like a catch-22. The only way you can do it well is if you practice... but if you practice without already being good at it, you'll break your neck. Winter Olympics - Page 3 988160
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 am

WOW. I missed that Rob....I've been watching most of the night, but missed this. Seriously---how DO you get good at this sport???? thud I don't think I get it either! scratchead What always goes through my head when I see something like this is, "I wonder what this person's parents are thinking right before they take off for the jump." I don't think I could handle it if my kid took up a sport like this. Yikes

Hey Rob---I've been watching the ice dancing, and they showed Katarina Witt in the audience! OhMy I just about keeled over---#1 because we were just talking about her, and #2 because I hadn't seen her in a zillion years! And #3, she looked fantastic and hasn't aged!! OhMy

OH, and I just heard them say that Meryl & Davis trained in Canton, MI, not Bloomfield Hills like I posted before.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 1:09 am

Oh my gosh....well, that was the best ice dance competition I've ever seen! Davis and White were wonderful, but Virtue and Moire (the Canadians) were unbelieveable! They skated to Symphony #5, which was Ekaterina Goordeeva's first single skate in the skating special, "Sergei Grinkov, Celebration of a Life". It was choreographed by Marina Zueva, who choreographed G&G, and choregraphed that skate for Ekaterina! I saw many simililarities between theirs and Katia's performance, and you could tell that Scott & Tessa incorporated many of G&G's moves, which was really neat to see. They totally deserved to win gold! By the way, Marina Zueva choreographed Davis and White too! What an accomplishment for her!

BOTH the gold and silver medalists train in Canton Michigan! Talk about the pride of Michigan!!! bravo

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 1:24 am

The Canadians were amazing! I was happy to see them win. And yeah, that adagio movement of Mahler's 5th is beautiful. And... how cool a name is Tessa Virtue?? Winter Olympics - Page 3 811339

I wasn't crazy about Belbin & Agosto's costumes. Looked like they were on their way to a bullfight. And the Russians' costumes... Winter Olympics - Page 3 68167

The women start tomorrow, right?
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 9:00 am

Rob wrote:
And... how cool a name is Tessa Virtue?? Winter Olympics - Page 3 811339

That is one heck of a name, right there! yes They looked SO happy up there on that podium---what a moment. Oh Canada is such a gorgeous song. I get emotional hearing their song! greenS It stinks that we don't have a moving anthem like that (IMO, anyway). My family has always thought that America the Beautiful should have been our National anthem.

Oh, those Russians. Whistle Um, interesting. It was funny, the announcer commented on their costumes being contraversial because of the roping being used for lifts. Ahem, that's not what I noticed in particular.... Whistle

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 9:39 am

I missed most of the ice dancing unfortunately. Yawn I caught glimpses of Davis and White, but I did see the Canadians and the Russians. The Canadians were awesome.

Winter Olympics - Page 3 Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 9:57 am

Rob wrote:
And yeah, that adagio movement of Mahler's 5th is beautiful.

LOL, you can tell I was tired last night...I suppose there are a lot of "Symphony #5's! HeeHee

Lori, I've never been that into the ice dancing, but last night was pretty exciting! The sport certainly has improved, as far as making it more interesting. I have never seen a dance pair like those Canadians though.

I felt badly for Belbin & Agosto though. I don't like that the Russians were able to use that roping. I think the audience was upset about it too---there was hardly any applause when they did the tricks using those.

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 11:25 am

Amy wrote:
LOL, you can tell I was tired last night...I suppose there are a lot of "Symphony #5's! HeeHee

Well, in skating, when you say "Symphony #5," I think most people know you mean Mahler. Winter Olympics - Page 3 70708
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:03 pm

True enough. Wink

Oh, and I forgot to reply to you...yes Rob---the ladies short program is on tonight! Can't wait! Applause

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:04 pm

I just wanted to get Gustav's name in there because he's my favorite composer. I have nearly all of his symphonies on DVD. And you know how expensive those are. Winter Olympics - Page 3 68167
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:09 pm

HeeHee That's really cool though....you sure do have a wide range Rob---from Rap to classical! Not everyone can say that!

I'm guessing you've heard about this, but there is a Canadian skater whose mother just died suddenly, on Sunday. She was there at the olympics to watch her daughter (her only child) compete, and suffered a heart attack. The daughter has decided to skate. (I don't remember her name...I think last name is "Rouchette", or SLT). I just can't imagine. No

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286
Mood : Winter Olympics - Page 3 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:16 pm

My husband was telling me about that last night, Amy. How tragic! I'm sure that her daughter wanted to skate in a tribute to her mom. I'm sure that's what she would have wanted. It would be hard not to skate, after training so hard for 4 years. I'm sure that it will be really difficult for her.

Winter Olympics - Page 3 TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:31 pm

That's what they were saying Teresa...when you're a parent of a figure skater, your whole life is given over to helping them realize their dream. Her mother would most certainly want her daughter to skate. I just can't imagine the level of concentration and focus needed to perform, not to mention just holding it together during what is sure to be an outpouring of love from the Canadian audience. It's going to be tough.

~Mother Teresa

Last edited by Amy on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Amy wrote:
Oh Canada is such a gorgeous song. I get emotional hearing their song! greenS It stinks that we don't have a moving anthem like that (IMO, anyway). My family has always thought that America the Beautiful should have been our National anthem.

Let's just attack Canada and take their anthem. Winter Olympics - Page 3 570976
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 5:43 pm

When are they going to have the wagon races or the hay twisting contests? LOL

I've been watching the curling. I think all the nose rings are really helping them balance well. bravo

Winter Olympics - Page 3 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Winter Olympics - Page 3 Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 6:29 pm

[quote="Amy"]

Oh Canada is such a gorgeous song. I get emotional hearing their song! greenS It stinks that we don't have a moving anthem like that (IMO, anyway). My family has always thought that America the Beautiful should have been our National anthem.(quote]

Gee Amy, I like your anthem. It tells a historic story. I'm glad that you like our Canadian anthem. It is very special to me too.

Winter Olympics - Page 3 MarilynKeeper Winter Olympics - Page 3 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 9:01 am

Joanie Rochette did a great job last night. I was wondering how she would do since it looked like she was about to cry before her skate. That was probably the best she could have skated.

Did anyone else see that Plushenko has awarded himself a platinum medal?

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 10:35 am

Plushenko is such a sore loser! I just read an article that said that he hasn't created a new medal. The story is supposedly untrue.

Last edited by Teresa on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 10:41 am

Rob wrote:
Amy wrote:
Oh Canada is such a gorgeous song. I get emotional hearing their song! greenS It stinks that we don't have a moving anthem like that (IMO, anyway). My family has always thought that America the Beautiful should have been our National anthem.

Let's just attack Canada and take their anthem. Winter Olympics - Page 3 570976

Sounds like a plan! happy1 yesss

LIWnut wrote:
Gee Amy, I like your anthem. It tells a historic story. I'm glad that you like our Canadian anthem. It is very special to me too.

It does tell a story, I agree...it's most definitely patriotic. But for me, the tune is not terribly 'moving'. Maybe it comes from years of hearing this song slaughtered by various recording artists. Yikes

Lori wrote:
Joanie Rochette did a great job last night. I was wondering how she would do since it looked like she was about to cry before her skate. That was probably the best she could have skated.

It was yet another late night for me...I don't know how I'm managing these days! She was incredible, I agree Lori! Most skaters would have fallen apart on the ice. Not only did she land her jumps, I really enjoyed her program! It's pretty bad when you're rooting for a Canadian skater to win bronze over your own American girls. LOL! I'm sorry, I can't help it! I figure our girls are so young---there will be other olympics. But gosh, to think that Joanie has a chance to medal, and to do this for her mom...I just have to cheer for her. It sure would be weird though if our U.S. girls didn't medal---it would be a first since Dorothy Hamill that the U.S. hasn't medaled in an olympics. OhMy

And what is this about Plushenko?! I haven't heard! thud

~Mother Teresa

Last edited by Amy on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 10:43 am

I just posted above you, Amy, that the rumor is supposedly untrue. I looked it up online. He's still a sore loser, though. LOL!

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 10:45 am

Oh ok....that's pretty sad someone made that up. It certainly would be believeable though. Whistle

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 pm

Teresa wrote:
Plushenko is such a sore loser! I just read an article that said that he hasn't created a new medal. The story is supposedly untrue.

That is good that it is untrue. I saw it on Yahoo yesterday and it said on his website he gave himself a platinum medal.

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 1:19 pm

Well it sounds more like it would be a TRUE story, given the way he's been acting through all of this. Has he not watched the tapes back, comparing his program to Evan's? Oh, that's right, it doesn't matter to him that Evan had a cleaner program, the only thing that matters is the quad.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter Olympics   Winter Olympics - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Winter Olympics
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next