Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Merlin Olsen Passes Away

Go down 
+18
david
pat1964
highwayangel
ChristinaAL
Rob
poo_cat
jes9
HarrisonCrosby4387
carolineingalls
Teresa
Kristina
bethandmanly
Gin
Misti
Carol
Amy
Samantha
Lori
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

Merlin Olsen Passes Away Empty
PostSubject: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:02 pm

I just heard on the radio that Merlin Olsen died.  He was 69.  No other details about his death were given.

Merlin Olsen Passes Away Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Samantha
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Samantha

Number of posts : 199
Mood : Merlin Olsen Passes Away Mornincoffee

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:11 pm

An article from the San Francisco paper. He had a form of cancer that is usually caused by exposure to asbestos. :-(

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/03/11/sports/s084610S39.DTL&tsp=1

Merlin Olsen Passes Away SamanthaKeeper

"Music is a Kind and Truthful Speech"
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Merlin Olsen Passes Away Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 2:10 pm

I just heard. 69 is just too young. I am so very sorry to hear this No ....he was a wonderful man. I am so glad that he has been honored by his homestate several times this past year. I didn't even realize he'd been ill.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Merlin Olsen Passes Away Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Wow... sad Blue

Merlin Olsen Passes Away Horses10
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Merlin Olsen passes away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 3:28 pm

Pro Football Hall of Famer Merlin Olsen dies at 69

Merlin Olsen, a Hall of Fame defensive lineman and member of the Los Angeles Rams' "Fearsome Foursome" who followed up football with a successful television career in "Little House on the Prairie," NFL broadcasts and commercials, has died. He was 69.

Utah State, Olsen's alma mater, said he died outside of Los Angeles early Thursday after battling cancer. He was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer of the lung lining, last year.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell issued a statement lauding Olsen as an "extraordinary person, friend and football player."

"He cared deeply about people, especially those that shared the game of football with him," Goodell said. "Merlin was a larger-than-life person, literally and figuratively, and leaves an enormously positive legacy."

Olsen was an All-American at Utah State and a first-round draft pick of the Los Angles Rams in 1962.

The giant from northern Utah joined Deacon Jones, Lamar Lundy and Rosey Grier on the Rams' storied "Fearsome Foursome" defensive line known for either stopping or knocking backward whatever offenses it faced. The Rams set an NFL record for the fewest yards allowed during a 14-game season in 1968.

Olsen was rookie of the year for the Rams in 1962 and is still the Rams' all-time leader in career tackles with 915. He was named to 14 consecutive Pro Bowls, a string that started his rookie year.

Olsen was also an established television actor with a role on "Little House on the Prairie," then starring in his own series, "Father Murphy," from 1981 to 1983 and the short-lived "Aaron's Way" in 1988.

Olsen was a consensus All-American at Utah State and won the 1961 Outland Trophy as the nation's best interior lineman. The Rams drafted Olsen third overall in 1962 and he spent the next 15 years with the team before retiring in 1976.

Utah State honored Olsen in December by naming the football field at Romney Stadium "Merlin Olsen Field." Because of his illness, Olsen's alma mater didn't want to wait until football season and made the announcement during halftime of a basketball game.

Olsen was well enough to attend, but did not speak at the event. He stood and smiled as he waved to fans during a standing ovation and chants of "Merlin Olsen!" and "Aggie Legend!"

Utah State is also planning a statue of Olsen at the southeast corner of the stadium.

"This was the voice of a man who not only became one of our country's most decorated athletes, but also one of the most accomplished and respected people ever to hail from the state of Utah," said Stan Albrecht, president of Utah State.

The Rams also honored Olsen during a game Dec. 20, with a video tribute narrated by Dick Enberg, Olsen's longtime broadcast partner. Olsen did not attend because of his health. His name was already part of the Ring of Fame inside the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis along with other franchise standouts.

He was voted NFC defensive lineman of the year in 1973 and the NFL MVP in 1974, and was voted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1982.

Merlin Olsen Passes Away HummerMerlin Olsen Passes Away MistiKeeperMerlin Olsen Passes Away Bookclub5Merlin Olsen Passes Away Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Merlin Olsen Passes Away Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Oh no! I'm so sad. He was such a sweet loving man. Prayer go out to his family.

Merlin Olsen Passes Away Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Merlin Olsen Passes Away Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 3:49 pm

Oh my word, I didn't even know he was sick. How very sad. Thanks for letting us know.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 3:50 pm

I was just reading Misti's post on this too. How sad. He was young.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7863

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 4:31 pm

very sad news No my thoughts are with his family and friends
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 5:12 pm

Very sad. 69 is way too young. I loved watching him on LHOTP. He had such an accomplished football career.

Merlin Olsen Passes Away TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

Number of posts : 1209
Mood : Merlin Olsen Passes Away Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:17 pm

SO sad to hear this news. Merlin played such a great character in Little House and I believe he was aa sincere gentleman on and off the set. Thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

Merlin Olsen Passes Away MaureenKeeper

"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : Merlin Olsen Passes Away Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:01 pm

That really sucks! I am so sad. bawling

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 pm

That’s very sad, RIP Merlin. My thoughts are with his family.
Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Sad news indeed. I didn't know he was ill. I don't remember his playing career, but he was great as an analyst on NBC's NFL coverage, and he did a great job playing the character Jonathan Garvey. NBC had a report on tonight's news, including a brief statement by Melissa Gilbert. I was going to post a link to it, but it appears NBC has taken it down from their web site. I found the link, but when I tried to play it, it said, "Video no longer available."

I'm very slowly making my way through the LHotP DVDs, at the pace of about one or two episodes a week. I'm only in season 1 now and like watching the episodes in order, but I think I'll pull out one of the Merlin Olsen episodes, like "The High Cost of Being Right", to watch tomorrow.

Merlin Olsen Passes Away JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
poo_cat
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 89
Mood : Merlin Olsen Passes Away Innoce10

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:54 pm

I just read about this, so sad! This link has 3 pics of him..

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/11/merlin.olsen/index.html?section=cnn_latest

If you had some bacon, you could have some bacon and eggs, if you had some eggs ~ Joe Walsh
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : Merlin Olsen Passes Away Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 12:01 am

Neat pics. Thanks, Andrea.
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:59 am

I saw that on Good Morning America this morning and I was very saddened by it Blue I didn't know he was ill so it was surprising to me too. My prayers are going out for his family.

Merlin Olsen Passes Away ChristinaKeeper2 Merlin Olsen Passes Away 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
highwayangel
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 26
Mood : Merlin Olsen Passes Away Innoce10

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 3:23 pm

I found out as a result of a google alert on my. Michael Landon topics. Whenever there is any news about Michael or other related stories, I receive these topics sent to my email account. I was very sad to hear the news. A hall of fame football star and a very good actor somewhat underrated. He was part of the fearsome foursome as a. Los Angeles Rams player, and a gentle giant off the field. So glad his good friend Michael Landon brought him to the prairie and then created. Father Murphy for him , which I also have on dvd.
Back to top Go down
pat1964
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 81

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 5:53 pm

I read about Merlin Olsen's passing also. Such sad news. He was a good man. R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
david
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
david

Number of posts : 3584
Mood : Merlin Olsen Passes Away Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 1:12 am

Rest in peace, Merlin Olsen. "Father Murphy" was a terrific series, and I watched the pilot episode as a tribute after learning of his passing. As for his connection to "Little House on the Prairie," my favorite Merlin Olsen episode is "The King is Dead".
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Merlin Olsen Passes Away   Merlin Olsen Passes Away EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Eric, who is a huge LHOP fan, made this tribute video of Merlin Olsen.