Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Family Relationships Chart

Go down 
+9
Gin
JW
alexczarn
Amy
Lori
bethandmanly
Rob
Vanesa
Carol
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Family Relationships Chart Happy010

Family Relationships Chart Empty
PostSubject: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 2:58 pm

You learn something new everyday!!!

So my cousin tells me that I am really her aunt and not her cousin.
Her mother and I are 1st cousins (our dads are brothers). I ALWAYS thought that if my 1st cousin had a baby, that baby would be my 2nd cousin. I even looked online at the family chart and sure enough... I was right.

Family Relationships Chart CousinChrt

BUT... her mom kept insisting that I was her aunt. So then I learned that family relations differ from societies! I always thought this would be the same for everybody! Well.. this makes things more confusing I think lol

Well, she is right. According to a family relationship chart I found ... I AM her aunt!

Family Relationships Chart 500px-Relatives_Chart_es.svg
Ego = Me
Primos carnales = first cousins (to the left)
Sobrinos segundos = Nephews/Nieces (one down)

So I tell her that when she comes to the U.S. I am to be her cousin... and when I go visit her in Mexico, I am to be her aunt! Laughing

*I don't know how many of you guys have seen the movie 'SELENA' with Jennifer Lopez. In one of the scenes, Abraham begins an inspired rant about how Mexican Americans have to be more Mexican than Mexicans and more American than Americans. "We've got to know about John Wayne and Pedro Infante...Oprah AND Cristina. American food is too bland and yet when we go to Mexico we get the runs!" Selena responds, "It's a good thing we have frijoles and tortillas to give us strength for the job ...and menudo!" As we see later, Selena actually fortifies herself with a diet of Doritos and pepperoni pizza. She has become assimilated while maintaining a certain Latino identity within U.S. commercial culture.

I can say that it's true as I live it lol
I know about all the American Actos and Latin Actors, music, etc... If you don't know who a latin singer/actor is, then the latin friend says, "I can't believe you don't know who they are? Mami, you are Hispanic!!" lol If I don't know who an American singer/actor is, an American friend might say "What rock have you been hiding under? You do live in the U.S. right? It has happened to me...
So I gotta keep up with both... entertainment, news, sports, food, etc ... My brain sometimes doesn't remember it all. And now I have to add Family relationships to the list! LOL It's weird having her treat me as an aunt when I think of her as a cousin... HeeHee

Family Relationships Chart Horses10
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Family Relationships Chart Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Wow, Carol! What a mix up! One can't be sure of anything in this world and we are always learning things...

But now, I'm afraid I discovers that my mother is really my daughter or something.... thud

Vanesa.

Family Relationships Chart Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 6:42 pm

laugh3 Vanesa!
Well let's see... in Argentina... would you say that I'm this girl's 2nd cousin or aunt????

Her mother and I are 1st cousins.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62620
Mood : Family Relationships Chart Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Carol wrote:

Family Relationships Chart CousinChrt

To quote Chevy Chase: It was my understanding that there would be no math. Family Relationships Chart 988160
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 12:18 am

Vanesa wrote:
But now, I'm afraid I discovers that my mother is really my daughter or something.... thud

Vanesa.

I've got one better for you, Vanesa. I'll go slow, because it can get confusing. My father remarried after my mom passed away. His wife was much younger than him and they had two boys together. I began dating a guy named John when I was a teenager. When I was almost 19, I gave birth to my son, John Jr. John and I split when Jr. was 18 months old, and years later, my father and his wife (my step-mother) also separated and divorced.

My son's father ended up marrying my father's second wife. So, that means that my two half-brothers are my son's step-brothers. This also means that my ex-step-mother is now my son's step-mother. So, when Jr. wants to tick me off, he says, "Hi Sis." banghead

Last edited by bethandmanly on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Wow! That's unbelievable, Cheryl!

Family Relationships Chart Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 6:10 pm

What a story, Cheryl! OhMy And John Jr. has a great sense of humor, I think... Wink

Vanesa.

Family Relationships Chart Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 6:40 pm

He better have a good sense of humor. He couldn't stand to be part of this family otherwise. greenS

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Family Relationships Chart Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 10:55 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
Vanesa wrote:

Vanesa.

I've got one better for you, Vanesa. I'll go slow, because it can get confusing. My father remarried after my mom passed away. His wife was much younger than him and they had two boys together. I began dating a guy named John when I was a teenager. When I was almost 19, I gave birth to my son, John Jr. John and I split when Jr. was 18 months old, and years later, my father and his wife (my step-mother) also separated and divorced.

My son's father ended up marrying my father's second wife. So, that means that my two half-brothers are my son's step-brothers. This also means that my ex-step-mother is now my son's step-mother. So, when Jr. wants to tick me off, he says, "Hi Sis." banghead

I think I'll read this in the morning after I've had my coffee. Morningcoffee Toodles HeeHee

Carol, I'm totally lost, but again, it's just too late for me. greenS But I wanted to say, I saw Selena like three times, and I remember that scene well. And I can totally see your point, that that's how it is with Latin Americans. You really gotta know you're stuff! Laughing By the way, I truly loved that movie....it's when I found out that Jennifer can actually act! OhMy

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 12:14 am

bethandmanly wrote:

WOW; man that is confusing. Took me several reads to figure it out.

Family Relationships Chart Alexke11
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 12:18 am

Is it any wonder I'm a writer? I couldn't make stuff like this up.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Family Relationships Chart Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 1:30 am

bethandmanly wrote:
Vanesa wrote:

Vanesa.

Hey Cherly thats pretty interesting Is that really true though? Huh?

Family Relationships Chart Jacobk10Family Relationships Chart Jacob210
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 9:48 am

JW wrote:
bethandmanly wrote:
Vanesa wrote:

Vanesa.

Hey Cherly thats pretty interesting Is that really true though? Huh?

It is Jacob. Strange, but true.
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Family Relationships Chart Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 10:05 am

My family is looking pretty good right now Laughing

Family Relationships Chart Jacobk10Family Relationships Chart Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 10:27 am

Family Relationships Chart Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 10:35 am

JW wrote:

ROTFL

And Lori, after that song, Cheryl's family saga seems much less confusing! Yikes (and LOL, love the word "widder". HeeHee ).
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 11:28 am

JW wrote:

Laughing

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 1:49 pm

JW wrote:

At least you know the grass isn't greener on this side of the hill.

For a while my son and my two brothers all went to the same peditrician. Which wouldn't have been bad, except, since I wasn't married to my son's father, I had the same last name as my brothers. Imagine the billing nightmares that caused. thud
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62620
Mood : Family Relationships Chart Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 2:18 pm

Always fun to bust a professional writer. Family Relationships Chart 811339

bethandmanly wrote:
peditrician

Family Relationships Chart Knotts04-mayberry
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 2:22 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
JW wrote:

At least you know the grass isn't greener on this side of the hill.

For a while my son and my two brothers all went to the same peditrician. Which wouldn't have been bad, except, since I wasn't married to my son's father, I had the same last name as my brothers. Imagine the billing nightmares that caused. thud

HeeHee

and.....

Rob wrote:

bethandmanly wrote:
peditrician

.... HeeHee
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 2:52 pm

WOW.....yes, that could all get confusing. Those were the days before eharmony I guess. lol

Family Relationships Chart Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Gin!!! laugh3
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm

Rob wrote:

bethandmanly wrote:
peditrician

As Almanzo would say, "Dagburnit!"
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Family Relationships Chart Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 10:17 pm

wow.That's confusing alright!!

MY cousins that have kids.I just count has my 2nd cousins.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 10:51 pm

This is the funniest thread we've had in a long, long time! I loved the song!

I have another, though less confusing, story!

David's brother, Lynn, married a woman named Patricia. Patricia's mother's name was Mary. Henry & Patricia had 3 daughters. Mary was their grandmother.

David's dad, Henry and his wife, (David's mother), Ruth, got divorced. Years later Henry married, Mary.

So in a nutshell, Mary was Lynn's mother-in-law & step-mother.
Mary was Patricia's mother & mother-in-law.
Henry had an inlaw through marriage & later, a wife.
Lynn's girls had a grandma & a step-grandma! grinsmiley

Family Relationships Chart HummerFamily Relationships Chart MistiKeeperFamily Relationships Chart Bookclub5Family Relationships Chart Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Family Relationships Chart   Family Relationships Chart Empty

Back to top Go down

Family Relationships Chart
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next