Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The sound of children.

Go down 
+8
Lori
Gin
Samantha
littlehouselover
Ruth
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Vanesa
Krissy
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : The sound of children. Headac10

The sound of children. Empty
PostSubject: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Mary is expecting a child. Smile She thinks adam & his father are becoming closer.But he is only interested in the baby.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 9:41 pm

This one is just so sad.Poor mary

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : The sound of children. Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 11:42 pm

Yes...Poor Mary...and poor Adam! When he was beginning to believe that his father was interested in him, he discovered he was not and was still ashamed about his blindness... No

Vanesa.

The sound of children. Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 2:22 pm

Vanesa wrote:
Yes...Poor Mary...and poor Adam! When he was beginning to believe that his father was interested in him, he discovered he was not and was still ashamed about his blindness... No

Vanesa.

I felt bad for poor adam.

Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : The sound of children. Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 12:07 am

This was sad......I really felt for Adam

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
Ruth
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ruth

Number of posts : 2916
Mood : The sound of children. Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 3:07 am

Sooo sad this one..I wish the writers made the storyline so one of Mary's babies lived...Especially her baby in this one-It would have a cute 3-year-old by the time the Kendalls disappeared.

Leaves The sound of children. RuthKeeper Leaves
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Ruth wrote:
Sooo sad this one..I wish the writers made the storyline so one of Mary's babies lived...Especially her baby in this one-It would have a cute 3-year-old by the time the Kendalls disappeared.

same with me. Smile

Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 4:00 pm

I think in this case, it was a good call not to make her have children..she never did and although she never married either, it wasn't as bad as adding children and nieces and nephews that never existed. All the biological children existed for Charles and Laura.

I found it hard to believe that 2 blind parents could raise a child especially back then, at least alone or with just Hester Sue. What if the child has a rash or was eating something it shouldn't, it ran in the creek or just away...had spots and you couldn't see them. If Adam got his site back and then they had a child, it would have been more believable,but realistically, Mary couldn't raise one without sight very well.
Back to top Go down
Samantha
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Samantha

Number of posts : 199
Mood : The sound of children. Mornincoffee

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 3:40 pm

I think with a sighted person (Hester-Sue) living with them, Mary having a baby was completely plausible. Blind parents can and have successfully raised sighted children. This was a fictional Little House anyways....so much of what happened on the show didn't happen in real life. Being parents added another dimension to their characters and would have given them more story lines on the show. After the fire, they kind of became background characters,which was too bad. I guess Michael Landon really wanted to focus on the Laura/Almanzo relationship.

This article is long...but worth skimming.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/aug/01/familyandrelationships.features11

The sound of children. SamanthaKeeper

"Music is a Kind and Truthful Speech"
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : The sound of children. Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 6:09 pm

I couldn't stop reading this! That is amazing. Thanks for sharing the link.

The sound of children. Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 pm

That link was very interesting...thanks, but it must have been hard in many ways, easier than the 1800s. I think Michael just didn't want to change the biological children, he concession to the original story...as much as he changed it in other ways.
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 am

That was a good article!

The sound of children. Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : The sound of children. Purple2

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:11 am

I felt sorry for Mary loosing the baby and during her grieving wondered how much more she has to put up with by not only being blind, but loosing a baby and I felt sorry for Adam. Poor guy thinking his father had finally accepting his blindness only to learn he was intrested in the baby when he offerd Adam a chance to go to law school, then deciding to leave after Mary lost the baby. No
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:19 am

Spanky wrote:
I felt sorry for Mary loosing the baby and during her grieving wondered how much more she has to put up with by not only being blind, but loosing a baby and I felt sorry for Adam. Poor guy thinking his father had finally accepting his blindness only to learn he was intrested in the baby when he offerd Adam a chance to go to law school, then deciding to leave after Mary lost the baby. No

I felt mad for mary too.doesn'tseem fair.
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 9:57 pm

I forgot, she lost this baby. Then, she has another baby, that died in the fire. Poor Mary.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
reneerose
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
reneerose

Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 11:10 pm

Samantha wrote:
I think with a sighted person (Hester-Sue) living with them, Mary having a baby was completely plausible.  Blind parents can and have  successfully raised sighted children. This was a fictional Little House anyways....so much of what happened on the show didn't happen in real life.  Being parents added another dimension to their characters and would have given them more story lines on the show.  After the fire, they kind of became background characters,which was too bad.   I guess Michael Landon really wanted to  focus on the Laura/Almanzo relationship.

This article is long...but worth skimming.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/aug/01/familyandrelationships.features11

That is a great article! The show should have taken on this sort of storyline and had Adam and Mary raising a sighted child. LHOTP really dropped the ball on this one.

This episode was so nicely done. At the end when Adam tells Mary that he told his father they weren't going with Mr. Kendall Sr. to New York was a lie...probably wouldn't have done Mary any good to know the truth anyhow and left her with the impression that Adam's father was not as bad as he had told her he was. So Adam was protecting her by not letting her know his father really hadn't changed at all. I loved the end scene between them, they didn't get very many strong scenes to play like that and when one came along like this one it was sweet and precious.
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7855

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. EmptyThu Feb 23, 2017 6:10 pm

I am watching this episode on TV tonight, and when Mary is trying to tell Adam that she is having a baby he says "okay, don't start without me" as he is leaving the room Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The sound of children.   The sound of children. Empty

Back to top Go down

The sound of children.
Page 1 of 1