Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54

Go down 
+11
Gin
Amy
Honeybee
bethandmanly
Rhonda
Krissy
Shell
littlehousefan200
Rob
alexczarn
Debbie
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Xmassm4

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Empty
PostSubject: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 6:45 am

Wow, how sad.. I really admired his art.. No

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Thomas_kinkade-6

SAN FRANCISCO — Artist Thomas Kinkade, whose brushwork paintings of idyllic landscapes, cottages and churches have been big sellers for dealers across the United States, died Friday, a family spokesman said.

Kinkade, 54, died at his home in Los Gatos in the San Francisco Bay Area of what appeared to be natural causes, David Satterfield said.

Kinkade’s sentimental paintings, with their scenes of country gardens and churches in dewy morning light, were beloved by middlebrow America but reviled by the art establishment. He claimed to be the nation’s most collected living artist, and his paintings and spin-off products were said to fetch some $100 million a year in sales, and to be in 10 million homes in the United States.

Kinkade made multiple appearances in the midstate and spoke to crowds at the Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts. Kathie's Christmas & Collectibles in Lower Allen Twp. has a Thomas Kinkade Signature Gallery.

Kinkade's paintings generally depict tranquil scenes with lush landscaping and streams running nearby. Many contain images from Bible passages.

“I’m a warrior for light,” Kinkade, a self-described devout Christian, told the San Jose Mercury News in 2002, in reference to the medieval practice of using light to symbolize the divine. “With whatever talent and resources I have, I’m trying to bring light to penetrate the darkness many people feel.”

Before Kinkade’s Media Arts Group went private in the middle of the past decade, the company took in $32 million per quarter from 4,500 dealers across the country 10 years ago, according to the Mercury News. The cost of his paintings range from hundreds of dollars to more than $10,000.

A biography on his website states that Kinkade rejected “the intellectual isolation of the artist” and instead, made “each of his works an intimate statement that resonates in the personal lives of his viewers.”

“I share something in common with Norman Rockwell and, for that matter, with Walt Disney,” he said. “In that I really like to make people happy.”

Kinkade was born and raised in Placerville, Calif. He studied at the University of California at Berkeley and the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena.

“Thom provided a wonderful life for his family,” his wife, Nanette, said in a statement. “We are shocked and saddened by his death.”

Last edited by Debbie on Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 7:58 am

That's very sad. I saw that on Facebook earlier today.

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 8:01 am

A real shocker. No
Back to top Go down
littlehousefan200
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
littlehousefan200

Number of posts : 6161
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Confus10

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 9:11 am

How sad. No
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 11:01 am

bawling How sad. He was a gifted artist. May he Rest In Eternal Peace. My deepest sympathies to his family.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 11:42 am

very saad Blue

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 12:12 pm

I heard this on the news early this morning and wasn't sure if I had heard it right.....The world has lost a wonderful and talented artist and his friends and family have lost someone very special to them.....Praying for comfort to his family suring this time.... Blue

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Rhonda10Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 2:00 pm

I was shocked when I read it a few moments ago. I loved his work.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 3:38 pm

What? That's my mom's favorite painter. She has the wall calendar on the side of the fridge.

I love his paintings too.

RIP Thomas Kinkade.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 3:53 pm

I can't even believe it. I always wanted one of his paintings. So very sad....way too young. His paintings are going to go WAY up in price now. :( Ironically, Lisa just bought a large Thomas Kinkaide library edition print for her mom last week at an antique store!

What a loss. No
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 4:04 pm

What a legacy he leaves. The movie "The Christmas Cottage" tells his families story. Its a wonderful movie if you don't have it. Fifty-four is way too young.

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 4:25 pm

I agree,way to young to die. Smile He did have lots of pretty stuff.

Lisa is lucky to have gotten one.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Julia
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Julia

Number of posts : 1871
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 9:55 pm

I saw that on Twitter. I was shocked....

"The beauty of a woman is incredibly radiant when she finds her identity, her confidence, & her hope in Christ alone. "  

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 JuliaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Amy wrote:
I can't even believe it. I always wanted one of his paintings. So very sad....way too young. His paintings are going to go WAY up in price now. :( Ironically, Lisa just bought a large Thomas Kinkaide library edition print for her mom last week at an antique store!

What a loss. No

I was so shocked when I read about it - I feel so bad for his family. It's hard to lose someone so close to a holiday. Although, Easter really is a wonderful reminder that they aren't saying a final goodbye to him - that they'll see him again. And the painting I bought was the next thing that came to my mind. I'm glad that I was able to get it for Mom.

Fifty-four is just so young.
Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 488555
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 12:46 am

MissYoungClassic wrote:

Are you on Twitter?

Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 1:40 am

Blue I was Very Shocked when i heard it Its just to young i love his Paintings i always wanted one but as Amy said the prices will go up now i also loved his books

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Jacobk10Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Julia
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Julia

Number of posts : 1871
Mood : Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 2:11 am

alexczarn wrote:
MissYoungClassic wrote:

Are you on Twitter?

Yes, and Tumblr.

"The beauty of a woman is incredibly radiant when she finds her identity, her confidence, & her hope in Christ alone. "  

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 JuliaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:15 am

Lisa wrote:
[color=darkblue]I was so shocked when I read about it - I feel so bad for his family. It's hard to lose someone so close to a holiday. Although, Easter really is a wonderful reminder that they aren't saying a final goodbye to him - that they'll see him again.

Very true....it is the holiday of hope, and hopefully that can be a comfort right now.

JW wrote:
Blue I was Very Shocked when i heard it Its just to young i love his Paintings i always wanted one but as Amy said the prices will go up now i also loved his books

I have one of his picture books, that show a lot of his paintings. A beautiful 'coffee table' book. And yes, I think I can only hope to have a print at this point....I remember way back when, my hubby & I stood in a gallery and came close to buying a canvas. Now I kinda wish we'd just done it. But yeah, even the prints are going high right now---I was checking ebay out last night, just to see. Lisa found hers for only $35....WHAT a deal!
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:39 pm

I found one of these in my local Thrift Store the other day it was only 50 cent so i snatched it up it has no real Value But i think it might be as close as i ever get to own a Painting or a Print of His

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 1

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Jacobk10Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Oh, that's lovely, Jacob! Quite a deal, too.

It's good to see you on the board. I've missed you.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 7:29 am

Heard today that Thomas Kinkade died of an overdose......It was a mix of alcohol and prescription drugs....what a shame! No

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Rhonda10Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 7:40 am

That is taking too many of our talented. It has got to stop!

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 7:42 am

Gin wrote:
That is taking too many of our talented. It has got to stop!

And youth!

Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 10:48 am

Blue That us So Sad

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 11:33 am

Wow, that is sad Blue

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Horses10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54   Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54 Empty

Back to top Go down

Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light,' dies at 54
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next