Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?

Go down 
+14
Prairie Dweller
alexczarn
HarrisonCrosby4387
Savannah
julmer70
Kamberley
Amy
Debbie
bethandmanly
Deem714
Krissy
Joe
Vanesa
MissOleson
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Indiff10

Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Empty
PostSubject: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Looking that the Twitter thread, I thought about this. As my title asks, am I really the only one NOT on Facebook?

I have honestly never had much interest in joining. I kind of like my anonymity. I really do. I can be honest and open about things in my life (to a certain extent), but I don't like my name being all over the place (yes, I have googled my name and I am quite unhappy with the numbers of results that come up with it! mad ). I can be open about some things and nobody knows exactly who I am. There are those people that I actually let know my first name (sometimes they are allowed to know the last name, too - but they are few and far between). If other people don't mind doing it, that is OK. Everyone can do what they want. I don't care. I just can't imagine myself being so "open" like that.

And, yes, there are a lot of people in my life that I kind of don't want to bother with anymore. One person wouldn't leave my brother alone on Facebook and that was just to get to me. No, he never acknowledged her. And that was fine by me. Another one contacted my father and I had no choice but to say something to her.

I like my life being what it is now. I don't really know anyone from my past that I want to talk to anymore. I really don't want them contacting me just to brag about their lives. That is really my reason (that and the fact that I don't want my name all over the place) for not joining.

And if you aren't a member, people act like you're crazy. I can't possibly be the ONLY one, can I?

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 12:56 am

In fact, most of people I know AREN'T in Facebook. You are not certainly the only one.

Vanesa. Smile

Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Innoce10

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 3:45 am

Yes, you are. Submit.

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 9:16 am

Your not,My mother doesn't have a FB. Laughing

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Deem714
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 68
Mood : Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Party010

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:16 am

I was on it but I couldn't get off fast enough! I had joined because I had found out they had these games that looked like fun, imparticular the farm one and the SIMS style one. So I join and set up the games and then I get a message from a college friend asking mt to send him a gift for his SIMS person... so I do, and delete the message. About a half hour later I swing by and notice a message from the same friend.... Thanks for the gift, send another....
Um, NO!!! Greedy smeghead!!

That wasn't the only reason I deleted my account. My other sisters were on anong with my mother and one sister talked to me (the sister I like) and I read the page on my other sister's site and I was just disgusted. She had posted pictures of her and her boyfriend (now husband) on vacation and her oh, so lovely friends had posted a list of what could happen when they got back... This is what disgusted me.... She could come back knocked up. Not pregnant KNOCKED UP!!! My mother was on Facebook for crying out loud!!! What happened if she had caught that???
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 4:01 pm

That's definitely the problem with Facebook. People don't use discretion and post things you would never want to know about them. I'm on there mostly for business. I'm fairly sure no one cares what I had for lunch, when I'm going to the doctor, or who I might be mad at on any given day.
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 4:43 pm

People should really watch what they post on FB.Then you wounder why ppl complain about comments ppl give them.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Xmassm4

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm not on it.. If I were, it would only be for the games. Smile
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Joe wrote:
Yes, you are. Submit.
I don't event think a Jedi mind trick would make me join! Smile

Deem714 wrote:
I was on it but I couldn't get off fast enough! I had joined because I had found out they had these games that looked like fun, imparticular the farm one and the SIMS style one. So I join and set up the games and then I get a message from a college friend asking mt to send him a gift for his SIMS person... so I do, and delete the message. About a half hour later I swing by and notice a message from the same friend.... Thanks for the gift, send another....
Um, NO!!! Greedy smeghead!!

That wasn't the only reason I deleted my account. My other sisters were on anong with my mother and one sister talked to me (the sister I like) and I read the page on my other sister's site and I was just disgusted. She had posted pictures of her and her boyfriend (now husband) on vacation and her oh, so lovely friends had posted a list of what could happen when they got back... This is what disgusted me.... She could come back knocked up. Not pregnant KNOCKED UP!!! My mother was on Facebook for crying out loud!!! What happened if she had caught that???
It is for reasons like you listed that I don't want to be a member among many others, too. I am happy not being on there. I just get tired of hearing "Why aren't you on Facebook" or "You're not on Facebook YET?". That is NOT a reason to join, though. So, since I really am not the only one without an account, I feel a quite a bit better. Smile

bethandmanly wrote:
I'm fairly sure no one cares what I had for lunch, when I'm going to the doctor, or who I might be mad at on any given day.
That is what I think. Seriously, I don't think people care too much about what I do. I know I definitely don't care to read about everything going on in all of their lives all the time. And I am pretty sure they have NO interest in my life. I have come to the conclusion that a lot of people (not ALL people, of course) join it to find others from their past and then brag about what their lives are like now. I really do think that some of those people think others really do want to know everything that is going on with them. scratchead

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Well,Don't let someone talk you into getting one.I'm sure sooner or latter the whole FB crazie will be done and over with. Smile

Back to top Go down
Deem714
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 68
Mood : Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Party010

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 8:31 am

Incidentally... those of you who have gone on... Do you see the picture of the "guy who started it all" I think he was my last boyfriend, the moron certainly looks like him! BLEGH!!!
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 12:33 am

What I hate the most of Facebook are men who are incientally in your list of "friends", and who pops up to chat with you and after a few minutes of chat, they began to ask about sex and intimate issues. mad Ranting banghead

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 7:39 am

OhMy I haven't had that happen, thankfully! Vanesa, are these people you actually consider 'friends', or is this some kind of facebook privacy issue?
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 10:48 am

I never had that happend.But i had this guy on my friends list add me then sends me a PM asking me for my number.I never gave.Then this girl on her list asks me to add her.

Back to top Go down
Kamberley
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kamberley

Number of posts : 628

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 1:51 pm

The whole thing seemed so narcissistic to me when it first became popular. I agree with the sentiment of who cares what your eating or if your at the bar. I do find it useful to keep in touch with family that is out of state.

Vanessa I keep my chat turned off all the time Smile

I wonder what will be the next thing in social internet
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 10:22 am

Yeah.The sayings some ppl post are just things i don't care to know.

Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 10:28 am

I keep my chat off too. I'm also VERY private on FB and only friends/family on there can see my pictures...or even send me a private message. I'm on it on weekdays more than on weekends because I go in it from time to time when I'm on a break at the office (like now). Lately though, I find myself coming to this site a lot more. I'm actually getting quite bored with FB...and while there are good things about it; it can also be used to hurt people...and I don't like that. I'm grateful to it because I now keep in touch with all my old school friends (I've even found friends as far back as elementary school). I have re-connected with very special people in my life. But, there are drawbacks too.

One thing that's REALLY annoying me lately is the back & forth political posts/ads over there! My friends constantly post them. It doesn't matter which party...I'm sick of it either way! Then of course if someone from the opposing party sees it, there's a good excuse to start an argument. Annoying! I never get involved and I usually just end up "hiding" all these posts...but it's really starting to aggravate me. I'm actually liking Twitter more! How much longer do you think FB will last? I'm pretty sure it will eventually receive the same fate as myspace.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Kamberley wrote:
The whole thing seemed so narcissistic to me when it first became popular.

It has the potential for helping to create an extremely self-important attitude in teens especially. I have several young friends on my Facebook list, and I'm blown away by how many pictures (almost always self-portraits, I might add) that they post of themselves. It's like a visual representation of them standing in their room shouting "Me, me, me!". And then they say, "I don't think I'm self-centered. Do you?" Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? 29545 I like Facebook for being able to keep in contact with family, and good friends, but it certainly has its drawbacks.

As for the original question. *shrugs*
As long as you don't want a Facebook account, it really wouldn't matter even if you were the only one not on there. If you don't want one, that's your choice. It doesn't matter what anyone else does or thinks.

Kamberley wrote:
Vanessa I keep my chat turned off all the time Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? 811339

Me, too. I do all of my chatting in Words with Friends. Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? 135245
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Some teens just use FB for the attention i guess.

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 12:05 am

Amy wrote:
OhMy I haven't had that happen, thankfully! Vanesa, are these people you actually consider 'friends', or is this some kind of facebook privacy issue?

They are technically "friends". But I've add to my list because they asked me to and they were part of groups of history, writing, music ain which I'm a member too. Soy, I add them to keep speaking about history, writing, TV, art, etc, etc...They seems to be perfcetly polite when they are in those books, but when they contact you by chat, they uses to become..well...ermh...impolite. And they make me have a very unpleasant and embarrasing moment. mad

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 12:20 am

I am not on it, I think its a waste of time and nothing but people bragging and seeing who can post the most and best pictures. When I was on it, nobody on my friends list ever talked to me anyway

Not2 mention that i had some guy start hitting on me after making
the mistake of posting a picture in my bikini. there are some freaks on
there
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 9:47 am

I HATE that chat thing too

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 1:59 pm

sweetkrissy2011 wrote:
I HATE that chat thing too

Did you know you can turn that off, Krissy? I have mine set to 'off'. Smile
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm

ya,i know i did that

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:46 am

I actually DIDN'T know...I'll do it! Thank you! Smile

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?   Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook? Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I Really the Only One NOT on Facebook?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next