Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question about ages of the posters...

Go down 
+7
Joe
Rob
bethandmanly
Kamberley
Amy
Savannah
Deem714
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Deem714
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 68
Mood : Question about ages of the posters... Party010

Question about ages of the posters... Empty
PostSubject: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:00 am

Hi everyone. I was just wondering what age are the youngest people posting on this board? Only because every time I post and I talk about the nonsense I have to put up with teaching 7 year olds my posts get edited. I was warned about swearing and such (the joke thread) by the moderators but I think we should all know just how OLD the youngest poster on her is...

I am in no way upset with my posts getting edited, but when I write the word c*r*a*p and it gets edited out... I think that is a little bit much. I don't think a grade schooler is posting here and sometimes benign descriptive language really is the ONLY way to get a point across.

I guarantee you, it is nothing these children haven't heard on the school bus.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Question about ages of the posters... Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Question about ages of the posters... Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:30 am

The age of the youngest poster here really is beside the point. (Although, I believe that our youngest member is nine-years-old.) The point is, you've asked to join our prairie family, and we have a set of standards that we've held in place here - some of us for over a decade. We enjoy having a little haven where there isn't cussing, swearing or dirty jokes. We like coming to a place where we can feel safe in letting the youngest of children come and play. We like knowing that when we come here, we aren't going to be barraged by the same junk that we're faced with in the rest of the world. The kids may have heard that kind of thing on the school bus, but I can guarantee you that they haven't heard it here - and we're pretty doggone proud of that. When you first joined here, you said that you'd left the IMDB board partly because of the abuse there. So if you like this board, doesn't it seem like a small sacrifice to abide by the simple request that the moderators have made? Even if it makes it a bit of a challenge for you to write your posts without "descriptive language". I guarantee you that we are all intelligent enough to get your point without that being used.
Back to top Go down
Deem714
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 68
Mood : Question about ages of the posters... Party010

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:44 am

No it isn't beside the point. The moderator mentioned how children are on here. How can a question I am making be beside the point? I am making the point.

It is hard to NOT tell the literal truth of what I have to see, hear and deal with.

Edited by moderator
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Question about ages of the posters... Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 5:11 am

Well, like it or lump it, those are the standards here. They have been since this board began over ten years ago. Our moderators work hard to keep this board as gentle, clean, friendly and drama-free as it is, and I'm thankful for that. As you'll notice above, your question was answered. Our youngest member is around 9-years-old. But honestly, even if there weren't children here, I enjoy coming to a place where people have enough respect for the board rules (which is really the main point here) and for the feelings of others here that they don't use that kind of language to get their point across.

You've been given a simple request, and mentioned that you've been warned by a moderator. (And quite frankly, that is a rarity for our board.) If you look on the main board, the owners have stated:

Quote :
(Reminder: Offensive posts will be deleted & offending users reminded, warned or banned as needed)

Is it really more important to you to cuss or write "misspelled" foul words in your posts than it is to follow the rules here and continue to be able to post on the board?
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Question about ages of the posters... Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 8:38 am

I couldn't possibly agree more, Lisa. And honestly Deem, this could easily have been a private message to a mod, not open for 'conversation' within the main forum, which leads to drama, which we are not about here. It's a rule, so be it....like Lisa said there are many of us who've been here for over a decade and managed to keep it super family friendly here, all while getting our point across. There is a 'tone' here that you don't find on most other boards, and we certainly aren't going to lose that now, after so many years here together. I think most everyone else here appreciates that the mods are firm in their stance on this subject. Keep in mind, you are on a Little House on the Prairie board...obviously there are going to be younger children here, and the adults who frequent it are fans of probably the most wholesome show ever aired.
Back to top Go down
Kamberley
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kamberley

Number of posts : 628
Mood : Question about ages of the posters... Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 9:07 am

Several years ago I joined a fan forum that only allowed adult women to join. They had very strict rules. We were not allowed to discuss the actors personal lives, which really annoyed me sometimes because those actors had juicy personal lives! HeeHee I didn't like all the rules but I stayed in the group because I enjoyed the discussions & the group.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Question about ages of the posters... Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 am

Kamberly wrote:
Several years ago I joined a fan forum that only allowed adult women to join. They had very strict rules. We were not allowed to discuss the actors personal lives, which really annoyed me sometimes because those actors had juicy personal lives! I didn't like all the rules but I stayed in the group because I enjoyed the discussions & the group.

I've been on one of those too. Maybe we were on the same one. HeeHee

Deem714 wrote:
I guarantee you, it is nothing these children haven't heard on the school bus.

I wasn't going to, but I have to respond to this.

Does that make it right?? Do you speak in front of your children with the same language as some of your mod-edited posts? I have two grown boys....I have never used 'school bus' language around them just because 'I know' that they have already heard it on the school bus, or in school. Lord knows that they have....that doesn't give a parent an excuse to talk however they want. Why would I want to harm them further with bad or inappropriate language at home?? Reinforcing the negative aspects of their lives is not on our 'to do' list as parents. It's our job and our duty to lead by example, as responsible adults. I wrote yesterday on Krissy's 'kids thread' how I believe parents today are missing 'teachable' moments...doing what's 'easier' and not necessarily what is the right thing to do, the thing that will help kids develop into healthy adults. Using appropriate language in front of children is one of those things that not only should adults do, it should come naturally. If their own parents use language in front of them, along with the school kids, of course they're going to use the same language when they're older! Again, as far as the board goes, I agree with Lisa that it doesn't matter what age the youngest kid is, or even if there were none at all. We as adults have a right to choose not to be around inappropriate language. But I'll tell you right now, if I did have younger kids who wanted to participate on a forum, THIS would be the one. We not only have mama bears here, we have papa bears, which is a pretty rare and special thing.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Question about ages of the posters... Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 11:39 am

Amy wrote:
There is a 'tone' here that you don't find on most other boards, and we certainly aren't going to lose that now, after so many years here together. I think most everyone else here appreciates that the mods are firm in their stance on this subject. Keep in mind, you are on a Little House on the Prairie board...obviously there are going to be younger children here, and the adults who frequent it are fans of probably the most wholesome show ever aired.

I have to agree with you ladies. Each forum has its own set of rules. As members, we are required to abide by them, regardless of how we interact outside of the forum. I swear like a sailor. I'm not proud of it, but I admit it. I don't do it here because I know it's not acceptable to everyone and it's one of the rules.

This is a great forum, and the mods should be applauded for creating an environment where people of all ages are welcome. It's a true testament to the show's legacy. I would hate to lose that 'tone' everyone has worked so hard to create.
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : Question about ages of the posters... Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Amy wrote:
It's our job and our duty to lead by example, as responsible adults. I wrote yesterday on Krissy's 'kids thread' how I believe parents today are missing 'teachable' moments...doing what's 'easier' and not necessarily what is the right thing to do, the thing that will help kids develop into healthy adults. Using appropriate language in front of children is one of those things that not only should adults do, it should come naturally.

I agree with this. And as the saying goes, it never hurts to act a little better than you really are.

Then Amy wrote:
We not only have mama bears here, we have papa bears, which is a pretty rare and special thing.

And we protect our young, too. We just don't get the good press that the mamas get. Question about ages of the posters... 771460
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : Question about ages of the posters... Innoce10

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Deem, I'm not speaking for you (I can't) but I am a very vulgar man. That does not mean that I am not a decent and loving human being. I joined this community and it quickly became a haven for me, like an oasis. It's a nice place to visit, considering whats out there, in the 'real' world. That's my take on it anyway.

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

Question about ages of the posters... Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Posts are edited on this board at the discretion of the moderators because we have people of all ages on here; including children.

Question about ages of the posters... HummerQuestion about ages of the posters... MistiKeeperQuestion about ages of the posters... Bookclub5Question about ages of the posters... Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : Question about ages of the posters... Xmassm4

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 6:57 pm

This forum, to me is a place to come and enjoy myself without worrying about or seeing the evils of the world. Just be careful what you post, and you'll have no problems.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Question about ages of the posters... Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 7:51 pm

I agree with everyone.Sorry!!

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 2:07 pm

I love this forum; THAT'S why I left imdb in the first place..because I couldn't stand the rudeness over there. Plus, NOTHING is done about it there! I'm glad the moderators here keep an eye on things. I don't even bother to go to imdb anymore (at least not the LH board over there) because of all the nastiness and the hate. This board is NOT about that. There are some really great people here and it's a wonderful escape. It's a breath of fresh air! It's nice to go into a place with no bad language for a change! Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Question about ages of the posters... Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 5:19 pm

ok!Good

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about ages of the posters...   Question about ages of the posters... Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about ages of the posters...
Page 1 of 1