Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Natural remedies for headaches?

Go down 
+6
Krissy
Kamberley
JW
Shell
Rhonda
Debbie
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : Natural remedies for headaches? Xmassm4

Natural remedies for headaches? Empty
PostSubject: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 7:04 pm

I have been suffering with a headache for 4 days now. I really don't want to take pain killers, but I just can't stand this anymore. Also, the pain seems to get worse when I lay down which makes sleep impossible. Anyone know what could be causing this?
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21163
Mood : Natural remedies for headaches? Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Sounds like a migraine...have you ever had one before? My middle boy suffers with them and I hurt for him when he has one....I feel so helpless.... Huh?

Natural remedies for headaches? Rhonda10Natural remedies for headaches? Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Have you been sensitive to light and sound during your headache?

I hope you feel better soon. Sorry to hear that you are suffering from a nasty headache.
Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 9:51 pm

More so to light than sound. When I stand up too fast it gets worse as well.

Rhonda, I don't think I have ever had a migraine, but if this is one I NEVER want to experience this again.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 9:53 pm

It sounds like that is what you have.....I know Marilyn and Lisa have them a lot....you might PM them and compare notes.....My son can't STAND the light when he has one.... Yikes

Natural remedies for headaches? Rhonda10Natural remedies for headaches? Lauram10
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Natural remedies for headaches? Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Headaches are bad, But once was told putting a Banana Peel on your Forehead would make it go away, I have never tried it i found it rather hard to believe but who knows it might help Smile

Natural remedies for headaches? Jacobk10Natural remedies for headaches? Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Kamberley
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kamberley

Number of posts : 628
Mood : Natural remedies for headaches? Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 pm

I like to put ice packs on my head when I get a really bad one. I don't know if I just start thinking about the cold but it helps some. Hope your feeling better
Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 7:28 am

Well, I still have this headache. It still gets worse at night, during the day it is just a dull pain. I did go to the Dr on Monday and she told me to take 600-800mg of Advil as needed and also gave me a muscle relaxant. NOTHING seems to be helping... Would a migraine last this long? I'm starting to get really worried now, it has been 8 days now...
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Natural remedies for headaches? Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 11:02 am

I've heard of ppl having them for days but doesn't sound good.Hope it goes away soon.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 11:46 am

Yes Debbie, migraines are stubborn headaches that hang on and on, just because. My grandma wrote a book on old folklore remedies, and for headaches it said to slice a lime in half and rub it on your forehead. I do not know if this works, but at this point, you will probably try anything. Below is what I found on Dr. Oz's website:

Cluster Headaches

The pain of a cluster headache is often described as an ice pick in the head because of its concentrated stabbing feeling. The name comes from the fact that the headache occurs in a cluster of days over several weeks. The pain is often followed by a runny nose or fever, so they are often known as “histamine headaches." Cluster headaches are common in the winter due to temperature changes.

Solution

Capsaicin Cream

The active ingredient in this cream is cayenne pepper. Apply a small amount to the inside of your nostril that’s on the side of your head where you are experiencing pain. The cream works to block nerve pain signals. This effective remedy can be purchased for about $11 in a health food store.

Migraine Headaches

This one-sided throbbing pain causes sensitivity to light and sound and may cause nausea. Migraines run in families and women are three times more likely to have them than men. Experts believe that migraines may be caused by nerve signals that the brain misinterprets as pain.

Solutions

Feverfew

In clinical trials, this supplement from the sunflower family has been shown to be effective for treating migraines. It reduces inflammation, which takes pressure off the nerves and helps to prevent migraines entirely. It costs around $12 and comes in capsule form.

Acupressure Massage

This ancient Chinese healing method involves applying pressure to certain points on the body to relieve pain. Place your finger in the depression between your first and second toe and press firmly for 3-5 minutes.

Butterbur for Migraines

One of my favorite remedies to help prevent migraine headaches is the herb butterbur (Petasites hybridus), which appears to help stabilize irritable blood vessels that may contribute to migraine pain, as well as offer anti-inflammatory actions. In one trial, researchers found that taking 75 mg of butterbur daily over 4 months cut the incidence of migraine headaches nearly in half. In addition, butterbur is an effective agent for the treatment of hay fever, also known as allergic rhinitis. It is not unusual for people to develop headaches in association with their seasonal allergies, and butterbur might help in this instance, too. Only buy products that are labeled “PA Free,” meaning they do not contain pyrrolizidine alkaloids that can damage the liver. A reasonable adult starting dose for the prevention of migraine headaches would be 75 mg twice a day with meals. Some people may need to increase the dosage to 100 mg twice daily for symptom relief.

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Natural remedies for headaches? Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : Natural remedies for headaches? Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Natural remedies for headaches? 18022 Debbie, I'm so sorry that you're in so much pain. I can definitely relate. Yes, as Rhonda said, migraines can last that long. Magnesium, ginger capsules, feverfew, and eyebright are what have helped me when I've had severe migraines. Also, watch carefully what you're eating - and what makeup you're using, believe it or not. Mascara is a HUGE trigger for me. I don't wear it a lot, but when I do, I have to have a hypoallergenic brand like Almay, or I have horrible migraines.

In foods, watch out for MSG, TBHQ, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, and BHA or BHT. Those are known triggers for migraines.

If you've started using a new perfume, a new laundry detergent, or a new soap, try rotating it out of use and see if the migraine stops.

I sure hope you feel better soon. I feel so bad for you! I know exactly what you're going through.
Natural remedies for headaches? 410460 Keep us posted. I'll be praying for you.
Back to top Go down
Kamberley
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kamberley

Number of posts : 628
Mood : Natural remedies for headaches? Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 am

I'm praying you get some relief Debbie! Maybe call the doctor & tell them it's not working. They have rx meds for migraines.
Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Thank you ladies. I did some research on all of the remedies you have mentioned. i think I have narrowed it down to Feverfew and Butterbur (A brand name I ran across was Petadolex, which claims it contains no PA's which can cause liver damage.) Can these be bought in the healthy / organic section of a grocery store, or must I visit a specialty store?

Savannah, I would have never guessed that such things can trigger migraines. I have just recently changed my laundry detergent, I always used the sensitive skin formulas and this time I tried a scented one. Also today I opened a new bottle of body spray from B&BW and my head is hurting more than usual at this moment.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Natural remedies for headaches? Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:07 pm

I had no idea that all that things can cause headaches either. No idea make-up could.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Sorry to hear you are still sufffering from a horrible headache. Prayers to you, Debbie. I hope it goes away soon.
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565
Mood : Natural remedies for headaches? Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 11:59 pm

I get headaches. Changing of the weather. Sinus infection & that time of the month. Before it starts. I sometimes will take CVS liquid pain medication. Sometimes that will work. If, my other pain medication Ultram (Tramadol) Doesn't work. I also use Relief! by Gabriel Botanicals Just apply on to back of your neck, forehead, and temple. (by the hairline.) He's from Romeo, MI. Not sure, he's in busy or not. The bottle cost $10.00 I think, we bought this small bottle over 2 years ago. It's quarter full.

Sometimes, I put ice pack on my head. When it's shower night. I use the shower head as massage. just relax my body.

I type the website address. Doesn't have website anymore. Not sure, where to get the Relief! at.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 8:25 am

It seems now, that I am getting relief from the headache during the day, but it hits me full force in the middle of the night. I'm just really feeling low now, I don't want to live like this forever..
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Did you happen to wash your sheets in the new laundry soap? You might have to redo them and see if that helps. scratchead

Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 9:01 pm

No, actually I didn't use the new detergent on the sheets.. I hope tonight will be better..
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 12:28 am

The scented laundry soap maybe the cause. I have to use laudry soap made for senitive skin. I can't use perfume or body spray due to skin and upper respitory allergies. You may have allergies to scented laundry soap and body spray. You can get allergy headaches. Will keep you in my prayers.

I get headaches when I'm stressed and very tired.
Back to top Go down
Deem714
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 68
Mood : Natural remedies for headaches? Party010

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Sometimes the only cure is asprin/tylenol...

Make sure you are eating properly. Many times I would get a hunger headache. I used to be able to just eat something and it would go away. Now I need to couple it with some type of medicine.

Try the Salonpas patches. They are like HeadOn2.0

As that morbid kid in Kindergarten Cop said... It might be a tumor...
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 am

With a migraine, though, Tylenol/aspirin alone won't do anything. I speak from ugly experience. A lot of times those herbal remedies are the only things that help.

When I was getting cluster headaches, "tumor" was the first thing that several people mentioned as a possibility. (Which, quite honestly, was about the last thing I needed to hear at that point - but I'm sure that they were trying to be helpful.) But it's pretty rare for headaches/migraines to be related to a tumor. It does happen, but it's best not to borrow worries like that when there are so many other much more likely (and much less frightening) causes.

If I were you, Debbie, I'd stop using any kind of fragranced or perfumed items - hand lotions, body spray, soap (Dial antibacterial soap gives me HORRIBLE migraines)...and see if that helps. And check to see if there's any new food or drink that you've started having on a rather regular basis lately. It could be a food-trigger, too.

One more thing that I hadn't thought of before - you might see a chiropractor. Sometimes migraines even, not just headaches, can be triggered by your neck or back being slightly out of place.

Keep us posted, Debbie! You're in my prayers.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 11:12 am

I hope you're doing better, Debbie. You've been in my prayers.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Natural remedies for headaches? Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Wow, sorry I missed this thread! Debbie, I hope you are doing ok!

I used to suffer migraines several times a year and I agree with the others that it certainly sounds like that's what you had.

I very rarely get them anymore....in my particular case we tracked them to Diet Coke. I never thought I had that much but I figured out pretty quickly after giving it up altogether that they triggered the migraines somehow, and had read that this was the case for many people.

I found this online....just had to share! Lisa will get a kick out of this! HeeHee

http://migraine.com/infographic/12-things-you-should-never-ever-say-to-a-chronic-migraineur/
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Natural remedies for headaches? 135245 Oh my goodness! Amy, that link! I'm very blessed to have (mostly) understanding people in my life. The only one of those slides that I wouldn't really agree with is #10...I don't mind at all when people offer suggestions to me - and I've suffered from migraines my entire adult life. I've done as much research as I can, but hey - if something works for someone else, I'm MORE than willing to try it, if it's safe, and I appreciate their concern.

I had no idea that the government offers disability to those with migraines! I can understand why, though. It really is completely debilitating. If it's a mild one, I can sometimes get through work with it, but often it knocks me unconscious with no warning. And if you're getting them on a regular basis, what company is going to keep an employee who is regularly missing work?

I sure hope you're doing better, Debbie!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Natural remedies for headaches?   Natural remedies for headaches? Empty

Back to top Go down

Natural remedies for headaches?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next