Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD

Go down 
+7
Kamberley
Debbie
Amy
bethandmanly
Honeybee
LIWnut
Savannah
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 Bokmal10

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 11:46 pm

Amy wrote:
Cheryl, I am officially glad that you are not writing Downton Abbey. Yikes HeeHee Have mercy, girl!! thud (I actually think you need to fear Lisa and her pan on this one. Whistle Laughing ).

laugh3 You should read what the other guy on the forum wrote. Lots of dying there too.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 8:27 am

She must not be reading this thread, she hasn't posted in ages. I know, she is busy with her mom. We miss you Lisa, prayers for your mom.

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 MarilynKeeper Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 11:14 am

LOL Cheryl! I think I'll pass! I can't even deal with the angst of this season as it is! scared Laughing

Yep Marilyn, Lisa's got too much going on right now, but she'll be back. Hear that Cheryl? Be afraid. Be veeeeeeery afraid! affraid (Plus, you messed with her Bates. She loves Bates & Anna. Yep, it's safe to say, you're in trouble. HeeHee ).

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:08 pm

So ladies, Sunday night's episode was the one where Thomas was outed. Here are some of my thoughts.

I'm on the fence about this episode. Loved the Thomas storyline and the Matthew/Mary one where they are each going to the doctor without the other's knowledge to see where the fertility problem lies. I wish Mary would have told Matthew what the problem was. I'm guessing a blocked fallopian tube or something. I also thought Matthew's insecurity was so sweet when Mary tells him that's why she hasn't been "interested" in him. "I thought you had gone off me." As if she willingly stayed away from the love of her life. It's hard seeing them so in love in this episode when one knows what will happen in the next one.

I think this episode with Jimmy will change Thomas in some ways, but I'm afraid he might become consumed with his revenge on O'Brien. Seeing previews of the next episode, I see where Thomas helps Jimmy out, but my first thought was to wonder if Thomas staged it so that Jimmy would trust him again. We'll see.

The more I see of Tom, the more I like him. His revolutionary ways aren't gone, but events have tempered him a bit. Matthew is more of a hot head these days than Tom is. I'm glad they'll be staying at Downton. The scene between Cora and Tom at the cricket match where he asks her if she would mind if they stayed until Sybil was older was so touching.

They are making Rose out to be a nitwit. She's a selfish, spoiled, annoying girl. My mommy and daddy aren't paying attention to me, so I'll act up. There is something more meaningful they could do with a flapper story. They also could have paired her up with a single man instead of a married one. Just because she is more liberal with her sexual favors doesn't mean they have to be given to a married man. I wonder if this part is intentional: showing how Edith and Rose differ in their relationships with married men; kind of like here's the old way and here's the new.

One storyline I didn't care for was the Bates one. For nearly three seasons Bates has been painted as a sympathetic character. He was injured in the war. Lord Grantham takes him in despite his disability, and Thomas is merciless in his cruel attempts to get Bates fired. He is unjustly accused of Vera's murder. While in prison, he is set up and abused, forcing him to go into self-preservation mode. Joanne Froggat, who plays Anna, said in an interview that Anna and Bates are popular because they are good people. I think Bates has changed and he's not as appealing--at least to me--as he was originally.

Bates returns home, unsure of how people will react, especially Thomas Barrow, who will be out of his job as Lord Grantham's valet. Robert doesn't expect him to go back to work right away, instead telling him to rest and read some good books. Bates's first reaction to the inside of the cottage is not one of gratitude. He complains about it. It's Anna's optimism that makes him see the possiblities. Yes, he goes to bat for Barrow, but even that doesn't come with good intentions. Bates figures his assistance will allow Barrow to move out of Downton into a new position elsewhere. Honestly, I'm glad things worked out the way they did. Let's see if Bates likes being Barrow's subordinate. And even in some ways Anna has changed, because she was so kind to Thomas after Lady Sybil's death, but here she is wondering why her husband is helping him out. I'm glad she supports her husband, but it's like Bates's presence clouds her judgment.

I doubt I'll feel good about how this season ends, but hopefully there will be a few bright spots.

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 11:43 pm

It was a good episode. I must admit that I watched it on Thursday. I see and understand things better the second time that I see it.
I am sorry that Dan Stevens decided to depart from the show and what a way to end his character. I am so sorry to Lady Mary for the life that she must lead now as a new single mom. How grateful she will be to have a family to help her.
Glad to hear that all of the other cast members have signed on for season 4. It will a loooong wait til the next season airs.

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 MarilynKeeper Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 1:12 am

I truly wish they had recast the part of Matthew. It will seem so wrong without him.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Marilyn, if you haven't watched the finale yet, read ahead at your own risk! OhMy

I know what you mean, Cheryl. bawling

But I couldn't have watched a re-cast Matthew. I just can't change gears like that---I'd rather something happen with his storyline, even if it means death. cryB It would have been just as dramatic to me as seeing Sully re-cast for Michaela in Dr. Quinn. (Well, maybe a little too severe of an analysis, but that comes to mind Wink ). SO much of Matthew & Mary relies on chemistry, and that was felt from the moment they met. Not every actor is going to connect with her in that way---you either have chemistry or you don't---and the audience has to be willing to feel it and accept it even if it was there, and I don't see that happening. But yeah, NOT easy to see this season finale. The whole season was filled with angst.

I read your other post last week but haven't had a chance to reply. Ironically when you wrote about that episode, I had just finished the 're-watch' of that episode the night before. So it was fresh in my mind. It will have to wait though.

So what did you think of the final episode? One thing my English friend didn't like was that it was a Christmas special but was set in summer. Yikes Um, yeah. scratchead

I guess for me, I really enjoyed a lot of the other aspects of the show, even though in the back of my mind I was preparing for the big Matthew scene. The first time I watched it the whole episode was spent wondering WHAT was going to take him. I thought for sure he was going to be in a hunting accident, then thought it would be in a train accident. I was SO glad they let him have that time with Mary and his child---shocked, but so glad. Love It was a beautiful moment. And honestly, I am GLAD I knew in advance it was going to happen. I had time to prepare for it and know what was coming. I would have been even more distraught had I gone from THAT amazing scene to the end. thud At least with Sybil, even though I was shocked they were going to kill off a main character such as her, I could see as soon as the doctor said she had swollen ankles that it was eclampsia and she was probably going to die. I DEFINITELY knew once the baby lived. Up until that point I knew it was going to be either her or the baby. But nothing would have clued me in that we were about to lose Matthew, if I didn't know ahead of time.

I was going to say that the UK audience must have been reeling over this, but my English friend said that there was no hiding from it either---spoilers EVERYWHERE, especially on newspaper stands---front covers even! Yikes

I'll talk another time in-depth on this. But the main things that stick out at me:

Mrs. Hughes is my hero. Love The scene with her and Tom in the library absolutely rocked. Love her.

Tom is officially one of my favorite characters....never saw that coming! Yikes But he's fantastic, and is a wonderful actor too.

Mrs. Patmore's scene with Mrs. Hughes is the bees knees. My jaw actually fell open when she took her hands away from her face and she was.....laughing!! laugh3 I was totally expecting for her to be crying and was ready to be crying WITH her, lol! That was so well played and so unexpected. Again, Mrs. Hughes is quite the woman here.

It's not often I hate a character. HATE. I hate Edna. Ranting

And once again I loved the way Mrs. Hughes handled her, and loved that Tom was strong against her charms. loveheart

Honestly I, like Marilyn, could have lived with out the whole Thomas/James storyline, but this was REALLY well done. The only thing I hated was how 'liberal' the whole thing came off at the cricket match, with Lord Grantham defending him...he almost sounded like a modern day gay activist. Whistle It was just a tad too evolved for my taste, considering the time period. Mrs. Hughes, even though a wonderful person as well, was too evolved for that storyline as well. They were sending a message to the modern day audience here....there was an underlying agenda, and Ididn't care for that. That's not revealing anything about MY feelings on the subject at all, rather what I feel is unrealistic for this time period. Yes, homosexuality existed of course, but I don't believe for a second that it was tolerated in this way.

That said, I rather loved how everything was resolved between Thomas and James in the final episode. The fact that a year had gone by and James was still uncomfortable around Thomas was very realistic. It was important to show the time pass before James was able to accept that Thomas could actually be a 'friend'....that his intentions in saving him from those bullies were honorable. Well, I think so anyway...it may have been self serving, but I want to believe that Thomas does have this other layer to him and isn't 'all bad'. I think he really did care about James at that moment and that it wasn't all about him getting James to see him in another light. I think when James says, "you know I can't give you what you need", and Thomas says he knows that, he is very sincere....he knew when he 'sacrificed himself' to save James that James did not see him in that light at all and never would. At least that's my take on it. Who knows if they'll continue this storyline into next season.

I kind of liked visiting Scotland this episode, and seeing the other castle, which was so very different from Downton Abbey. Still pretty and interesting, but I would choose to live in Downton anyday. Love It's much warmer and cozier, even though it's so huge. It would be a dream come true to visit this place!!

I REALLY wish that Rose had not been cast. Not a fan of the character at all, and I think she's a horrid actress. Just AWFUL. Not sure how they can be so brilliant at casting, and then throw someone who cannot hold their own into the loop. It was like Shirley MacClain. The bad actors really stand out like a sore thumb next to these fantastic ones.

Speaking of which, I really love the actress who plays Isobel, and her character became much more likeable this season too. Some of my favorite scenes in the whole show have revolved around her. Actually, the most touching scene ever for me (and this is a testament more to Matthew than to her, but it still involved her) was when she came to Matthew's beside when he'd been paralyzed, and there was just this change in his breathing when he saw her and he choked out "Mother". Oh LORD does that get me. cryB But she is wonderful and I love that she can hold her own against Maggie Smith, too. Thumbsup NOT an easy feat, I am sure! Yikes

Oh, and Bates & Anna! Loved the dancing scene and the way he looked at her and how they did the slow motion thing. It was very powerful. Gosh, he has such expressive eyes. I just love Brendan Coyle---and it's not only because he shares my son's name. batEyes And oh my gosh, Mosley was hilarious!! Love that scene wit him cutting a rug! laugh3

Well that's it for now! I'm sure there's much more, but that's all I can think of for the moment! Looking forward to hearing what others thought! Smile

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Amy wrote:

I know what you mean, Cheryl. bawling

But I couldn't have watched a re-cast Matthew. I just can't change gears like that---I'd rather something happen with his storyline, even if it means death. cryB It would have been just as dramatic to me as seeing Sully re-cast for Michaela in Dr. Quinn. (Well, maybe a little too severe of an analysis, but that comes to mind Wink ). SO much of Matthew & Mary relies on chemistry, and that was felt from the moment they met. Not every actor is going to connect with her in that way---you either have chemistry or you don't---and the audience has to be willing to feel it and accept it even if it was there, and I don't see that happening. But yeah, NOT easy to see this season finale. The whole season was filled with angst.

This is one of those places where I would have been okay with a recast. Yes, it would have depended upon them finding someone who had similar chemistry with Dockery, but because the Matthew and Mary romance has been vital since the beginning, I would have liked them to attempt to recast. If it didn’t work, then kill off the new guy. greenS

Knowing that they were going to kill him off made the last two episodes harder to watch. They are a young couple, struggling not only with future of DA, but problems within their relationship because both think they are the reason they haven’t had children yet. Mary goes off secretly and has an operation, which she is caught in doing, and suddenly you realize they haven’t been having a physical relationship for a while and Matthew thought his wife that he loved more and more each day wasn’t interested in him. Very touching, especially as the next to the last episode ended with them so very much in love and ready to take on the future. Those romantic feelings carry over to the Christmas special, and in some ways, I felt it was too overdone to make the loss of Matthew more dramatic.

Amy wrote:
So what did you think of the final episode? One thing my English friend didn't like was that it was a Christmas special but was set in summer. Yikes Um, yeah. scratchead

Definitely odd, but then I think about the last LHOP Christmas episode where everyone is walking around Minnesota with no coats on and Almanzo has his sleeves rolled up. scratchead

Amy wrote:
At least with Sybil, even though I was shocked they were going to kill off a main character such as her, I could see as soon as the doctor said she had swollen ankles that it was eclampsia and she was probably going to die. I DEFINITELY knew once the baby lived. Up until that point I knew it was going to be either her or the baby. But nothing would have clued me in that we were about to lose Matthew, if I didn't know ahead of time.

The funny thing is that I was okay with Sybil’s death. I liked her character, but because she was off in Ireland, she was out of sight, out of mind. When she returns and the story line plays out the way it does, you just know it’s going to end badly. And honestly, if Sybil lived, Tom would never evolve the way he has to in order to be accepted in the family.

What I think is a shame is that the character of Rose came out of Sybil’s death. They say she’s not meant as a replacement for Lady Sybil, but when you have Cora fawning all over how she understands what Susan is going through and then she and Susan have that conversation in Cora’s room while she’s in bed talking about Rose coming to stay at Downton, how can one not feel like they are trying to replace Sybil? I don’t like the character of Rose at all, and I’m not sure if it’s the acting or the story line, but I wish she would go away.

Amy wrote:
Mrs. Hughes is my hero. Love The scene with her and Tom in the library absolutely rocked. Love her.

Yep, big Mrs. Hughes fan. She is all over the place in this episode: swaying Mr. Carson to get the boys time off to attend the fair, helping Mrs. Patmore in that ridiculous relationship with the grocer, counseling Tom, and more.

Amy wrote:
Tom is officially one of my favorite characters....never saw that coming! Yikes But he's fantastic, and is a wonderful actor too.

I like him, too. As I said before, Sybil’s death was necessary for him to gain a rightful place in the family without her always needing to go to bat for him, but there were two odd things about this episode. It’s a year after Sybil’s death but Shrimpie and Susan don’t know about him? They don’t know enough even for them to invite him to their home? I don’t buy it. We’re also supposed to assume that he’s been the estate’s agent for a year, but is still struggling with whether he belongs upstairs or downstairs? Maybe he’s fighting where he belongs, kind of like he dresses like the family so he doesn’t have to defend it all the time, but he’s had a year’s worth of support from Robert and Matthew, certainly he must be feeling more like he belongs than he did a year ago. And why, if he was so alone and bored, were there not more scenes of him with Little Sybil? Maybe they couldn’t have used the actress too much, but they could have shown him wheeling around the baby in a carriage on the estate. Though he wishes to act more like a Crawley, he wouldn’t distance himself from his daughter to do it.

Amy wrote:
It's not often I hate a character. HATE. I hate Edna. Ranting

I felt like they only added her as filler for the episode. She was the vehicle for getting Tom to doubt his place in the family. She was the reason we got to see a shirtless Branson in his room, helping to encourage viewers to see him as a leading man because that is the role he will fill after Matthew’s death. But other than that, she was just an annoyance.

One blogger says this season shows the limit of Fellowes’ writing ability. He’s only three seasons in and is reusing or remolding earlier story lines: maid falling in love with an aristocrat, the death of a parent on the same day their first child is born, someone spiking a drink, Mosley drunk, Edith and Mary sparring, and Edith hooking up with a married man. I have to admit to being sick of some of these, too.

Amy wrote:
Honestly I, like Marilyn, could have lived with out the whole Thomas/James storyline, but this was REALLY well done. The only thing I hated was how 'liberal' the whole thing came off at the cricket match, with Lord Grantham defending him...he almost sounded like a modern day gay activist. Whistle It was just a tad too evolved for my taste, considering the time period. Mrs. Hughes, even though a wonderful person as well, was too evolved for that storyline as well. They were sending a message to the modern day audience here....there was an underlying agenda, and I didn't care for that.

Fellowes actually said in an interview that he wasn’t interjecting modern thinking into this story line. He wanted it to ring true for viewers. It seems he’s falling short.

Amy wrote:
That said, I rather loved how everything was resolved between Thomas and James in the final episode. The fact that a year had gone by and James was still uncomfortable around Thomas was very realistic. It was important to show the time pass before James was able to accept that Thomas could actually be a 'friend'....that his intentions in saving him from those bullies were honorable. Well, I think so anyway...it may have been self serving, but I want to believe that Thomas does have this other layer to him and isn't 'all bad'. I think he really did care about James at that moment and that it wasn't all about him getting James to see him in another light. I think when James says, "you know I can't give you what you need", and Thomas says he knows that, he is very sincere....he knew when he 'sacrificed himself' to save James that James did not see him in that light at all and never would. At least that's my take on it. Who knows if they'll continue this storyline into next season.

I have to admit I find this story line fascinating for a couple of reasons. First of all, it lets us know that Thomas has a motive for being a nasty jerk. He alludes to that in his reaction to Lady Sybil’s death, saying not many have been kind to him, but she was one of the few. I can’t remember how much of his backstory we know, but no one is born a total jerk. Something made him who he was. Lack of love and kindness could be part of it.

His attempts to find love are thwarted at every turn, first by Duke of Crowborough, and then the solider he has feelings for commits suicide while Downton is a convalescent home. As he explains to Mr. Carson, a man like him has to read the signs, which puts Thomas at a disadvantage to a heterosexual man who can simply approach a woman about his intentions. This incident with Jimmy and its resolution in the Christmas special work out well, but what amazes me is how anyone could go on working with Thomas knowing he has those types of feelings for him. If Jimmy is so uncomfortable, why didn’t he just find a new job? With First Footman on his resume, he should be able to find something. And what about Alfred? Wasn’t he ticked off that Jimmy was promoted when he might have been the more qualified? Or are we supposed to assume since Alfred likes to cook he’s okay with it.

I’m glad they’ve given Thomas a softer side. It will be interesting to see how his character evolves next season.

Amy wrote:
I kind of liked visiting Scotland this episode, and seeing the other castle, which was so very different from Downton Abbey. Still pretty and interesting, but I would choose to live in Downton anyday.

I liked the change of scenery, but found most of the episode boring. Maybe it’s because I knew what was coming. Maybe it’s because Susan was so darn annoying. And maybe it’s because they are reversing the advances made in Mary’s and Edith’s characters in Season 3.

We get the feeling that though Mary and Edith will never be friendly, after Sybil’s death they have called off the war. Some have said Mary is snippy because she’s pregnant, but I feel there’s more to it than that. I fear that Season 4 will find Mary closer to how she was in Season 1 and 2 now that Matthew is gone. Part of me wonders if this sudden change in her was a way of preparing viewers for what Season 4 will bring and what Fellowes has called the “rebuilding of Mary.” But a tiny part of me hopes that in some ways, her disapproval of Edith’s “friendship” with Gregson is because she thinks Edith is better than that and comes from a genuine concern for her younger and only surviving sister.

I’m furious with what Fellowes has done to Edith’s character. He finally gives her something to do after being jilted and it leads to her potentially becoming Gregson’s mistress. As Matthew put it, Gregson’s situation is tragic, but I can’t see Lady Edith living her life as his lover. Even Edith said there would be no happy ending in it. Doesn’t she deserve some happiness with a man who has no strings attached?

Amy wrote:
Speaking of which, I really love the actress who plays Isobel, and her character became much more likeable this season too. Some of my favorite scenes in the whole show have revolved around her.

I don’t care for Isobel, but I am sympathetic to how Violet seems to get in her way. I fear Isobel has this save the world attitude, but can’t seem to understand that there are some who don’t wish to be saved. I am curious to see how Matthew’s death will affect her in Season 4. And I would still like to see her get together with Dr. Clarkson.

Amy wrote:
Oh, and Bates & Anna! Loved the dancing scene and the way he looked at her and how they did the slow motion thing. It was very powerful. Gosh, he has such expressive eyes. I just love Brendan Coyle---and it's not only because he shares my son's name.

This was fun to watch, but I have to admit Anna and Bates are getting boring. Fellowes said that it’s hard to dramatize happiness, and I think he’s still trying to figure out what to do with this happily married couple. In an interview someone posted on the DA forum, it looks like Brendan Coyle is not getting along with Fellowes over character development. He didn’t want Bates in prison for so long. But now, what the heck is he doing? He’s a head valet with very little air time. Anna was seen in this episode more than he was. He’s relegated to teasing Anna with a picnic basket and fawning over his wife’s ability to reel. I hope Fellowes picks up the pace for them in Season 4, though someone feared the tension between Coyle and Fellowes would lead to Bates being the next one on the chopping block.

Overall, this wasn’t my favorite episode. I felt it contained too much filler (Edna and Branson) and led to the end of Downton Abbey as we know it (minus Matthew). Fellowes has said Season 4 will start six months after the events of the Christmas special, so it will be interesting to see how the characters have changed in the time since Matthew’s death. I hope this will be a good season, but I fear many viewers were lost because of the dreadful and strange way in which Matthew met his end.

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 7:04 pm

On the Masterpiece DA webpage there is a interview with Jaonne Froggart (Anna). Near the end this question is asked:

Daniela :
Are you excited to start filming the fourth season?

Joanne Froggatt: I am really excited Daniela, I think these scripts are the best yet. Julian has done such an incr
edible job.

Hopefully, even tho we have been deeply sorrowed by the loss of Matthew, we will be happy with what is in store for us in the next season.
I read am article naming the next love interest for Mary. He is a popular english actor from another popular show. apparently he is a heartthrob for the ladies already, so maybe we will not be disappointed on this issue either.

Just trying to raise your hopes. If I find that article again, I'll share the link.

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 7:09 pm

I found the link.
Mary's New Boyfriend

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 7:40 pm

I think it's a mistake to pair Mary up again so soon. Granted, it will be six months after Matthew's death when the season starts, but I wonder when he will be introduced. I would rather see Mary adjusting to her new life without Matthew for longer than have her paired with another man.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:14 pm

The actress who plays Rose has been signed on for Season 4. Ugh, I guess she's sticking around a while.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Looks like another cast member won't be returning for Season 4. Sad to hear she's leaving.

Spoiler:

This blog shares Downton Abbey news and has photos from the shooting of Season 4: http://www.downtonabbeyaddicts.com/

Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 Xmassm4

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:12 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
I think it's a mistake to pair Mary up again so soon. Granted, it will be six months after Matthew's death when the season starts, but I wonder when he will be introduced. I would rather see Mary adjusting to her new life without Matthew for longer than have her paired with another man.

I agree with you 100% on that. I really hated to see Matthew go...
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:25 pm

Downton Abbey recap, lol

Ya gotta love this!

Back to top Go down
Kamberley
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kamberley

Number of posts : 628
Mood : Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 11:24 pm

LIWnut wrote:
I found the link.
Mary's New Boyfriend

I don't know how I feel about Mary with a new beau. I really disliked that maid that tried to romance Tom
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 Downst10

This thread was getting buried to I thought I'd share a picture that was posted on FB yesterday.

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:42 pm

I just finished season 3 so I have yet to read this thread, but I just had to come here and say, "Don't kill off Matthew!" It was bad enough that Sybil died. I love Matthew. I don't want him to leave the show. I love his relationship with Mary.

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 9:03 am

Oh Lori, I know!  It's devastating!!No  I still haven't gotten over it.Blue Looking forward to hearing what you thought of season 3, Lori. Have fun reading the spoiler thread now!Thumbsup   I can't believe we still have another 6 months until season 4 airs in the U.S.!!Yikes  ugh.

And by the way, I don't know about you, but I thought the episode where Sybil died was some of the best acting of the series.  Branson, Cora at her bedside, Sybil---everyone was just amazing.  I bawled like a baby in the episode; I just couldn't believe they were killing off such a central main character like that!  Loved Sybil. And Matthew was my very favorite.bawling  I am not looking forward to a grieving Mary in season 4.  How depressing.

Marilyn, such a cute picture!  Thanks for posting it!Smile

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Actually, Amy, my feelings are a lot like yours. I agreed with pretty much everything you said, especially the Thomas/Jimmy story. There's no way Thomas would still have his position after that in that era. Sybil wasn't one of my favorite characters, so her dying wasn't as traumatic as Matthew. I don't think the show will be the same without him. But if he wanted to leave the show, I guess that was the best way to get rid of the character. I just wish Dan Stevens would have seen if there was a way to maybe be in only half the episodes or something instead of leaving altogether. That would have certainly made the fans happier. After I read through the thread, I thought I had missed the Christmas episode on the DVDs. Then I realized that the Highlands episode was what was referred to as the Christmas episode. It didn't seem like Christmas to me. Was there even any reference to it being Christmas? Maybe it was just that it aired at Christmastime.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 8:41 pm

After reading some of the interviews with Dan Stevens about his leaving, I have to say he's not endearing himself to fans of the show. It will be interesting to see what this season has in store for us.

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 10:23 am

No, he's not. I read some articles, too, and according to the comments, a lot of people think he is committing career suicide.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Lori wrote:
Actually, Amy, my feelings are a lot like yours.  I agreed with pretty much everything you said, especially the Thomas/Jimmy story.  There's no way Thomas would still have his position after that in that era.  Sybil wasn't one of my favorite characters, so her dying wasn't as traumatic as Matthew.  I don't think the show will be the same without him.  But if he wanted to leave the show, I guess that was the best way to get rid of the character.  I just wish Dan Stevens would have seen if there was a way to maybe be in only half the episodes or something instead of leaving altogether.  That would have certainly made the fans happier.

Nope, you're right---the show will never be the same.No  Mary & Matthew, as a couple, will always be central to the show's success in MY heart.  I'm sure I'll enjoy it and will never miss an episode, but nothing will replace their storyline for me.

And yes, I have to agree about Dan---I can see his logic behind it, not wanting to be type-cast from here on out, but it still seems like professional suicide to me too.  I haven't read most of his interviews though, Cheryl---what has he been saying that is not endearing to fans? Has he been knocking the show/his character?

Lori wrote:
 After I read through the thread, I thought I had missed the Christmas episode on the DVDs.  Then I realized that the Highlands episode was what was referred to as the Christmas episode.  It didn't seem like Christmas to me.  Was there even any reference to it being Christmas?  Maybe it was just that it aired at Christmastime.

It's been too long for me since I've seen it, but I could have sworn there was a reference.  I remember my UK friend saying it was a Christmas episode and how the UK people thought it was odd that they were airing a Christmas episode in summertime.  

Suddenly I'm feeling a DA re-watch coming on!Thumbsup

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Amy wrote:
And yes, I have to agree about Dan---I can see his logic behind it, not wanting to be type-cast from here on out, but it still seems like professional suicide to me too.  I haven't read most of his interviews though, Cheryl---what has he been saying that is not endearing to fans? Has he been knocking the show/his character?

Not knocking the show really, but here are a few things he's said:

“It is a very monopolising job. So there is a strange sense of liberation at the same time as great sadness because I am very, very fond of the show and always will be.”

"One of my ways of coping with the attention that it has received is to join the ranks enjoying the mania of Downton rather than take the whole thing too seriously. But that is my way with most things. Not to take them too seriously.”

"It's nice that people care, I suppose, about the show, but I had to do what I had to do."

While he admits it was wonderful being part of DA, his attitude about it and the impact of Matthew's death for the viewers has been cavalier at best. I think he tends to forget that if not for DA, few people outside of his native country would know who he is.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 7:05 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
While he admits it was wonderful being part of DA, his attitude about it and the impact of Matthew's death for the viewers has been cavalier at best.

Yes, I see what you mean! Thanks for sharing that.

Cheryl wrote:
I think he tends to forget that if not for DA, few people outside of his native country would know who he is.

Exactly. No 

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD
Page 3 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next