Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"IF I SHOULD WAKE BEFORE I DIE"

Go down 
+10
amyk
easyt72000
Krissy
Robinsgirl
Prairie Dweller
Docfan
Farmer Girl
GrandDuchessOlga
JW
Carol
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 540

"IF I SHOULD WAKE BEFORE I DIE" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "IF I SHOULD WAKE BEFORE I DIE"   "IF I SHOULD WAKE BEFORE I DIE" - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 3:00 pm

I also feel that what she did was wrong, but maybe we should not be too harsh on her, because travel and communication back then was so much more difficult than it is for us in our time.

littlehouselover likes this post

Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: "IF I SHOULD WAKE BEFORE I DIE"   "IF I SHOULD WAKE BEFORE I DIE" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 23, 2021 4:59 am

I thought it was odd, she could have done so many things other than that. A priest lying about death? No, that wouldn't happen. Maybe a fib she was ill, then she was better when they came. Having grandchildren think their grandmother died?
Why couldn't she go out and see them, she was alone, they had family and jobs. The Ingall's rarely visited anyone or had siblings visit them. Why not ask if they could pay for her to visit and help with kids?
The son who never kept in touch, who knows why. Seemed odd, unless there was a family issue we know nothing about.
I know it was a cute story but didn't make sense to me at all.
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 540

PostSubject: Re: "IF I SHOULD WAKE BEFORE I DIE"   "IF I SHOULD WAKE BEFORE I DIE" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 23, 2021 8:33 am

Now I've already sort of forgotten, but wasn't there an issue where a son went off to war and she didn't ever hear from him since the war? (Or am I mixing this up with the one about Mrs. Whipple's son who was in the war maybe?)

Since Amy seemed to be in good health, it is a shame she could not travel to visit her family, or maybe she didn't feel welcomed by them to do that. Maybe she could not afford it. But yes, I think involving all these other people in her deception, including a priest, as well as the Ingalls family, is wrong even if done for a good reason, i.e. because she loved her family and wanted to see them.

I also don't actually now how common it would have been back then for family to travel from all over for a funeral.....didn't they need to bury the people pretty much right away after death since they would not have had the means to preserve the bodies and decomposition would set in? Charles didn't travel back to the Big Woods for his ma's funeral.

littlehouselover likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "IF I SHOULD WAKE BEFORE I DIE"   "IF I SHOULD WAKE BEFORE I DIE" - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

"IF I SHOULD WAKE BEFORE I DIE"
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2