Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Happy Memorial Day!

Go down 
+22
Davetucson
littlehousefan200
Vanesa
Krissy
Julia
alexczarn
LIWnut
flatbroke
Gin
bethandmanly
Carol
pamh36
Amy
Rob
brenda_m
Savannah
Lily
Melissa
Rhonda
ChristinaAL
HarrisonCrosby4387
LHDaisy
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565
Mood : Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Bokmal10

Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Wow. Amy, I'm jealous. I wish, we went to Greenfield Village this weekend. I don't think, we went to the Memorial Event at Greenfield Village at all. The dresses are gorgeous. My 1st niece spend the night yesterday. But, we had our plans for Memorial Day. My mom got up late. Maybe some other day, will go to Greenfield Village. For the flowers. Not sure the name of them. I see them before. They didn't have little sign saying the name of the flower? How was the weather, at Greenfield Village?

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Innoce10

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:16 am

WHAT IN BLAZES?!?! Who let the Johnny Rebs into Michigan?? INVASION, INVASION!! Someone call Lincoln!! Someone inform General Grant!!

Great pictures and great memories, Miss Amy!!!!!!!!
I remember taking a class trip to Greenfield Village and attending school at the one room schoolhouse they had there. We had to write on small slate chalkboards with white chalk and everything!! I probably wasn't but I wouldn't be suprised if I got sent to the corner, wearing a dunce cap.

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:14 am

alexczarn wrote:
WOW cool great photos!! Do they actually reenact a battle?

They really do! They try to make it as authentic as possible. They also have a cavalry reenactment with the horses as well...I saw that a couple or years ago, but we missed it this time. The little kids really get into that.

Buttercup wrote:
Wow. Amy, I'm jealous. I wish, we went to Greenfield Village this weekend. I don't think, we went to the Memorial Event at Greenfield Village at all. The dresses are gorgeous. My 1st niece spend the night yesterday. But, we had our plans for Memorial Day. My mom got up late. Maybe some other day, will go to Greenfield Village. For the flowers. Not sure the name of them. I see them before. They didn't have little sign saying the name of the flower? How was the weather, at Greenfield Village?

I know you would love it, Melissa...you'll have to see if your family can plan that event some year. The 4th of July weekend is very similar.
I went flower shopping this weekend but couldn't find any of these. I meant to bring pictures to the nursery but forgot them. I looked at every ground cover they have but couldn't find that green one. I really want that one under a huge tree of mine!

Joe wrote:
WHAT IN BLAZES?!?! Who let the Johnny Rebs into Michigan?? INVASION, INVASION!! Someone call Lincoln!! Someone inform General Grant!!

HeeHee

Joe wrote:
Great pictures and great memories, Miss Amy!!!!!!!!
I remember taking a class trip to Greenfield Village and attending school at the one room schoolhouse they had there. We had to write on small slate chalkboards with white chalk and everything!! I probably wasn't but I wouldn't be suprised if I got sent to the corner, wearing a dunce cap.

Thanks Joe. Yes, very good memories! I've made so many there, now. loveheart I always thought my friends were nuts to have passes and go there ALL the time, lol, but it really does get addicting. She teases me that I got caught buy the Greenfield Village bug. Wink I can't wait to bring Lisa there one day. We'll get there! Thumbsup

P.S. Neat about the school trip! I did a fieldtrip there in the 5th grade, but I don't remember the one room schoolhouse back then. I'm sure it was there---not sure why I can't recall that! scratchead But the fieldtrip always made an impression on me, and once we had our firstborn, one of the first trips we took with him was to Greenfield Village. Love
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:26 am

Rob wrote:
alexczarn wrote:
to

The sheriff told me to keep an eye out for lawbreakers over the holiday...

Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Fife_Peeking

(Thanks for the GIF, Lisa!!)

Oh my gosh, I love that, Rob!! laugh3 Perfect, Lisa! Thumbsup

Hope everyone had a safe and Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Thank you to all who have served and protected our freedoms!

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999
Mood : Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:31 am

That enactment would be so cool! I wish I could go Oneday :P

Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Happy Memorial Day for all my American FRiends!

:Memorial:

Vanesa.

Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:04 pm

I remember the one school house. They still have it. It's by The Chapel. They don't do the school. Writing on slate. doing a spelling bee. They used to. But, they quit doing that. I think, they stop doing it in 2008 or 2009. I used to let you walk around the school room. Now, you can only peak in through the windowless bars.

Their was log house at Greenfield Village. But, they moved it to Crossroads/Hucklerry railroad.

SALTER LOG HOUSE This 1840s log cabin was moved from Greenfield Village in 1995.

Wow. I didn't know Greenfield Village going to be 83 years old. Greenfield Village open on October 21, 1929. Grand Opening.

My grandma (my dad's mom.) was 6 half years old. When Greenfield Village Open. The people who went there, on The Grand Opening. Dress up in 19th century. It was rainy that day.

Here's article about it. http://gfv1929.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html

Just scroll down until you see The Early American Village.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 11:00 pm

Miss Bcup, that makes two great new websites for me to look into today, THANKS!! Rob's Documentary Heaven website is the other one. You guys are on fire with the good recommendations. warmhands

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I have never been to Greenfield Village but would like to go some day. We were closer to it when we lived in Ohio! We have gotten to experience reenactments when we lived in Ohio. We saw a Civil War encampment and battle at Rutherford B. Hayes's house, and we lived near a War of 1812 fort. They had reenactments a lot, plus for Memorial Day they would have reenactors from the Revolution up to Viet Nam and do one huge battle.

Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 12:25 pm

Excellent pictures Amy... just EXCELLENT Thumbsup

You and your friend look so pretty! Love the horses and the bridge and the cute kid who posed for you lol

Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Horses10
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 4:15 pm

Your welcome, Joe. Smile

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 8:32 am

Lori wrote:
Thanks for sharing the pictures. I have never been to Greenfield Village but would like to go some day. We were closer to it when we lived in Ohio! We have gotten to experience reenactments when we lived in Ohio. We saw a Civil War encampment and battle at Rutherford B. Hayes's house, and we lived near a War of 1812 fort. They had reenactments a lot, plus for Memorial Day they would have reenactors from the Revolution up to Viet Nam and do one huge battle.

So cool, Lori! Thumbsup The reenactments are really neat. I still have yet to see one at the Fort on Mackinac Island. We did got to Fort Michillimac in Mackinaw City though. That was very interesting. My brother in law is part of a group that does WWII reenactments. My sons would love to do this with him, but they both wear size 14 shoes. The 'basic' authentic shoes only go up to a 13....they would have to be custom made (most likely) for around $200 a pop! Yikes So yeah, that's not happening. Sure would be a neat thing for them to do with their uncle though.

Hope you can get to Greenfield someday Lori! I know you'd enjoy it.

Thank you Carol----glad you enjoyed the pics! And thanks for the compliment too. Smiley Hug

Melissa, I am thrilled that you shared that link! I haven't seen that blog before....so many interesting GV tidbits! Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Size 14 feet?? Those aren't feet, those are frying pans!

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Joe wrote:
Size 14 feet?? Those aren't feet, those are frying pans!

Laughing Very true, Joe! I just hope they're done growing! Yikes
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 9:54 am

Happy Memorial Day to everyone. :Memorial:
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 10:25 am

Remembering those who gave their tomorrows, so that we might have our todays!

Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 279871b7edba93df946fa013aaf8a477

Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Rhonda10Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Happy Memorial Day friends!

We spent the day with friends on Saturday at the Civil War Remembrance at Greenfield Village near Detroit, MI. 67 degrees and sunny, an absolutely perfect day. Smile Glad we chose then to go, the weather is pretty cruddy today.

I didn't take these but it gives you an idea of what it's like:

Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Greenf10

Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Gv_bat10

Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Gfv_2010

And here's a video of the "Dodworth Saxhorn Band", all played with antique instruments. Love the sound! I only wish my dad could have joined us Saturday---he adores this band. I'm going to get him their CD for Father's Day.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Great post, Amy! Hope everyone's had a good Memorial Day, and that we all took a moment to remember what it's all about.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 10:31 am

Happy Memorial Day! Americans

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day!   Happy Memorial Day! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Happy Memorial Day!
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4