Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sylvia

Go down 
+38
MankatoJoe
Rob
LHOTPfan2000
orangecake
whitelighter
alexczarn
Amy
Lori
Savannah
jessicamarie
Deem714
Praire Girl
MissOleson
julmer70
Davetucson
littlehouselover
Shell
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Liz
Honeybee
Joe
easyt72000
Krissy
Gin
Brian
ChristinaAL
bethandmanly
Kathleen Marie
emilyanneoftheprairie
Docfan
david
Kristina
Carol
HarrisonCrosby4387
Vanesa
Samantha
jes9
JW
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 8:14 pm

I can see that especially during that time...unlike today.

I wish they had a women's perspective a little bit, had Laura or Caroline talk to Sylvia, not having a mother. You never knew how she felt, they never had her talk about it.
I also don't know why, as others have noted, they left the sign up for the blacksmith show after show (not shown every show though) I didn't think about it and maybe not many others thought about it also, but it was an oversight that I think would have been changed if they weren't just on to the next episode..it should have been put away.
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Sylvia - Page 3 Love-s10

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 10:17 pm

I agree it would have been nice to have Caroline or Laura talk to Sylvia.

John Carter became the new blacksmith, so I guess it became his.

Sylvia - Page 3 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 6:37 am

Yes, he did but that was years later when the series was ending. I guess many observant fans noted for years when they showed town scenes you could see the old sign..they just didn't think about taking it down.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Sylvia - Page 3 Headac10

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:26 am

I agree with both of you!!!

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : Sylvia - Page 3 Bokmal10

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:38 pm

I wish they would have not only forgotten the sign, but forgotten to put the whole episode on television. I thought the story was awful, Barash's acting terrible, and in short, I don't know how Matt could keep a straight face doing that thing.
Other than that, it was fine! I will always believe it was one of Michael's biggest mistakes.
But what the heck, nobody is perfect........its impossible to do 206 stories and not have one awful one. I'm sitting here looking at all 206 (DVD's) and thats the only one that I NEVER watch.
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 3:12 pm

I've heard people say that about Sylvia and The Godsister....for me the scene that makes me almost roll my eyes (although a serious show) was when Sylvia tells Albert, "Kiss me my love" with all this drama...I mean who writes that?

To me, this was like having Marcia Brady have a "date rape" episode...it just didn't blend well and Sylvia was just disposed of conveniently, not like real life. Kill, the baby, kill the girl, kill the rapist...on to the next show.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 3:18 pm

The script should have been placed in the outhouse we were talking about yesterday where it could serve a useful purpose.

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 3:57 pm

littlehouselover wrote:
I've heard people say that about Sylvia and The Godsister....for me the scene that makes me almost roll my eyes (although a serious show) was when Sylvia tells Albert, "Kiss me my love" with all this drama...I mean who writes that?

To me, this was like having Marcia Brady have a "date rape" episode...it just didn't blend well and Sylvia was just disposed of conveniently, not like real life. Kill, the baby, kill the girl, kill the rapist...on to the next show.

That Is Funny!

Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Oh my, I saw the HUGE sign today for the blacksmith, in the "Love of Nancy" show...they were saying goodbye to Mary and there it was..very eerie.

Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : Sylvia - Page 3 Happy010

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:32 pm

I think this episode has deleted scenes too. I don't remember which ones, if any, but there has to be, because there's a scene where Albert is talking to his parents over at the house. He was telling them about how Sylvia was screaming and hitting the boys that were bothering her. He said she sounded like a scared puppy, and then I'm pretty sure he said "no wonder Carrie got so scared." I never saw Carrie scared (unless I didn't hear that right), but I'm sure that's what he said. I must have missed that part...unless it was yet another deleted scene!
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 12:26 am

Davetucson wrote:
I wish they would have not only forgotten the sign, but forgotten to put the whole episode on television. I thought the story was awful, Barash's acting terrible, and in short, I don't know how Matt could keep a straight face doing that thing.
Other than that, it was fine! I will always believe it was one of Michael's biggest mistakes.
But what the heck, nobody is perfect........its impossible to do 206 stories and not have one awful one. I'm sitting here looking at all 206 (DVD's) and thats the only one that I NEVER watch.

Same here, Dave...I'd rather watch "May we make them proud" than "Sylvia"...and even "The Godsister"! Yes! Believe me! This one is absolutely AWFUL... Yikes

Vanesa.

Sylvia - Page 3 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Sylvia - Page 3 Indiff10

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 4:41 pm

It isn't one of my favorite episodes, but I really don't mind it that much. I kind of like the fact that they dealt with a heavier storyline (also the "Chicago" episode). I wish the ending would've been different, but there is nothing that can be done about that now!

Anyway, I will take "Sylvia" any day over "Lake Kezia Monster", "The Godsister" and "The Halloween Dream". Those 3 are barely even watchable for me.

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 5:56 pm

MissOleson wrote:
It isn't one of my favorite episodes, but I really don't mind it that much. I kind of like the fact that they dealt with a heavier storyline (also the "Chicago" episode). I wish the ending would've been different, but there is nothing that can be done about that now!

Anyway, I will take "Sylvia" any day over "Lake Kezia Monster", "The Godsister" and "The Halloween Dream". Those 3 are barely even watchable for me.

The Older Brothers and The Legend of Black Jake fall into the same category for me. I can totally do without them. Although Mrs Olson was pretty funny in the Black Jake thing. When it came to money, that old heffer was something else! Albert boy knew that and he totally messed her over with the bees, the books and the 100% off sale!

Back to top Go down
Praire Girl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 132

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 6:09 pm

I agree with the Marcia Brady reference, some shows don't do certain subjects well. There was no reason for Sylvia. She ended up not having to deal with the 1800's rape, everyone died, Albert moved on. It was horrifying to see the masked man, this was a "family" show. There was enough illness, lost crops, accidents, etc. to make the drama, this wasn't Law and Order, Special Victims.
Back to top Go down
easyt72000
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
easyt72000

Number of posts : 126
Mood : Sylvia - Page 3 Party010

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 10:38 am

I agree about Kezia-whenever I see her I change the channel.
Back to top Go down

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 1:44 pm

that mime mask used to scare the crap out of me!! This was a sad episode. One of the saddest right behind may we make them proud
Back to top Go down
Deem714
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 68

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Was there any reason why Sylvia was wearing...   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 2:22 pm

eyeliner???

Seriously... if you watch the episode, in all of her closeups and even some of the far-away shots, you can see the black makeup under her bottom eyelashes.

Is that the reason she was considered a sex symbol?

Back to top Go down
Deem714
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 68

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Eyeliner and other things Sylvia had that she shouldn't...   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 4:42 pm

I tried to make this a thread in the Reviews board but it stuck to the Sylvia thread that was already there.

anyway I watched Sylvia on-line recently and I couldn't help but notice how she was wearing eyeliner!!!

I mean, why???

No wonder the boys kept on sneaking over there to take a look! She puts on make up!! (that didn't even "exist" back in the 1880's!!!)

Let's take a look at the other stuff she had or did to attract guys to her...

THE HAIR~~~ was highlighted!!! with roots and was worn down..

She didn't pull her hair back/make herself less attractive/more respectable. If she was developing (however early) she shold have gone to Mrs Wilder(Laura) for pointers on putting her hair back to make her look more respectable.
~~
Traditionally, a girl could not wear her hair up until she was nearly an adult. Wearing one's hair up was a sign of maturity, age, and that a girl was about to come out - to enter the marriage market.
~~
^^ this is not saying that she was ready for marriage at her age but if June seems to be busting out all over then her body really is coming out.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Sylvia - Page 3 Headac10

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 5:17 pm

I think all the actress and actors had make-up. But it was shown to look natural.Even on other time period shows the wore light make-up

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
jessicamarie
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
jessicamarie

Number of posts : 142

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 5:53 pm

When I watched this episode, it scarred me really bad! I watched it late at night, when I was home alone, and it scarred the crap out of me! Part of the creepienes was that the girl who played Sylvia looked a lot like my best friend who had been murdered the year before. I guess it was a good episode, but I personally hated it, and I will never, ever watch it again.

Last edited by jessicamarie on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Deem714 wrote:
eyeliner???

Seriously... if you watch the episode, in all of her closeups and even some of the far-away shots, you can see the black makeup under her bottom eyelashes.

Is that the reason she was considered a sex symbol?
Sylvia - Page 3 Barash10

Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Sylvia - Page 3 Indiff10

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 6:50 pm

I always thought it was ridiculous how they had her hair just hanging there. I wouldn't say it was that bad if they even had her sides tied back. I didn't understand why they "styled" her the way that they did on that show. Unless they wanted to make her look more like a "target" because she was maturing faster than the other girls. Who knows?

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Sylvia - Page 3 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Sylvia - Page 3 Happy010

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Deem714 wrote:
I tried to make this a thread in the Reviews board but it stuck to the Sylvia thread that was already there.

The mods most likely moved it there. We try to keep all of the discussions about the same person/episode/topic in one thread so that it doesn't create a bulk of duplicate topics. Sylvia - Page 3 70708
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 8:59 pm

MissOleson wrote:
I always thought it was ridiculous how they had her hair just hanging there. I wouldn't say it was that bad if they even had her sides tied back. I didn't understand why they "styled" her the way that they did on that show. Unless they wanted to make her look more like a "target" because she was maturing faster than the other girls. Who knows?

If we think of Sylvia's back story, her hair makes sense. She lives alone with her father. That man obviously had a low opinion of women. It appears his wife ran off on him, so he wouldn't want Sylvia to attend to her appearance and attract the boys. I think she was supposed to look disheveled. Kind of like a female Luke Simms. Laughing

As far as the eyeliner goes, it wasn't historically accurate, but neither was all that colored wrapping paper, ribbons, and bows they insisted upon using when people gave each other gifts. Laura also wore eyeliner. You can really start to see it in Season 6, and by Season 9 she wears a lot of it.
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 7:04 am

In the beginning show, presents were in brown paper with a ribbon...I remember even when Charles had the angry young man who's grandparents lived in Walnut Grove, his present was in plain paper. I read 1890s for colored paper but England started much earlier.

Makeup was very overused by some, Laura when she was married had obvious eyeliner and blush, even when ill. Mary they were better with, Caroline looked naturally pretty, but Laura used to have quite a bit on. I know they had to wear some, but there is a way to make it less noticeable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sylvia - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylvia   Sylvia - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sylvia
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next