Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Return of Myron and Rupert

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 77

The Return of Myron and Rupert Empty
PostSubject: The Return of Myron and Rupert   The Return of Myron and Rupert EmptyMon May 28, 2018 12:46 am

Almanzo sat out in front of the small wood frame house. Behind him, the evening sun reflected off the windows. He plucked at his guitar, not really playing any particular tune. He seemed lost in thought.

“Well, I got Rose all tucked in for the night,” said Laura, appearing at the doorway.
Almanzo looked up and nodded, but didn’t say anything. Sensing that something was on his mind, Laura sat down beside him.
“You’re looking forward to seeing Royal again, aren’t you?” she said.
Almanzo nodded. "We haven't really had a chance to visit in about ten years. We barely got a chance to talk that last time they were here. We've got a lot of catching up to do. Without Myron and Rupert under foot it should be easier."
"I know," replied Laura. "I hardly even feel like I like I met him when he was here before, they were in and out so fast. It’ll be nice to meet both him and Jennie tomorrow. I was sorry they didn’t bring her with them last time. ”
“Yeah, but can you imagine if they had? From what I gather, Myron and Rupert were always playing tricks on her. We could barely manage the two of them, let alone a third kid.”
“Well… it'll be a relief to not the boys here this time. Maybe Royal did the right thing, putting them in boarding school.”
Almanzo laughed softly. “You know, I really thought we hammered some sense into them when they were here.”
“Well,” said Laura, “maybe praying for miracles pays off sometimes. And who knows? People change. Take Nellie, for instance. I never thought she'd turn out to be such a nice person.”
Almanzo laughed. "I guess you're right," he said.
The two were silent for a while.

It was getting dark. Almanzo set his guitar down for a moment and stretched.
"Have you heard from your Pa yet? asked.
"Not yet," said Laura. "I'm sure they're still getting settled in. I'll check with Mrs. Foster tomorrow to see if he's sent a telegraph. They have a few weeks till the school term starts."
"That's good," said Almanzo. "Getting settled in a new place is a big adjustment for anyone, but with James still recovering and all..." He trailed off into thought.
"I just wish they hadn't had to leave," said Laura sadly. "But I know Pa had no choice. He was away with James for so long there was no way he could really get back on his feet in time for winter."
After a moment, Almanzo picked the guitar back up and started strumming a familiar tune. Laura sat back and relaxed, letting the melody lull her deep into memory…

to be continued

Last edited by whitelighter on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:23 pm; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Return of Myron and Rupert   The Return of Myron and Rupert EmptySat Jan 01, 2022 11:05 pm

Laura sat by the fireplace in the main room of the small house. On the floor isat Jennie, with Rose laid out on a blanket in front of her. Jennie had really taken an interest in Rose in the couple of days she'd been there.

"You two seem almost like sisters," said Laura, smiling.

Suddenly, Jennie looked sad and set the toy she was holding on the floor.

"Jennie, what's wrong?" asked Laura.

"Oh, nothing, Aunt Laura. It's just..."

"What is it?" asked Laura.

"Well, one time I thought I really was gonna get a baby brother or sister," said Jennie. "My ma, she was gonna have a baby. I got real excited. But then she was in bed for a couple days, and pa said they wasn't gonna be a new baby."

"I'm sorry, Jennie," said Laura. "You know, I lost a baby brother when I was just a little younger than you are now."

Jennie looked up at Laura. "Really?" she asked.

"My pa still gets sad when he thinks about it," Laura continued. "He really wanted a son of his own."
Jennie looked puzzled.

"Well, Albert and James are adopted, you know," Laura explained.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot," answered Jennie.

"My pa loves them like they were his own, but it's not the same thing as having a son that he helped bring into the world himself."

The two were silent for a moment, but Laura quickly decided to lighten the mood. "So, how was your first day of school?"

Last edited by whitelighter on Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:48 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Return of Myron and Rupert   The Return of Myron and Rupert EmptyWed Jan 19, 2022 6:53 pm

"Royal, you've been looking run down ever since you got here. This afternoon when you were chopping wood you looked so out of breath."

It was late in the evening. Almanzo stood with his brother out by the barn. Laura and Jennie were inside washing the dinner dishes.

"Now are you gonna tell me what's going on?"

Royal was silent for a moment, then leaned back against the fence. "You always could see right through me, little brother," he said with a slight laugh, trying to lighten the mood.

"So I'm right," replied Almanzo. "There's something wrong."

"Well, there are some things I haven't told you." He paused for a moment, before looking Almanzo straight in the eye. "I lied to you. Myron and Rupert aren't at boarding school."

"They're not?" asked Almanzo.

"No. See, the truth is...well, they're in reformatory. They got in some trouble earlier this year. It wasn't the first time, you know, and the judge finally threw the book at them."

"Royal, I'm sorry," said Almanzo, somewhat at a loss for words. "I had no idea. What did they do?"

"Stealing, vandalism... They've been on a destructive path for a while now, especially since they're ma passed. I think their acting out has gotten worse as a way of dealing with the loss."

"You know, I felt really bad that I couldn't make it to Millie's funeral. But I was still in a wheelchair, you know, and getting around was difficult."

"You don't have to explain," said Royal. "I know you've had a rough year too."

The two stood in silence for a moment.

"We'd better go back inside," said Royal after a moment, and headed back toward the house.

Almanzo watched him for a moment, then followed his brother. He knew the trouble with Myron and Rupert had to have been stressful for Royal. But could all of that really caused Royal to age that much?  He looked a good ten years older than he had just two years ago. Oh well, he couldn't make his brother talk. When Royal was ready for Almanzo to know, he'd tell him.

Last edited by whitelighter on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : The Return of Myron and Rupert Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The Return of Myron and Rupert   The Return of Myron and Rupert EmptyFri Feb 04, 2022 9:11 pm

I like how you've woven in moments from the show with new storylines.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Return of Myron and Rupert   The Return of Myron and Rupert EmptyTue Feb 15, 2022 9:38 am

bethandmanly wrote:
I like how you've woven in moments from the show with new storylines.
Thanks. Your rewrite of this episode does a more believable job of resolving the continuity errors. Here I'm just trying to resolve those errors as best I can without changing anything from the original script. Some of it is a stretch, I know.
Back to top Go down
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Return of Myron and Rupert   The Return of Myron and Rupert EmptyTue Feb 15, 2022 10:03 am

Though he was a grown man now, Almanzo still felt safer in the presence of his older brother Royal. Even now, with Royal lying so weak and frail in bed, Almanzo almost felt like a child again. Royal just had such an easy-going manner about him; a way of making problems seem not as bad.

"You know, little brother," said Royal in a weak tone, "I'm glad Jenny have you and Laura now. Losing her mama hit her something awful, and then with Myron and Rupert gone for God knows how long, she's just been lost. I've been really worried about her. She and the boys were so close, especially her and Rupert, even though they teased her sometimes. But now she doesn't think she'll ever see them again."

Almanzo looked up at his brother. His face was still tear-stained. "I haven't said anything to Beth about what you told me. You know, about Myron and Rupert being in reformatory. I wasn't sure if you wanted me to."

"It's okay. You can tell her. She'd probably find out sooner or later anyway. Besides," he added with a slight laugh, "I don't think she really bought the boarding school story."

"I think you're right," said Almanzo, smiling slightly.

"The two of you know first hand what the boys can be like. Millie and I weren't sure if we'd be able to get away by ourselves. We already knew that Jenny could stay with her friend. But no one in their right mind would take Myron and Rupert."

Almanzo hesitated, unsure of how to take that.

"Well," Royal quickly added, "no one that already knew the boys, that is."

Almanzo laughed. "It's okay, Royal. I sorta owed you one anyway. I still feel bad about telling Pa what you told me that Christmas about who Santa really was. I thought he came down kinda hard on you, not giving you any presents at all."

"That was a long time ago," said Royal. "And it wasn't anything that you did wrong. You were just a little kid. It was Pa. He was always very strict with us kids."

"Well, anyway... I don't care what the doctors say. I think if you take it easy and get some rest--"

"This is one time when we do have to face the truth, little brother," said Royal. "Santa Claus is one thing. Right now we have to start making plans."

Almanzo was silent. He knew his brother was right, but could help hoping against hope that his brother would get better.

"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Return of Myron and Rupert   The Return of Myron and Rupert Empty

Back to top Go down

The Return of Myron and Rupert
Page 1 of 1