Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Return of Myron and Rupert

Go down 
AuthorMessage
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 71

The Return of Myron and Rupert Empty
PostSubject: The Return of Myron and Rupert   The Return of Myron and Rupert EmptyMon May 28, 2018 12:46 am

Almanzo sat out in front of the small wood frame house. Behind him, the evening sun reflected off the windows. He plucked at his guitar, not really playing any particular tune. He appeared lost in thought.

“Well, I got Rose all tucked in for the night,” said Laura, appearing at the doorway.
Almanzo looked up and nodded, but didn’t say anything. Sensing that something was on his mind, Laura sat down beside him.
“You’re looking forward to seeing Royal again, aren’t you?” she said.
Almanzo nodded. "We haven't really had a chance to visit in about ten years. We barely got a chance to talk that last time they were here. We've got a lot of catching up to do. Without Myron and Rupert underfoot it should be easier."
"I know," replied Laura. "I hardly even feel like I like I met Royal when he was here before. And it’ll be nice to finally meet Jennie tomorrow, too. I was sorry they didn’t bring her with them before. ”
“Yeah, but can you imagine if they had? From what I gather, Myron and Rupert were always playing tricks on her. We could barely manage the two of them, let alone a third kid.”
“Well… to be honest I'm kind of relieved that the boys won't be here this time. Maybe Royal did the right thing, putting them in boarding school.”
Almanzo laughed softly. “You know, I really thought we hammered some sense into them when they were here.”
“Well,” said Laura, “maybe praying for miracles pays off sometimes. And who knows? People change sometimes. Take Nellie, for instance. I never thought she'd turn out to be such a nice person.”
Almanzo laughed. "I guess you're right," he said.
The two were silent for a while.

It was getting dark. Almanzo set his guitar down for a moment and stretched.
"Have you heard from your Pa yet? asked.
"Not yet," said Laura. "I'm sure they're still getting settled in. I'll check with Mrs. Foster tomorrow to see if he's sent a telegraph. They have a few weeks till the school term starts."
"That's good," said Almanzo. "Getting settled in a new place is a big adjustment for anyone, but with James still recovering and all..." He trailed off into thought.
"I just wish they hadn't to leave," said Laura sadly. "But I know Pa had no choice. It was a hard winter for everyone, but especially Pa. He was away with James for so long there was no way he could really get back on his feet in time."
After a moment, Almanzo picked the guitar back up and started strumming a familiar tune. Laura sat back and relaxed, letting the melody lull her deep into memory…

to be continued

Last edited by whitelighter on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:26 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Return of Myron and Rupert   The Return of Myron and Rupert EmptySat Jan 01, 2022 11:05 pm

Laura sat by the fireplace in the main room of the small house. On the floor isat Jennie, with Rose laid out on a blanket in front of her. Jennie had really taken and interest in Rose in the couple of days she'd been there.

"You two seem almost like sisters," said Laura, smiling.

Suddenly, Jennie looked sad and set the toy she was holding on the floor.

"Jennie, what's wrong?" asked Laura.

"Oh, nothing, Aunt Laura. It's just..."

"What is it?" asked Laura.

"Well, one time I thought I really was gonna get a baby brother or sister," said Jennie. "My ma, she was gonna have a baby. I got real excited. But then my ma was in bed for a couple days, and pa said they wasn't gonna be a new baby."

"I'm sorry, Jennie," said Laura. "You know, I lost a baby brother when I was about your age."
Jennie looked up at Laura. "Really?" she asked.

"My pa still gets sad when he thinks about it," Laura continued. "He really wanted a son of his own."
Jennie looked puzzled.

"Well, Albert and James are adopted, you know," Laura explained.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot," answered Jennie.

"My pa loves them like they were his own, but it's not the same thing as having a son that he helped bring into the world himself."

The two were silent for a moment, but Laura quickly decided to lighten the mood. "So, how was your first day of school?"

Last edited by whitelighter on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Return of Myron and Rupert   The Return of Myron and Rupert EmptyWed Jan 19, 2022 6:53 pm

"Royal, you've been looking run down ever since you got here. This afternoon when you were chopping wood you looked so out of breath."

It was late in the evening. Almanzo stood with his brother out by the barn. Laura and Jennie were inside washing the dinner dishes.

"Now are you gonna tell me what's going on?"

Royal was silent for a moment, then leaned back against the fence. "You always could see right through me, little brother," he said with a slight laugh, trying to lighten the mood.

"So I'm right," replied Almanzo. "There's something wrong."

"Well, there are some things I haven't told you." He paused for a moment, before looking Almanzo straight in the eye. "I lied to you. Myron and Rupert aren't at boarding school."

Almanzo looked surprized. "They're not?"

"No. See, the truth is...well, they're in reformatory. They got in some trouble earlier this year. It wasn't the first time, you know, and the judge finally threw the book at them."

"Royal, I'm sorry," said Almanzo, somewhat at a loss for words. "I had no idea. What did they do?"

"Stealing, vandalism... They've been on a destructive path for a while now, especially since they're ma passed. I think their acting out has gotten worse is their way of dealing with the loss."

"You know, I felt really bad that I couldn't make it to Millie's funeral. But I was still in a wheelchair, you know, and getting around was difficult."

"You don't have to explain," said Royal. "I know you've had a rough year too."

The two stood in silence for a moment.

"We'd better go back inside," said Royal after a moment, and headed back toward the house.

Almanzo watched him for a moment, then followed his brother. He knew the trouble with Myron and Rupert had to have been stressful for Royal. But could all of that really caused Royal to age that much?  He looked a good ten years older than he had just two years ago. Oh well, he couldn't make his brother talk. When Royal was ready for Almanzo to know, he'd tell him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Return of Myron and Rupert   The Return of Myron and Rupert Empty

Back to top Go down

The Return of Myron and Rupert
Page 1 of 1