Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cakes and Pies

Go down 
+20
Davetucson
Debbie
AaronM
pamh36
bethandmanly
Honeybee
Ruth
Lori
HarrisonCrosby4387
Krissy
Gin
Vanesa
alexczarn
Carol
Misti
Rob
Amy
JW
Rhonda
Savannah
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 5:06 pm

I brought this cake to work and people really like it. One coworker was very excited and sent the recipe to his wife. He wants me to make another one using the suggestions that I posted above (I'm a little torn about that since he's diabetic. :-s).

When I explained the problems that I had with the beans (they smell awful in the can and didn't puree as well as I had hoped in the food processor), it was suggested that I wash the beans first... Too bad I didn't think about that. I did drain the beans, but I should have rinsed them off to get all of that black goo off of them. I think that would have really made a difference in the smell of the batter (if one really pays attention, one can still smell a hint of the beans in the cake when the beans aren't rinsed).

I think that I know what I'd do differently now. I'm torn as to whether or not I'll make another one. Although others seemed to like it, I wasn't all that impressed, though I think that I could do much better next time now that I've made one... I'd be more likely to make another one if I knew for sure that I could make a ganache that I'd like. I really didn't care for the ganache in this recipe and I'm not sure how to correct it (I know it needs sugar, but I don't know how much or what that would do to how it pours and sets up).
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Wow, great that everyone at your work liked it! Did they say if they could taste a strong chocolate flavor?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:13 pm

They mentioned that the chocolate flavor wasn't very strong (which I already knew - it's definitely there, just weak. I'd probably add double if not triple the cocoa powder next time.

After I posted earlier I went to the pantry and saw a bag of Hershey kisses. I think that next time I'd use those rather than the 60& Ghiradelli chips to make the ganache. I'm more of a milk chocolate fan than a dark chocolate fan, though.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 11:23 pm

VFHusker wrote:
They mentioned that the chocolate flavor wasn't very strong (which I already knew - it's definitely there, just weak. I'd probably add double if not triple the cocoa powder next time.

After I posted earlier I went to the pantry and saw a bag of Hershey kisses. I think that next time I'd use those rather than the 60& Ghiradelli chips to make the ganache. I'm more of a milk chocolate fan than a dark chocolate fan, though.

Me too. I like dark chocolate, but milk chocolate is the best for me...and white chocolate is just paradise! grinsmiley

Vanesa.

Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Okay, I was going to adjust the recipe with the tweaks that I made and post it here, but apparently I left it at work, so I'll just list out the changes here.

I gave the cake another try last night. I had plenty of frosting left over from the first cake (I had made a triple batch) and added lots of extra powdered sugar to it until it was the consistency that I liked (and not oily).

The original recipe doesn't make much batter, so I made it twice, and poured each into its own 8" cake pan. Doing that made just the right size two-layer cake.

For the cake itself, I rinsed off the beans before putting them in the food processor (really helped with the smell) and used a cup of cocoa (normal cocoa this time instead of the dark cocoa) in each batch. Yeah, going from 5 Tbp to a cup is a big jump, but it made a big difference. That caused the batter to get very thick, almost like brownie batter, so I ended up adding about 1/8 c. of safflower oil to loosen the batter up a bit and make it more like cake batter. That really did the trick as the cake is chocolatier now.

For the ganache, I used Hershey kisses instead of the Ghiradelli 60% chips. I really prefer the flavor, but that's just because I like milk chocolate much more than dark chocolate.

To be cute, I made a smiley face out of Hershey kisses on the cake, but the ganache was still quite warm when I poured it and the kisses moved around a bit. :-P

This second cake is far, far better than the first one that I made. It's still not my favorite cake, but I think that this one tastes much better than the first one.

Cakes and Pies - Page 3 BeanCake1

Cakes and Pies - Page 3 BeanCake2

Dan
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Cakes and Pies - Page 3 184143 Look. . . at . . . that. . . chocolate!! It looks fantastic!

I love the plate it's on, too - it reminds me of the Avon Cape Cod dishes.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62620
Mood : Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Beautiful!

VFHusker wrote:
It's still not my favorite cake

You seem like such an accomplished baker, I have to ask... what is your favorite cake? I have a feeling the answer will make our mouths water. Cakes and Pies - Page 3 811339
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:49 pm

Savannah wrote:
Wow, you have a good eye! They are Avon Cape Code dishes. :-P My aunt gave them to me a few months ago.

Rob wrote:
You seem like such an accomplished baker, I have to ask... what is your favorite cake?
I definitely wouldn't call myself an accomplished baker. I enjoy baking (and have since I was little and my grandmother would let me help her bake), but generally don't have occasion to very often. As for my favorite cake...this is going to sound really stupid, but the best cake that I have had is the chocolate cake at Dave & Busters. scared They make a chocolate cake that has several layers that is super moist and dense like this cake, but the flavor is so much better. I don't have a recipe for it, though. I do have a recipe for the Claim Jumper Chocolate Motherlode cake, which is supposed to be one of the best chocolate cakes. I haven't tried making it, though as I haven't had occasion to and I generally don't like to make anything elaborate for myself.

Here's the recipe in case somebody would like to try it and post how it turns out. I'm particularly curious as to the measurements for the mayonnaise substitution (including how much to use).

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/ccc/claim-jumper-chocolate-motherlode-cake.html

Dan
Back to top Go down
Ruth
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ruth

Number of posts : 2916
Mood : Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 10:53 pm

It looks delicious!!!!!

I love chocolate cakes... Whistle

Leaves Cakes and Pies - Page 3 RuthKeeper Leaves
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks for that recipe, Dan!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 11:06 pm

Savannah wrote:
Cakes and Pies - Page 3 184143 Look. . . at . . . that. . . chocolate!! It looks fantastic!

DIVINE. I need a drooling smiley. Wink

Savannah wrote:

I am seriously impressed. I could tell they were too ONCE I glanced at the plate. But I was mildly distracted by the piece of chocolate peanut butter cake that looks ready to eat right off my screen. batEyes I need to stay away from this thread!!! Yikes

Dan, I think you are modest. I'm with Rob...you're an accomplished baker who doesn't know he's an accomplished baker. greenS Which is the best kind. Wink
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Reese Cup cake   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 10:32 am

I could go for this!

Cakes and Pies - Page 3 PP6WA
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 10:44 am

yum.I think tommorry i'll buy myself some reeses peices candy, Smile

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Mmmmm!!!! I'm dying for a piece of this!!! thud eat

Vanesa.

Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Looks good. Just one piece please. Looks rich.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 2:55 pm

WOW...Get me the recipe! That just makes you want to forget that salad I had for lunch! YUM!

Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Here's a recipe for a cake that doesn't look exactly like that one, but it sure looks tasty:

Reese Cup Cake
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 4:02 pm

Thumbsup You gonna bake one?

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Thats looks good too Rob. There was ALOT of ingrediants to that too! I might have to save it for a summer treat. I am hoping to drop some pounds in the next few months so I better not even try this right now. Licking the bowl would put me WAY over my calorie intake!

Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 4:11 pm

I know what you mean.That's one candy i CAN'T save.

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Rob wrote:
I could go for this!

Cakes and Pies - Page 3 PP6WA

So could I!

Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 6:09 pm

sweetkrissy2011 wrote:
Cakes and Pies - Page 3 70708 You gonna bake one?

I might try it sometime. I've got a weakness for Reese Cups. Cakes and Pies - Page 3 185146
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Rob wrote:
sweetkrissy2011 wrote:
Cakes and Pies - Page 3 70708 You gonna bake one?

I might try it sometime. I've got a weakness for Reese Cups. Cakes and Pies - Page 3 185146

cool Smile

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Cakes and Pies - Page 3 184143
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Rob wrote:
Here's a recipe for a cake that doesn't look exactly like that one, but it sure looks tasty:

Reese Cup Cake

My daughter started drooling over this one. She's a big PB freak.
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cakes and Pies   Cakes and Pies - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cakes and Pies
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next